Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pixel 3 thread, featuring 'The Notch'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

From 849e in germany, but doesnt seem to be on the Swiss store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Its funny how the notch and bezel is completely removed in almost all the photos and videos they show :pac:

Apple do the same in their adverts. Any I've seen use that planet wallpaper to make it look like there's no notch on the XS. Marketing. If anyone is stupid enough to buy without knowing then they deserve to pay double.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Apple do the same in their adverts. Any I've seen use that planet wallpaper to make it look like there's no notch on the XS. Marketing. If anyone is stupid enough to buy without knowing then they deserve to pay double.

I dont mean using a black background though thats just normal, but they just had a 99% screen ratio screen showing the videos etc

Basil3 wrote: »

That's about standard now isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

so looks like shipping next Wednesday in the US - Ill be there till Friday - is there any realistic way i could pick up a pixel xl3 before i come home Friday night? 999 dollars == 870 euro approx

That's about standard now isn't it?

It may be heading towards standard, but you're getting 4GB RAM, 1080P screen, 64GB ROM. It's substandard specs for the current standard price, or it's overpriced for what it is.

It's fair enough them telling you they don't want to enter a spec war, but on the other hand it's been proven time and again that devices with 6GB/8GB RAM are much smoother and faster AND on top of that, they say they have moved a load more processing onto the device, rather than on the cloud.....yet they don't up the RAM.....

It may be heading towards standard, but you're getting 4GB RAM, 1080P screen, 64GB ROM. It's substandard specs for the current standard price, or it's overpriced for what it is.

It's fair enough them telling you they don't want to enter a spec war, but on the other hand it's been proven time and again that devices with 6GB/8GB RAM are much smoother and faster AND on top of that, they say they have moved a load more processing onto the device, rather than on the cloud.....yet they don't up the RAM.....

After using one there's a lot more to it than numbers on a page. Guaranteed it'll easily run better than almost, if not all, of the so called spec beasts.

After using one there's a lot more to it than numbers on a page. Guaranteed it'll easily run better than almost, if not all, of the so called spec beasts.

Not from what I've seen and heard. Regardless, it would run much better with an extra couple gig of RAM. That's a given. You're paying top dollar for a device. You don't want to feel like you're getting shafted.

There's 4GB in this one and I didn't feel shafted at all. There's nothing to compare to using one bar maybe a OnePlus. They just have the misfortune of ****ting up their camera every year.

• Advertisement

I can't see the 3XL on the Google Store. Can we only order the 3 here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can't see the 3XL on the Google Store. Can we only order the 3 here?
    They're both there when I look.

EDIT: Scrub that, I was looking at the US store. Odd.

EDIT: Now on the IE store it's saying the Pixel 3 is "No longer available" !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Both Pixel 3 and Pixel 2 XL back on the store now.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    Both Pixel 3 and Pixel 2 XL back on the store now.

R

Mine says no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any decent breakdown on what's improved on the Pixel 2? A lot of what's on the google store page seems software related and/or already available. Wireless charging looks like a nice addition and is there a much better (dual?) front facing camera?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any decent breakdown on what's improved on the Pixel 2? A lot of what's on the google store page seems software related and/or already available. Wireless charging looks like a nice addition and is there a much better (dual?) front facing camera?

Yeah, nice to have wireless charging. You'd hope a standard Qi charging stand would activate the stand features, and you don't need to spend best part of €100 on a charger.

• Advertisement

Screen is apparently a massive improvement.

I genuinely thought that the Top Shot feature was something that was already on the pixel 2. It does looks like there are some nice improvements to an already very good camera.

I am not overly concerned about screen quality I have to say.

Not from what I've seen and heard. Regardless, it would run much better with an extra couple gig of RAM. That's a given. You're paying top dollar for a device. You don't want to feel like you're getting shafted.

I think the reality is over 4gb is overkill for stock android. Sure on a Samsung phone with tons of bloat the more the merrier..

looks like best buy only stocking verizon locked versions of the phone.. chatted a rep over messenger.. probably too risky to order one for delivery to hotel for thursday/friday when only shipping Wednesday?

• Advertisement

Did the preorders go already for the Irish store or did they **** something up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Try again now, the option wasn't there for me then all of a sudden it was a few minutes ago. 3-4 weeks delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just see them there a minute or two ago as of an email from Google...

Not going to upgrade, not enough there for me, thought we may have had a surprise Ultra P3 or something, I'm happy with my standard P2 for now....

I missed all the announcement today but did anyone see if they're actually packaging USB C headphones with it? I see them in the Google Store for €35 which would make me think they're not with the phone.

White Pixel 3 64GB pre-ordered anyway. Long wait but hopefully they fulfill in the month and it doesn't push out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

sentient_6 wrote: »
    **Pixel 3**

* 64 GB: € 859 - *(Black/White/Sand)*
    * 128 GB: € 959 -- *(Black/White)*

**Pixel 3 XL (Black/White/Sand)**

* 64 GB: € 959 - *(Black/White/Sand)*
    * 128 GB: € 1059 -- *(Black/White)*
    Mental prices.

Mental prices.

Add €40 to everything for a start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Patww79 wrote:
    I missed all the announcement today but did anyone see if they're actually packaging USB C headphones with it? I see them in the Google Store for €35 which would make me think they're not with the phone.

According to android authority and android police, they're included with the Pixel 3 and 3xl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I see the Store is giving away a free Wireless Stand with each one

If you pre order when is your card charged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

The Irish store? I never noticed it on mine.

The Irish store? I never noticed it on mine.

Same went to order xl no mention of stand

Same went to order xl no mention of stand

Could be a US exclusive.

If you pre order when is your card charged?

You're charged when it ships according to the confirmation email I got.

Nolimits wrote: »
    You're charged when it ships according to the confirmation email I got.

Is there a pending charge on your card?

It appears so, I paid with debit card if that makes a difference

Nolimits wrote: »
    It appears so, I paid with debit card if that makes a difference

So essentially you cant use those funds now.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Could be a US exclusive.

Ah yes, sorry

• Advertisement

Maybe now is the time to go buy a Pixel 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Im after picking a 128gb pixel 2 xl yesterday for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kooto1982

I hear this news only on this community about pixel 3 notch.

Kooto1982 wrote: »
    I hear this news only on this community about pixel 3 notch.

Here is the only place you've heard about it being an issue? Go spend a little time looking at any tech reviewers on YouTube. Guarantee every single one of them will mention it.

Here is the only place you've heard about it being an issue? Go spend a little time looking at any tech reviewers on YouTube. Guarantee every single one of them will mention it.

I'm clad you deciphered what that was about because I hadn't enough coffee to work it out.

Indeed, I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere not mentioning the notch.

I'm clad you deciphered what that was about because I hadn't enough coffee to work it out.

Indeed, I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere not mentioning the notch.

Well the 3 doesn't have a notch. Just the 3xl

• Advertisement

Well the 3 doesn't have a notch. Just the 3xl

That's true too. I don't mind it on the XL anyway, I currently have a 15mm x 67mm notch on my Pixel 2 so it'd be way smaller anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Battery seems really small for a top phone, had bigger batteries in 2012.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd like to see bigger too but Jelly Bean needed bigger batteries.

Maybe now is the time to go buy a Pixel 2
    Doesn't look like there's been any drop in price if you are trying to get one from the Google store. I'm delighted with the timing of my purchase in May. 128GB for the price of 64GB when the price was even lower than it is now.

Doesn't look like there's been any drop in price if you are trying to get one from the Google store. I'm delighted with the timing of my purchase in May. 128GB for the price of 64GB when the price was even lower than it is now.

I definitely wont be buying from the Google Store. We get enough good deals over here thank god

• Advertisement
Advertisement