Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month old routine and change in childcare

Options
  • 18-08-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Trying to re-establish LO's routine since I've gone back to work. My older boy has changed his playschool hours to morning. Before little one got her big nap in before the school run at 1.45 so she had a little nap about 9am after her cereal and big nap from 11.30-1.30 ish. So , i've dropped the little nap, am trying to stretch her til 10/10.30 and get the big nap in before the school run which is now 12.45. And to try a small nap at 2ish. Naps all round have not been good since. Now, possibly not helped by new minders. I wonder about trying to change her back to a little nap at 9ish again. (She wakes at 6.30/7ish) and stretch her to 1.15/1.30? Or just stick to current plan and hope that it will kick in? ATM we get maybe 45-60mins at 10/10.30 and maybe 0-60mins in the afternoon which cana't go beyond 3.30 or she wont go down for us. She definitely still needs 2 naps and usually 2-3 hours a day. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Would she start taking some naps in the buggy for you, so you can let her continue to nap when you head out to collect big bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Would she start taking some naps in the buggy for you, so you can let her continue to nap when you head out to collect big bro?

Thanks but we have to drive. it takes about 20mins round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I’d say at 11 months you’d still need the two naps, and if she has one at 9/9:30 then she should manage to wait until 1:15 for the second one. That was pretty much the routine we had at that age.... until my school drop became 2:20 🙄 such a juggle to try time everything! And all the routine books forget that people might have to do school collections etc that can’t be moved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

sillysocks wrote: »
    I’d say at 11 months you’d still need the two naps, and if she has one at 9/9:30 then she should manage to wait until 1:15 for the second one. That was pretty much the routine we had at that age.... until my school drop became 2:20 🙄 such a juggle to try time everything! And all the routine books forget that people might have to do school collections etc that can’t be moved.

Just starting into this in sept, playschool drop and pickup, and small baby.Glad I.'m not the only one wondering how to work it.

shesty wrote: »
    Just starting into this in sept, playschool drop and pickup, and small baby.Glad I.'m not the only one wondering how to work it.

It can be frustrating, and you don’t want to spend all your time while older kids are away stuck at home with the baby in bed. My baby is one and a half now so over the summer we’ve moved to the one nap at 10:30/11 ish but up to this summer she still needed the two naps.
    All you can do is try work around things as best you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

shesty wrote:

Definitely not the only one, I can't figure it out either. currently my 4 month olds routine means he is ready for nap at 9 or half 9 and will sleep for an hour then will be ready for big nap at half 11 or 12 for 2 hours. His big sister starts play school 9-12 soon and I don't know how it will work!
    Sorry I know this doesn't help you OP but keeping an eye here for any suggestions!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My second dropped her first nap of the day at 14 mths, and went to one nap of 1.5 hrs at 11/11:30 from then.Which actually worked out very well really, she still does that.(and bed at 6:30/7).But this little guy will still need 3 naps a day or so, as he is only 14 weeks now.I suppose as time goes on I can adjust him a bit to suit, from an early age.I will be back at work in Feb, but then from nxt sept it will be one primary school, one playschool.No idea how that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

sillysocks wrote: »

This weekend I re introduced the earlier nap and tried to put her down after lunch. Yest, nap from 8.45-9.45 and then from 12.45-2.15. This doesn't sort out the playschool collection times but I was trying to get her to nap after maybe just after 9 and 1pm. Ish....

Today. Same idea. Nap from 9.30-10.30 but she would not nap in the afternoon. Tried 1.15 again at 2ish. 20mins either way messing in the cot and I gave up. Was like a bear from 5pm.... She goes down at 6.30/6.45.

Meh... good to know I'm not the only one. Had a decent nap routine til this flippin new playschool run. Feckidity feck. :mad:

73trix wrote: »
    This weekend I re introduced the earlier nap and tried to put her down after lunch. Yest, nap from 8.45-9.45 and then from 12.45-2.15. This doesn't sort out the playschool collection times but I was trying to get her to nap after maybe just after 9 and 1pm. Ish....

Today. Same idea. Nap from 9.30-10.30 but she would not nap in the afternoon. Tried 1.15 again at 2ish. 20mins either way messing in the cot and I gave up. Was like a bear from 5pm.... She goes down at 6.30/6.45.

Meh... good to know I'm not the only one. Had a decent nap routine til this flippin new playschool run. Feckidity feck. :mad:

I’m definitely not an expert but I’d try sticking with the 9am for an hour, and then hold off until maybe 2 for the second nap. Maybe give it a week trying that every day to get her used to it, even on the second nap if she doesn’t sleep much at the start?
    And at least if you can get that working it won’t need to change when you have the play school run.

Last year I used to have similar times, the baby was 9 months in Sept last year. Used to put her down at 9, and then the second nap would be 1-2 but if she didn’t sleep it had to be tough luck cause I had to leave the house at 2 for the school. I wouldn’t be home until 2:45 so that was too late to put her down. It worked up until she was about 15/16 months and then she started to not sleep for the second nap.

Advertisement