Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas to Carlow first week of Sep

Options
  • 18-08-2018 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My lad is due to start his PLC course in the CIFE first week of Sep but the scheduled Kavanagh bus doesn't start back until the week after

Anybody what other options would be available to get him there and back each day?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Train? 0705 from Sallins should have a connector bus from the town centre and gets to Carlow at 08:25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

L1011 wrote: »
    Train? 0705 from Sallins should have a connector bus from the town centre and gets to Carlow at 08:25

thanks, think we got this one, was hoping for something more direct

the train seems to work out at a 2.5hr trip one way

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The TFI Journey Planner gives nothing else to get there before 9am; so unless there is another private service that the NTA aren't aware of there isn't really anything else

I was using Poplar Square to CIFE as the journey - it took multiple changes to the specs to get it to even suggest anything other than taking a bus to Dublin and a bus back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    thanks, think we got this one, was hoping for something more direct

the train seems to work out at a 2.5hr trip one way

As an aside the train station in Carlow would be guts of the balance of time, 20 minutes away by walk/on foot.

Turn Left out of the station past St. Catherines & Turn Right at the junction & go past Fire Stn.; carry on through the lights past Eddie Rockets/Bank of Ireland/Irish Permanent on R/H/S with Aberakebabera on L.H.S.

Keep on going through the R/A with Bus Park on L.H.S. & ALDI'll be in on L.H.S. after that too; most direct way is to keep on keeping on (but you could go left but if not from the town it's pointless trying to give directions to up there, right there, round there etc.) out Kilkenny Rd. through the lights with Granby Row Dental Centre on LHS. You'll come to a Tourist Hostel on R.H.S. & Burger King & CIFE is in to your LHS behind, but on same campus as Vocational School; he can either bring his own lunch or pop across to the IT/I of T for the grub; it's what I did with bowl of soup for €1.35 (basil, vegetable, tomato, chicken etc.).

Let me know if I can help more; am living in Carlow town and actually went to CIFE & IT Carlow too so am familiar with both campus; soon to be relocated further out Kilkenny Rd. when Tyndall College & CIFET opens up in Winter 2019 (he says optimistically!).

For the first week if ye can stretch to it, particularly if it's spitting down there is a taxi rank outside train stn.; should be about 6, maybe 7 Euro to CIFE.

Coming back make sure he doesn't miss the 16:09 Train back; after that there's a 3 hour & 20 minutes wait after that which would make for a long and boring day hanging round.

Depending on his schedule there's a 2:11pm Train too; from memory he'll have 1 Day off each week for work experience and we used be gone out the gate by 1pm Lunchtime every Friday without fail too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

On that train you change at Newbridge, (35 min wait) so if getting to Newbridge station was feasible, the departure there is 7.46 arriving Carlow 8.25.

And as above,the return train at 16.09 is really the only option, but he may be able to hook up with someone also travelling similar route but in a car.

At least its only a week of "hardship" :)

• Advertisement

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    As an aside the train station in Carlow would be guts of the balance of time, 20 minutes away by walk/on foot.

Turn Left out of the station past St. Catherines & Turn Right at the junction & go past Fire Stn.; carry on through the lights past Eddie Rockets/Bank of Ireland/Irish Permanent on R/H/S with Aberakebabera on L.H.S.

Keep on going through the R/A with Bus Park on L.H.S. & ALDI'll be in on L.H.S. after that too; most direct way is to keep on keeping on (but you could go left but if not from the town it's pointless trying to give directions to up there, right there, round there etc.) out Kilkenny Rd. through the lights with Granby Row Dental Centre on LHS. You'll come to a Tourist Hostel on R.H.S. & Burger King & CIFE is in to your LHS behind, but on same campus as Vocational School; he can either bring his own lunch or pop across to the IT/I of T for the grub; it's what I did with bowl of soup for €1.35 (basil, vegetable, tomato, chicken etc.).

Let me know if I can help more; am living in Carlow town and actually went to CIFE & IT Carlow too so am familiar with both campus; soon to be relocated further out Kilkenny Rd. when Tyndall College & CIFET opens up in Winter 2019 (he says optimistically!).

For the first week if ye can stretch to it, particularly if it's spitting down there is a taxi rank outside train stn.; should be about 6, maybe 7 Euro to CIFE.

Coming back make sure he doesn't miss the 16:09 Train back; after that there's a 3 hour & 20 minutes wait after that which would make for a long and boring day hanging round.

Depending on his schedule there's a 2:11pm Train too; from memory he'll have 1 Day off each week for work experience and we used be gone out the gate by 1pm Lunchtime every Friday without fail too.

Thanks for all the info above, very helpful
    He's got his interview on Thursday so hopefully if he gets accepted then he can get a schedule
    The main issue might be that 16:09 train back - if its a 25-30 min walk from CIFE to train station and he doesnt get out til 4 he would miss it unless they were flexible on his wrapping up time in the first week

CeilingFly wrote: »
    On that train you change at Newbridge, (35 min wait) so if getting to Newbridge station was feasible, the departure there is 7.46 arriving Carlow 8.25.

And as above,the return train at 16.09 is really the only option, but he may be able to hook up with someone also travelling similar route but in a car.

At least its only a week of "hardship" :)

Ya we seen that about the Newbridge connection which is possible as I'm off work that week and could drop him there

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Got his LC Results & CAO offer and he has decided to skip the PLC and go straight in to the IT

Just out of curiosity, would you know when the exams typically wrap up end of year? I see from their website they start on 3rd May but no date as to when they finish

Need to know as we have a family wedding abroad end of May and hopefully there isn't a clash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

They'll be over by then for sure; generally they last 2.5 to 3 weeks; obviously the exams're more spread out than the Leaving but Friday the 24th would be the latest date.

Thanks

Advertisement