Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto to Rise to €6 - Are They Parasites?

• 18-08-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cost-of-playing-national-lottery-to-rise-again-1.3599797

Still €4 for 2 lines but if you want the 2 plus draws, they will increase from 50c each to €1 each, so €6 in total - 90% play the plus draws.

Some people say they stopped winning when the new owners came in but I never won anything besides a couple of euro the odd time.

I wonder at what price will people stop playing this racket but people are buying €20 scratch cards so I don't think it will make any difference.

You can now participate in 27 draws a week:

14 Daily Million - Daily at 2pm & 9pm
    2 Lotto - Wed & Sat
    2 Lotto Plus - Wed & Sat
    2 54321 - Wed & Sat
    2 Euromillions - Tues & Thur
    2 Irish Euromillions - Tues & Thur
    3 TellyBingo - Tues & Thur & Fri

There are now 21 scratch cards at the following prices.
    1@€1, 3@€2, 7@€3, 6@€5, 3@€10, 1@€20

There are so many scratch cards in shops that they have numbers on them and you ask the cashier by number, as there are too many cards for them to search through.

There are 27 Instant Win Internet games:

2@€1, 8@€2, 7@€3, 6@€5, 4@,€10

And they have the cheek to call other Lotto providers "parasites"
    The lotto model is under attack from sites like Lottoland and Jackpot.com where players can play lotto draws both here and abroad without buying a ticket.

They have been described as parasites by the National Lottery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I live near the border and they force me to do the UK Lotto as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tax on the stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tax on the stupid.

Its a tax on the poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I live near the border and they force me to do the UK Lotto as well.

how much is the uk lotto out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Whatever about buying the odd ticket when there’s a big jackpot, those internet games they added are like candy to gambling addicts...and they know it... gamble aware me hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If only there was a way not to pay for it

Always great to see our government doing its utmost to facilitate the gambling industry. Out with the hope industry that is religion, in with the hope industry that is gambling. And despite the obvious social problems with problem gambling, all those health-warning free lottery ads on TV are allowed to peddle their fairy tales to eejits.

Reality check:

Odds of winning Euromillions: 1 in 140 million
    Odds of winning Lotto: 1 in 10.7 million
    Odds of being struck by lightning: 1 in 300 thousand

And how many otherwise rational people in our scientific age think, deep down, that they could win the lottery but never think about their far greater likelihood of being struck by lightning? I'd wager every single person who buys a ticket otherwise they wouldn't buy a ticket. It's that common human self-deception that Ernest Becker mentions in his great Denial of Death about the soldier in the WWI trench feeling sorry for the soldier next to him who's going to die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

If a boycott could be organised and put the sh!ts up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Always great to see our government doing its utmost to facilitate the gambling industry. Out with the hope industry that is religion, in with the hope industry that is gambling. And despite the obvious social problems with problem gambling, all those health-warning free lottery ads on TV are allowed to peddle their fairy tales to eejits.

Reality check:

Odds of winning Euromillions: 1 in 140 million
    Odds of winning Lotto: 1 in 10.7 million
    Odds of being struck by lightning: 1 in 300 thousand

And how many otherwise rational people in our scientific age think, deep down, that they could win the lottery but never think about their far greater likelihood of being struck by lightning? I'd wager every single person who buys a ticket otherwise they wouldn't buy a ticket. It's that common human self-deception that Ernest Becker mentions in his great Denial of Death about the soldier in the WWI trench feeling sorry for the soldier next to him who's going to die!

The children’s film on RTE1 on a Saturday evening is sponsored by McDonalds and pauses 2/3 of the way through for the lotto draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

I went to see a psychic & she told me there was money in my future. I've been playing the lotto religiously ever since. It's been 3 years now but I'm sure I'm going to win any day now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭beachhead

The UK Lotto is £2 per line on Wed or Sat They do not have a "plus" draw but you get a "raffle" number for an extra prize-no charge for that.The Euromillions ticket is £2.50 per line with an extra draw-no charge again.The pay out on the Euromillions is less per prize category(apart from the Jackpot) because the prize paid is based on a percentage of the total prize fund collected within the UK.For instance 2 numbers in Ireland will get you a prize of e4 or e5 whereas in the UK it could be £2.20 to £2.80 I have noticed that the Spanish Euromillions draw is more expensive than here with more prize categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The lotto is just a tax on the poor and the thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

nobody is forced to do the lotto..... Not are all people who do the lotto either poor or stupid...,. It is entertainment, your are paying to enjoy the exciting of the potential of winning....
    The same look down your nose attitude can be applied to any form of betting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think it's a far too long odds shot. I don't do it. Problem solved.

OK, I throw the work syndicate 20 quid a month purely on the basis that i'd hang myself if they could all retire before me.

The children’s film on RTE1 on a Saturday evening is sponsored by McDonalds and pauses 2/3 of the way through for the lotto draw!

Next they'll have Ronald McDonald sponsoring a children's hospital...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The Lotto has to be the biggest waste of time and money going. If people want to put a tenner down gambling, put it down on a dog race, or a match, or roulette, or bingo, or even stocks and shares.
    Basically everything has better odds than the Lotto, and is way more fun.

It is the lowest form of gambling.

beachhead wrote: »
    The UK Lotto is £2 per line on Wed or Sat They do not have a "plus" draw but you get a "raffle" number for an extra prize-no charge for that.The Euromillions ticket is £2.50 per line with an extra draw-no charge again.The pay out on the Euromillions is less per prize category(apart from the Jackpot) because the prize paid is based on a percentage of the total prize fund collected within the UK.For instance 2 numbers in Ireland will get you a prize of e4 or e5 whereas in the UK it could be £2.20 to £2.80 I have noticed that the Spanish Euromillions draw is more expensive than here with more prize categories.

59 numbers, so getting 6 is a lot more unlikely than out of 47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's why I refuse to do the euro millions until it's at least 100m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The stupidest people of all are the idiots who think their opinion of the lotto being a tax on the stupid is somehow edgy and perceptive and the kind of thing that will make people think about not playing.

Pretty much everyone who plays the lotto knows it's a waste of money but there is always the chance it could happen and it provides a brief moment of fantasy in a persons life, you pay for the fantasy and escapism it provides not the chance of winning.

Unfortunately the lotto is pretty much the only opportunity to get rich quick without doing any work that exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Somebody has to do the lotto to fund those who have invested in it. The people who play the lotto will continue to do so, despite all logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's just the hope it could be you. Started off £1 per week, now it's €12. I'm going to drop plus, their greed has saved me money.
    I wish a mass boycott could be arranged, no-one touch it for 6 months and see what happens.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's just the hope it could be you. Started off £1 per week, now it's €12. I'm going to drop plus, their greed has saved me money.
    I wish a mass boycott could be arranged, no-one touch it for 6 months and see what happens.

Increased taxes to fund the good causes losing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

OK, I throw the work syndicate 20 quid a month purely on the basis that i'd hang myself if they could all retire before me.

This is me aswell I’m just to afraid they will one day win it and I told them to fup off so I stump up the money just Incase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tax on the stupid.

The 750+ people that have won in excess of a million might not feel so stupid though.. :rolleyes:

The price increase to me just means that I'll drop from doing 3 lines to two and at that it's when I think of it. Used to do it religiously but now it's literally if I happen to be in a shop and think of it.

The one that annoys me is the Euro Millions Ireland Only Raffle where 10 numbers win €5k each. I have yet to hear of anybody winning something on that.. I've known people who have won the lotto, 5 + 1s' etc, even the larger prizes in the Euro Millions outside the top prize but I have yet to hear of anyone winning anything on this raffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The Lotto has to be the biggest waste of time and money going. If people want to put a tenner down gambling, put it down on a dog race, or a match, or roulette, or bingo, or even stocks and shares.
    Basically everything has better odds than the Lotto, and is way more fun.

It is the lowest form of gambling.

It's also the least amount of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I love the euromillion. Either one will nothing at all, €2 or €4, or €1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000+

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

I buy a euromillions ticket maybe once every 2 weeks. Don't see the harm. Half the price of the price of a pint. Low risks high odds.

Not going to miss it and you never know!

(Saying that I recently actually checked a ticket and had won €5 but it had expired?? :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Good causes, the PR part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When the fun stops, stop.
    It stopped for me years ago. It's a racket and I believe it's rigged somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm in the work syndicate which is only €1 per week. It's enough to be paying. Since this new shower took over and increased the price and the number of balls, what we were winning has dropped like a stone. I think we're collectively afraid to leave just in case our numbers do come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

And isn't it all owned by a Canadian Teachers Union?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

lion_bar wrote: »
    And isn't it all owned by a Canadian Teachers Union?

The ontario teachers pension plan set up a company in ireland called PLI, it then lent PLI €168 million at 9% over 20 years, (if what i read is correct, i believe an post pension was involved but most of the money was lent by OTPP)

I reckon thats the equivalent of a lotto win about every 4 months for them.

Someone does consistently win the lotto.

Marvelous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a waste of money to be begin with, but in a way I respect them more for this because they are being even more transparent in how much of a waste it actually is.

There's a 'lotto' excitement across the country at the possibility of scooping one of the highest EuroMillions jackpots of 2018.

National Lottery CEO, Dermot Griffin, said today: “This jackpot is really catching the imagination of our players. With this amount of money anything is possible!

"We are advising all our players to buy their tickets early in-store, or play online at lottery.ie or through the National Lottery App.”

He added: “We also want to remind our players that by playing EuroMillions they are contributing to Good Causes all over Ireland.

The 100 million wasn't won on Friday. I wouldn't mind winning it next Tuesday. If anyone knows how it is rigged please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I only do the euromillions when it gets really big and even then only do one line. If i'm meant to win it, one line will be all that's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I do the lotto in the bookies.
    3 x 1 euro doubles and a 2 euro treble. This costs a fiver.
    Two numbers gets you 61 euro. If you get the three then you get 1,435 euro.
    Far better chance than in a shop.
    I have not got 3 numbers yet since I started doing this in March but I have had two numbers three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I run the syndicate in work , 20 a month for twenty of us.
    I've never actually bought a single ticket , I just keep the 400 hundred or so Euros each month for myself and just throw a tenner back into the envelope every so often telling my colleagues how lucky we are.
    I think we've got forty or so Euros for the Christmas drinks.

I'm a winner every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

That’s what happens when the state sells it for a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Clever, brainwash the childer before they are 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pretty much everyone who plays the lotto knows it's a waste of money but there is always the chance it could happen and it provides a brief moment of fantasy in a persons life, you pay for the fantasy and escapism it provides not the chance of winning.

I don't agree with the tax on the stupid remarks. I do consider it exploitation though. People know it's a waste of money but they have little idea, myself included, just how much of a waste of money it intuitively is.

Unfortunately the lotto is pretty much the only opportunity to get rich quick without doing any work that exists.

This applies to all forms of gambling really. Its insidious offer of a dream world for such little investment is enough to lure people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I agree with a previous comment about it being for the escapism.
    It's a bit of fun planning how to spend it all.

I'll give 1 million to ... buy a house in - No wait two houses or three in a hot country. Oh ....if only.... If only...

Plus+ it's not mentioned here but the lotto raised 200 million for charities in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

That's where Shane Ross will get his half million extra to fund the Irish Womens' Hockey team.

In other words, the poor and the stupid will help to fund the recreational activity of some talented, middle class hockeyettes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Turnipman wrote: »
    That's where Shane Ross will get his half million extra to fund the Irish Womens' Hockey team.

In other words, the poor and the stupid will help to fund the recreational activity of some talented, middle class hockeyettes!

How will Ross get money from the Private company?

pjohnson wrote: »
    How will Ross get money from the Private company?

Ask a grown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Turnipman wrote: »
    Ask a grown up.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The same edgy and super smart people who say the lotto is a tax on the stupid probably piss away over a thousand a year buying takeaway coffees

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The same edgy and super smart people who say the lotto is a tax on the stupid probably piss away over a thousand a year buying takeaway coffees

You pay for a cup of coffee, and it's odds-on that you get a cup of coffee.

You pay for a ticket in the lottery and it's odds-on that you get nothing.

Not all that hard to work out which is the stupider transaction - even if one isn't particularly "smart and edgy."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I agree that it's a tax on the stupid, though I don't think that makes it ok or right in the slightest.

On the contrary - those people don't know any better and are being exploited and are probably those who need it the most. I dislike and don't trust people who say someone deserves such and such because they're stupid - at the end of the day they can't help being stupid, it's not a crime!

Logically, it's a complete waste of money. I think the only reason people do it is because when they start thinking about how they could win they start instinctively overestimating their chances until it seems like a good deal. That's why they continue to feel like doing it, because a certain part of them is being fooled. There's no big shame in it, lots of times I start to feel like certain things are true when I objectively know that they're not. Humans, like any animals do something because they think they get something out of it.

Now you can always come up with arguments like people just like the game or whatever that can't be proved objectively wrong, but in my opinion that's not why people do it and you could do any number of other fun activities that would not cost you money and would provide the same satisfaction.

Now you can always come up with arguments like people just like the game or whatever that can't be proved objectively wrong, but in my opinion that's not why people do it and you could do any number of other fun activities that would not cost you money and would provide the same satisfaction.

What sort of fun things do you do?

What sort of fun things do you do?

I bet he plays Russian roulette!

• Advertisement
Advertisement