Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pixel 3 thread, featuring 'The Notch'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Will any of the funky features work on say a Galaxy S8?

https://twitter.com/journeydan/status/1050412575903514624

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Big price difference between Vodafone and Google. I am wondering is it likely Vodafone might have their own firmware and software updates wont be pushed directly from Google and therefore be a bit slower and would they add much of their own apps.

henke wrote: »
    Big price difference between Vodafone and Google. I am wondering is it likely Vodafone might have their own firmware and software updates wont be pushed directly from Google and therefore be a bit slower and would they add much of their own apps.

That's what I want to find out as soon as I get it so it can go back if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

madmoe wrote: »
    Is €879 PAYG option? How much is it if you decide to go with bill pay on Vodafone?

Thanks,
    M

PAYG yes. I just hope they are unlocked. Sale is 3 days ongoing. Have to decide then. Lol

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's what I want to find out as soon as I get it so it can go back if they are.

Did you preorder yours. Wish they are unlocked. Although I think it will meet google’s price after sale is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Still tempted to try and pick a 3xl up in best buy next week if I can get someone with a verizon account.. I think the only real downside is the bootloader may be locked on verizon versions.. Not really an issue if I intend keeping stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

notcarlos wrote: »
    PAYG yes. I just hope they are unlocked. Sale is 3 days ongoing. Have to decide then. Lol

I really doubt the discount will apply to Pixel. Did you check what other flagships it applies to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The Vodafone price is the the Vodafone price. Its not going to change and its not a temperory sale.

Yeah I see now, the phones with reductions in that sale are marked. There's very few of them actually.

Makes me very nervous as to what state the software will be in on these.

Has anyone else cancelled a Google Store order by the way? How long does it take to come back into the bank? €1800 is not much fun to absorb in the space of a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

In terms of the wireless charging, will any pad charge it wirelessly!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

madmoe wrote: »
    In terms of the wireless charging, will any pad charge it wirelessly!?

Qi-Certified wireless chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kraiox

Yeah I see now, the phones with reductions in that sale are marked. There's very few of them actually.

Makes me very nervous as to what state the software will be in on these.

If it's like the AT&T S8, then I'll be disappointed. They're so SLOW at getting updates. Praying Vodafone doesn't do stuff like this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Are you guys not able to find out this information before pre-ordering? Or you guys are just happy to take advantage of the cooling-off period?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Are you guys not able to find out this information before pre-ordering? Or you guys are just happy to take advantage of the cooling-off period?

You expect Vodafone employees to have enough of a clue to answer any questions about bloatware, network locking, and update timing?! :pac:

Like Basil said, I'd say they've no clue themselves and wouldn't tell you if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Google phones as a rule don't have network customised OSs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/how-to/demo-units-verizon-best-buy-t3852639
    Some positives from demo units in Verizon/best buy.. ill definitely be trying out next week when in the US.. leaning towards waiting for an Irish/UK purchase as Verizon/Best buy versions are all bootloader locked.. not a huge issue for me as ill run stock anyway.. but might lower resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Any chance you'd be able to go straight to google for support if there's an issue if you buy from Vodafone? The google support is top notch and if you have to go through vodafone for a repair/replacement it would be a pain in the arse.

theintern wrote: »
    Any chance you'd be able to go straight to google for support if there's an issue if you buy from Vodafone? The google support is top notch and if you have to go through vodafone for a repair/replacement it would be a pain in the arse.

Your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer so youd have to go through vodafone.

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    Your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer so youd have to go through vodafone.

Found some text in the hardware warranty from Google that doesn't specify.

"This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in the EEA and Switzerland and will only apply if you are a consumer and have purchased your Google Product from Google or its authorised resellers in the EEA or Switzerland."

Vodafone are an authorised reseller surely? There's some mention of buying the phone directly/not directly from Google under the French section of the warranty but nowhere else.

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579?hl=en-GB#ts=7168940%2C9158651

Found some text in the hardware warranty from Google that doesn't specify.

"This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in the EEA and Switzerland and will only apply if you are a consumer and have purchased your Google Product from Google or its authorised resellers in the EEA or Switzerland."

Vodafone are an authorised reseller surely? There's some mention of buying the phone directly/not directly from Google under the French section of the warranty but nowhere else.

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579?hl=en-GB#ts=7168940%2C9158651

I was going by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

I thought they had different returns policies based on whether you bought directly or via an authorised reseller. I've bought (and got replacements) my two google phones that I bought direct so I never paid too much attention to the details for those who do not.

Found a piece on the CAI which confirms what I said.
    See attached file

Found a piece on the CAI which confirms what I said.
    See attached file

That's fair enough. I contacted Google and they said there would be no problem using Google support. So maybe they don't have to by law, but it seems like they will deal with you directly.

Anyone knows if any Vodafone has Pixel 3 up on their store displays? And also I heard that Pixel back finish is prone to scratch but this reddit post says that they are not permanent

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9ncd6i/the_google_pixel_3_scratches_on_the_back_glass/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

After my failed pixel 2 xl replacements, I got an iPhone X. I’m now starting to miss android so most likely will be moving back to the normal pixel 3 (think the XL is too big for me this time). Any tips of the best way to get the most money from my iPhone X? Don’t think the google store does trade ins over this side of the Atlantic

After my failed pixel 2 xl replacements, I got an iPhone X. I’m now starting to miss android so most likely will be moving back to the normal pixel 3 (think the XL is too big for me this time). Any tips of the best way to get the most money from my iPhone X? Don’t think the google store does trade ins over this side of the Atlantic
    Your best bet is CEX id say

• Advertisement

530 euro only, oof.

Most likely id be going for the smaller pixel 3 from Vodafone, looks great.

Also on this point, Google do support your device if purchased from elsewhere (Carphone warehouse, Clove.IE, EE in the UK etc). Thats how it was for the Pixel 1 and 2 anyway.

Looks like you just need to provide a purchase receipt and they deal with it. Obviously when you buy via google they have the purchase on record which means no receipt is required. And the other major difference is they won't be able to provide the option where you can get a replacement phone sent out before returning the defective one.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Looks like you just need to provide a purchase receipt and they deal with it. Obviously when you buy via google they have the purchase on record which means no receipt is required. And the other major difference is they won't be able to provide the option where you can get a replacement phone sent out before returning the defective one.

From what I've read online this seems to be the main disadvantage. It's a pity because it's an excellent service, meaning you don't go without your phone for any amount of time. That said, I don't think it's worth an extra 120 quid to have that option!

530 euro only, oof.

Most likely id be going for the smaller pixel 3 from Vodafone, looks great.

Is that all?Gone down alot since the new ones came out! Stick it up on adverts.ie and youd prob get 700-750 for it. Got a 2 month old one myself on eBay for 660 last week + 25 postage

Is that all?Gone down alot since the new ones came out! Stick it up on adverts.ie and youd prob get 700-750 for it. Got a 2 month old one myself on eBay for 660 last week + 25 postage

Yeah may try that! Its perfect condition always in a case and has had a screen protector since day one, so once reviews and when people confirm about vodafone bloat etc, will stick it up there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Google Pixel 3 and Speck bundle international giveaway! on Android Authority today!

Sharing in case a boards member might get lucky?

Can't remember if I asked this (I'd meant to anwyay), but how does the free 6 months of Youtube Premium (or Music, I can't remember) work if you're already a subscriber?

Can't remember if I asked this (I'd meant to anwyay), but how does the free 6 months of Youtube Premium (or Music, I can't remember) work if you're already a subscriber?

Taken from the terms and conditions on the Google Store:
    Terms and conditions

This YouTube Music Premium 6 month extended free trial offer is only open to residents of Ireland who activate a Pixel 3 before 31 December 2018. Offer only available to customers who are not YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium or Google Play Music subscribers, have not been YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium, YouTube Red or Google Play Music subscribers nor participated in a YouTube Red or Google Play Music trial before. Offer must be redeemed by 31 January 2019

Basically, you don't get it. Alternatively, you cancel your subscription, then take out the free 6 month sub under a new throwaway google account.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Taken from the terms and conditions on the Google Store:

Basically, you don't get it. Alternatively, you cancel your subscription, then take out the free 6 month sub under a new throwaway google account.

After seeing the Mrs changing to a new account after we were married and what two accounts on a phone is like, I'd rather just keep paying than have another.

After seeing the Mrs changing to a new account after we were married and what two accounts on a phone is like, I'd rather just keep paying than have another.

It's not all that bad. I had 3 months free Google Music a year or two ago, and I just switched to that account when using the music app. Would be a bit more hassle for YouTube, where I have a lot of subscriptions etc.

For the record, I have something like 7 or 8 Google accounts on my phone. Most are fairly inactive though.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's not all that bad. I had 3 months free Google Music a year or two ago, and I just switched to that account when using the music app. Would be a bit more hassle for YouTube, where I have a lot of subscriptions etc.

For the record, I have something like 7 or 8 Google accounts on my phone. Most are fairly inactive though.

I think I've only about 5 but only one gets signed in on the phone. The others get the Gmail checked via an incognito window in case they ever stay on the phone.

First actual review I've seen. Fairly positive considering she's ex iVerge. Does sound exactly what I'm looking for though.

https://twitter.com/LaurenGoode/status/1051869040828792832?s=19

Actually, speaking of The Verge.

Do Vodafone shops have demo units in yet? Wouldn't mind sizing them up in person. Tried calling the local one today and couldn't get an answer.

Do Vodafone shops have demo units in yet? Wouldn't mind sizing them up in person. Tried calling the local one today and couldn't get an answer.

tried two yesterday, nope. Just massive pre-order posters.

I'm puzzled as to whether my Vodafone order is cancelled or not. I presume the order numbers increment?

Is this cancelled or two separate orders with one cancelled and one active? The two order numbers are different on each line.
    I did go through the process of an order right through to the payment page (but didn't pay) and then went back and did another for collection instead. Not sure if that one counts as an actual order or if they've cancelled my actual order.

2sblmrr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Is this cancelled or two separate orders with one cancelled and one active? The two order numbers are different on each line.
    I did go through the process of an order right through to the payment page (but didn't pay) and then went back and did another for collection instead. Not sure if that one counts as an actual order or if they've cancelled my actual order.

2sblmrr.png

Are those PAYG or bill pay?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

2sblmrr.png

How are you even getting to this order page? When I try to order as upgrade it's just bringing me to a page that logs my contact details with a promise that an agent will get back to me

Camera reviews doesn’t look promising. Images are sharper on iphone XS max and Note 9

• Advertisement
Advertisement