Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Lefty Loons protest at the Swiss consulate?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did someone forget to take his super male vitality pills this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are you looking to be offended by people looking to be offended..or not in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Have they stopped making Swiss cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

About time they are taught some manners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Collie D wrote: »
    Are you looking to be offended by people looking to be offended..or not in this case?

Just wondering when my far left comrades will take a stand against institutional racism

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just wondering when my far left comrades will take a stand against institutional racism

Why? You'd complain if they did. Nobody's protesting so you should be happy. Go enjoy your weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Pkiernan wrote:
    Evil racist Swiss deny citizenship to Muslim couple...

Great job once again Switzerland. A model nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I like the Swiss and their flag is a big plus.

458696.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

From my reading of the article it was a perfectly reasonable decision. If they don't want to integrate into society then they shouldn't be granted citizenship and it's not as if what they were being asked to do to gain citizenship was crazy or ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Pkiernan wrote:

We are behind you brother/sister or whatever you identify as. You start the protest I'll bring the Tae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I lost all respect for the swiss when they reduced the size of the toblerone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    We are behind you brother/sister or whatever you identify as. You start the protest I'll bring the Tae.

Far too much effort. Hes in charge of keyboard counter protest. Not the initial protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

More of this needed, hopefully some more European countries grow a pair of boll#x.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do they survive outside the EU?

I thought it would a barren post apocalytic waste land._..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

funny-picture-death-switzerland.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love Switzerland ,

Stunning scenery ,

Great beers,

And Sig firearms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Prob something to do with a shįte load of EU cash swilling around their bank vaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gatling wrote: »
    Love Switzerland ,

Stunning scenery ,

Great beers,

And Sig firearms

I love that they sit in the middle of mainland Europe, minding their own business, stinking rich with a massive military & giving everyone the middle finger.

Not only that, but if you arrive looking for asylum they take all your money from you and if you're ever allowed work then taxi you an additional refugee tax :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nazi gold, Jewish art, shadowy money from all over the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"The constitution and equality between men and women prevails over bigotry," said Pierre-Antoine Hilbrand, who was part of the commission that interviewed the couple."

How does a lefty wrap their head around that?
    Condemn the Swiss decision condones bigotry.
    Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Charlie19 wrote: »

I agree. The whole Nazi gold thing was out of order but they went way over the line with the tobelerone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I agree. The whole Nazi gold thing was out of order but they went way over the line with the tobelerone

and they've slowly putting more holes in their cheese.
    5% year on year
    Soon, it'll be a cheese smelling bubble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

but they went way over the line with the tobelerone

They fixed the Toblerone , but made it more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Yeah, aaand when they made the Family Robinson leave... That was when the rot set in...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That and scamming Zambia out the proceeds of the entire copper mining industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Don't fret, there's a fix for that:

ujsYx2L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

As the character Harry Lime - played by Orson Welles - said in the film 'The Third Man':
    ''Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance.
    In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The Cuckoo Clock, the Swiss Army Knife, The Toblerone....oh, and a thread on Boards.ie.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

The thing is, they didn't spend years inside the EU in the first place.

In any case, this is completely the right decision. The Swiss have some good values and it is a brilliant country. They don't expect you to become a fully fledged, cheese making yodeller ffs.

As the character Harry Lime - played by Orson Welles - said in the film 'The Third Man':
    ''Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance.
    In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The Cuckoo Clock, the Swiss Army Knife, The Toblerone....oh, and a thread on Boards.ie.''

And the cuckoo clock is actually German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pkiernan wrote: »

Why don't you do it yourself if you're that bothered?

People get denied citizenship all over the world from all different countries and by various different countries on a regular basis. What's so specific about this case you want people to protest?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I am terrible at funny posts so will just act as if this is not after hours and comment sensibly.

Well done to the Swiss for their stance on this. If they want citizenship it should mean they admire Swiss laws and customs and will abide by them. If they love Muslim customs that much **** off back to your Muslim country and live there.

(Might have switched to After Hours mode accidentally)

Switched out of it now and worrying about being banned. I don't take rejection well.

Well done Switzerland. A simple and effective measure to weed out people who have no place in a civilised western society. People like that will never integrate so you’re better off without them. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you can't shake hands with someone because they are the opposite sex, there is no place for you in any European country. The Swiss got this right.

In Sweden, a Muslim muslim woman won compensation because she was not hired after she refused to shake hands with the employer.
    This was crazy, we live in a society where men and women shake hands and it is cultural and has been for centuries. If people come and refuse to shake hands because of the sex of someone they really should go back to the backward country or place they belong to.
    They come to Europe for a better life, a better life also means embracing local customs and cultural traits - that is how people integrate.
    Not shaking hands says they don't want to and have no intention to integrate - goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Collie D wrote: »
    And the cuckoo clock is actually German

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

RobertKK wrote: »
    If you can't shake hands with someone because they are the opposite sex, there is no place for you in any European country. The Swiss got this right.

In Sweden, a Muslim muslim woman won compensation because she was not hired after she refused to shake hands with the employer.
    This was crazy, we live in a society where men and women shake hands and it is cultural and has been for centuries. If people come and refuse to shake hands because of the sex of someone they really should go back to the backward country or place they belong to.
    They come to Europe for a better life, a better life also means embracing local customs and cultural traits - that is how people integrate.
    Not shaking hands says they don't want to and have no intention to integrate - goodbye.

No time for Hassidic or Orthodox Jews?
    Certain sects of Protestants eschew contact between men and women.

Or is it just those mussys that are the problem?

• Advertisement

No time for Hassidic or Orthodox Jews?
    Certain sects of Protestants eschew contact between men and women.

Or is it just those mussys that are the problem?

It is anyone who doesn't want to integrate into society. If a person comes to Europe and it doesn't matter what race. religion or any other thing, if they can't shake hands because the person is the opposite sex, they have serious issues and should be told they are not wanted, they don't belong.
    If I chose to move to a country with a different culture to my own, I would need to respect local customs and law, I would not be above the people of the country simply because I come from a different culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It is anyone who doesn't want to integrate into society. If a person comes to Europe and it doesn't matter what race. religion or any other thing, if they can't shake hands because the person is the opposite sex, they have serious issues and should be told they are not wanted, they don't belong.
    If I chose to move to a country with a different culture to my own, I would need to respect local customs and law, I would not be above the people of the country simply because I come from a different culture.

I must tell my family members that are of strange Protestant variety, that are born and bred in Ireland for generations that they aren't wanted by a Kilkenny man. They'll be delighted.

I must tell my family members that are of strange Protestant variety, that are born and bred in Ireland for generations that they aren't wanted by a Kilkenny man. They'll be delighted.

If they can't shake hands because of the sex of someone, you should tell them it is backward, it is what most people would think whether they liked it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Let's not forget that Switzerland also initially refused citizenship to a vegan woman who had lived there since the age of 8 and had 2 Swiss born children and a Swiss husband. She regularly protested against the dairy and meat industries and so the locals were upset and apparently it is up to the local communes whether citizenship is granted. The decision was overturned later though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Does it hurt anyone though? If I refuse to shake hands with you because I'm a germaphobe does that make your life any worse off?

I can understand refusing someone because their beliefs pose a physical risk to others, say if they believe in human sacrifice, but this doesn't hurt anyone. It just caused some discomfort for the person.

And I know it's a slippery slope argument but I do wonder where it ends. We're essentially refusing someone because of non harmful thoughts. Do we start removing citizenship's from people who have "bad" thoughts? Do we have a long list of what is acceptable social behaviour and what isn't?

I'm sure that there are people who support the decision the swiss made but would be horrified if moves were made to silence the likes of Tommy Robinson. Not shaking hands with the opposite sex is bad and shouldn't be allowed. However marching with nazi's is ok?

If we have one "european value" it's freedom of expression and freedom from oppression. People should be free to live their lives as they want so long as it doesn't harm others. That's why we allow nazi's to march, we allow pro lifers to protest with their foetus posters and we allow the loony left to protest too. We have atheists, Christians, Jews and Muslims all in the same country. For any one person you can find, you'll find someone who holds the opposite opinions and beliefs that the first person finds distasteful.

It wasn't shown that these people pose any danger all that was shown was that they didn't fit in with social norms. And a lot of people don't.

As a side note, Switzerland was the last place in western Europe to grant suffrage to all women, that was in 1990 when they were forced to by the courts.

• Advertisement

If they can't shake hands because of the sex of someone, you should tell them it is backward, it is what most people would think whether they liked it or not.

If they believe same sex marriage is wrong, or homosexuality is wrong or abortion, should they be told they are backwards. Most people in Ireland believe they are backwards ideas. We have the stats from referendums to prove it.

Grayson wrote: »
    Does it hurt anyone though? If I refuse to shake hands with you because I'm a germaphobe does that make your life any worse off?

I can understand refusing someone because their beliefs pose a physical risk to others, say if they believe in human sacrifice, but this doesn't hurt anyone. It just caused some discomfort for the person.

And I know it's a slippery slope argument but I do wonder where it ends. We're essentially refusing someone because of non harmful thoughts. Do we start removing citizenship's from people who have "bad" thoughts? Do we have a long list of what is acceptable social behaviour and what isn't?

I'm sure that there are people who support the decision the swiss made but would be horrified if moves were made to silence the likes of Tommy Robinson. Not shaking hands with the opposite sex is bad and shouldn't be allowed. However marching with nazi's is ok?

If we have one "european value" it's freedom of expression and freedom from oppression. People should be free to live their lives as they want so long as it doesn't harm others. That's why we allow nazi's to march, we allow pro lifers to protest with their foetus posters and we allow the loony left to protest too. We have atheists, Christians, Jews and Muslims all in the same country. For any one person you can find, you'll find someone who holds the opposite opinions and beliefs that the first person finds distasteful.

It wasn't shown that these people pose any danger all that was shown was that they didn't fit in with social norms. And a lot of people don't.

As a side note, Switzerland was the last place in western Europe to grant suffrage to all women, that was in 1990 when they were forced to by the courts.

Blether, blether, blether.

If it’s such an innocuous matter, why didn’t the two applicants just shake hands?

It’s a deeply seated incompatibility with the common social mores and practices expected from courteous people in their host nation. Feck them. And anyone else who won’t shake hands with someone because of the teachings of their faith.

As for Sophistimicatedcatman: Why don’t you ask your protestant family exactly what they think of someone who refuses to shake their hand? We already know their answer. Go on then, ask them, for the craic.

A lack of integration by migrants from outside Europe is causing serious problems for Europe.
    It is leading to the rise of far right wing parties which is hardly a good thing, this is due to the usual ruling parties in various countries having lost the run of themselves by wanting to be inclusive towards people who don't want to be inclusive themselves.
    People are getting increasingly fed up of such people coming to Europe, and it is having a negative impact, apart from the rise of far right parties, it contributed to Brexit.

If they believe same sex marriage is wrong, or homosexuality is wrong or abortion, should they be told they are backwards. Most people in Ireland believe they are backwards ideas. We have the stats from referendums to prove it.

Most people believe in the democratic process and accept the outcome of the various votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Most people believe in the democratic process and accept the outcome of the various votes.
    And the judicial process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People who aren't welcome in Europe:

1) Muzzies

2) Mike Pence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

depends what you mean by "accept". and no. a vote does not make something that is inherently wrong, right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lack of integration by migrants from outside Europe is causing serious problems for Europe.
    It is leading to the rise of far right wing parties which is hardly a good thing, this is due to the usual ruling parties in various countries having lost the run of themselves by wanting to be inclusive towards people who don't want to be inclusive themselves.
    People are getting increasingly fed up of such people coming to Europe, and it is having a negative impact, apart from the rise of far right parties, it contributed to Brexit.

so you call being expected to do something that is inherently wrong to you? and you seek homogeneity as integration? so not conforming in something as stupid as a handshake?

JayZeus wrote: »
    Blether, blether, blether.

If it’s such an innocuous matter, why didn’t the two applicants just shake hands?

It’s a deeply seated incompatibility with the common social mores and practices expected from courteous people in their host nation. Feck them. And anyone else who won’t shake hands with someone because of the teachings of their faith.

As for Sophistimicatedcatman: Why don’t you ask your protestant family exactly what they think of someone who refuses to shake their hand? We already know their answer. Go on then, ask them, for the craic.

So you're actually ignoring the point of my post. To be fair I wasn't actually expecting anyone to engage in a discussion about the implications of this and how it could affect others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Graces7 wrote: »
    so you call being expected to do something that is inherently wrong to you? and you seek homogeneity as integration? so not conforming in something as stupid as a handshake?

It's not just a handshake. It's symbolic of rejecting the accepted customs and norms of the country you wish to be a citizen of

• Advertisement
Advertisement