Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir's awful customer service

Options
  • 18-08-2018 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

My husband and I moved house three weeks ago and attempted to move our broadband with eir as we were happy to continue with the contract we were in. I rang to change address and was told that I must enter a new contract of 24 months because I was changing address. I was informed that I would have to include a landline in my bundle to get the broadband. This seemed very strange to me as we had a broadband only deal included in our contract at our previous address. I reluctantly accepted this as I was told we would have had to buy our way out of our existing contract.

Now we move on to broadband installation which has been a disaster form the start. We were happy to set up the broadband ourselves as my husband has a background in IT but eir insisted they send somebody out to set it up for us at a cost of course. They could only offer morning or afternoon slots Mon to Fri which isn’t convenient as we both work.

My husband took yesterday morning off work to facilitate the technician for the broadband installation. The technician told my husband that he was only there for the phone installation only (which we don’t need). Furthermore the technician told my husband that it waste of his and the technicians time as the phone could be connected to the modem as there is fibre optic broadband going into the house. He said there is a signal going to the modem but it needs to be remotely activated by eir.

I got onto eir again. The lady told me that there was a mix up with our installation, they had no idea they sent a modem out to us and she basically did not know what was happening. She insisted a technician needed to come back out to the house again after us being told that there is a signal and it needs to be remotely activated. I told her that we have been three weeks without broadband and I had planned on working from home this weekend. She got onto her supervisor, still couldn’t find out what was going on and told me that somebody would ring us on Monday morning when they know more.

I find the whole situation unacceptable and I am thinking of making a complaint to COMREG at this stage. Has anyone else had these sort of experiences with eir or can offer any advice on what to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tedheckles

I just went on to my eir page to change my account set up.  Nowhere online can you chat with an agent, the email us option is not working due to "maintenance" and there is no one available to take calls at the 1901 number they suggest.  This is ridiculous.  No wonder Vodafone broadband is becoming such an attractive option to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Had awful hassle with them too after moving house. Not exactly the same as yourself as we were going to be new customers but got totally conflicting information from the person on the phone to the guy who came to install the broadband.
    My wife who took a day off work to accomodate this ended up kicking him out of the house. Awful organisation to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

You spend 15 to 20 minutes with them on the phone every time too. I'm sorry I didn't buy my way out of my contract and go with Vodafone or Sky

So it's after lunch now and eir have still made no contact with us about our broadband situation.
    The customer service is pitiful at this stage. They seem happy to take our money but not provide the service they are paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've found them to be a complete disaster.  They're responsive on twitter, but it seems it's very much for the optics, rather than a real desire to resolve your problems.  Broadband is available in my area, the cabinet isn't full, the conduits and everything is there - but they keep cancelling installation as they have a new policy of making people wait for FTTH, which could be 3+ months away.  They're impossible to deal with, and today I was "promised" something very specific.  When I asked for that to be put in writing, I was told they can neither email nor write a letter.  I suggested that I record the conversation, and you'd swear I asked the agent if I could puke on them.

They lie consistently, and persistently, and then try to claim you must have misheard or misunderstood.  That's nearly more infuriating than whatever the original cockup was.

In order to complain to Comreg (which I'm doing at the moment), you'll need an official complaint number from Eir (which they'll do their best to avoid giving you).  Send an old fashioned letter, registered mail, and clearly state that this is an official complaint, and you want the unique complaint reference number.  

https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

My husband and I moved house three weeks ago and attempted to move our broadband with eir as we were happy to continue with the contract we were in. I rang to change address and was told that I must enter a new contract of 24 months because I was changing address. I was informed that I would have to include a landline in my bundle to get the broadband. This seemed very strange to me as we had a broadband only deal included in our contract at our previous address. I reluctantly accepted this as I was told we would have had to buy our way out of our existing contract.

Now we move on to broadband installation which has been a disaster form the start. We were happy to set up the broadband ourselves as my husband has a background in IT but eir insisted they send somebody out to set it up for us at a cost of course. They could only offer morning or afternoon slots Mon to Fri which isn’t convenient as we both work.

My husband took yesterday morning off work to facilitate the technician for the broadband installation. The technician told my husband that he was only there for the phone installation only (which we don’t need). Furthermore the technician told my husband that it waste of his and the technicians time as the phone could be connected to the modem as there is fibre optic broadband going into the house. He said there is a signal going to the modem but it needs to be remotely activated by eir.

I got onto eir again. The lady told me that there was a mix up with our installation, they had no idea they sent a modem out to us and she basically did not know what was happening. She insisted a technician needed to come back out to the house again after us being told that there is a signal and it needs to be remotely activated. I told her that we have been three weeks without broadband and I had planned on working from home this weekend. She got onto her supervisor, still couldn’t find out what was going on and told me that somebody would ring us on Monday morning when they know more.

I find the whole situation unacceptable and I am thinking of making a complaint to COMREG at this stage. Has anyone else had these sort of experiences with eir or can offer any advice on what to do next?
    Hi NickSantigo, 

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your order, I understand this is frustrating. 

When you move address you do renew a new contract as it's at a different address I'm afraid. 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks you for that Thoie
    Here is where I am at as of this afternoon:
    I gave up waiting for them so I rang them.
    14:18- 14:26 spoke to Eir, she put me on hold so she could speak to supervisor. Call bounced to sales dept, who couldn't help me obviously, so transferred me back, call hung up. 

14:28-14:39 phoned Eir back, transferred to tech support- system is 'active at their end' and should be working. If not working after work this evening, I have to ring them back again, and a fault has to be logged with a technician, and an appointment has to be set up which can take 5 working days!!
    As I said in an earlier post, they are happy to charge my account but not happy to provide the service. 
    I will take your advice and make an official complaint then report them to Comreg

Thanks you for that Thoie
    Here is where I am at as of this afternoon:
    I gave up waiting for them so I rang them.
    14:18- 14:26 spoke to Eir, she put me on hold so she could speak to supervisor. Call bounced to sales dept, who couldn't help me obviously, so transferred me back, call hung up. 

14:28-14:39 phoned Eir back, transferred to tech support- system is 'active at their end' and should be working. If not working after work this evening, I have to ring them back again, and a fault has to be logged with a technician, and an appointment has to be set up which can take 5 working days!!
    As I said in an earlier post, they are happy to charge my account but not happy to provide the service. 
    I will take your advice and make an official complaint then report them to Comreg
    I've received your PM, thanks. 

I'll come back to you soon through PM's.

Thanks 

Tracey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When you move address you do renew a new contract as it's at a different address I'm afraid. 
    Tracey, I presume you meant to say that it's not in fact a renewal but is a new contract?

Tracey, I presume you meant to say that it's not in fact a renewal but is a new contract?
    Hi Seth Brundle, 

That's correct, it is a new contract.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ArrBee

You spend 15 to 20 minutes with them on the phone every time too. I'm sorry I didn't buy my way out of my contract and go with Vodafone or Sky

You still can, It's not too late to do that.
    Frankly, I dont know why you'd put up with being treated like that by any company.

Advertisement