Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help: Turn off mains

• 18-08-2018 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Can’t seem to turn the mains off. The mains key doesn’t work as the nib is longer than the space within the key.

Need advice please.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have you tried turning it off out at the road?

Hard to be sure from my phone but it looks like it's been turned on & off with a grips before.

Personally I'd turn it off at the road and then replace the valve in the phone with a leaver valve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Have you tried turning it off out at the road?

Hard to be sure from my phone but it looks like it's been turned on & off with a grips before.

Personally I'd turn it off at the road and then replace the valve in the phone with a leaver valve

The grips may or may not have been me today - I couldn’t possibly say. I had to do some work on the toilet today so needed to turn the whole thing off.

Interestingly it’s only the nob that turns and not the hexagonal part just under it. I thought that some sort of lever used to be attached to it but not anymore.

I’ll take your advice and turn off outside and change the valve - thank you.

I don’t think I’d have the skill to take on that job. I would be a little anxious because it’s the mains and I think thays gun barrel. Any idea on price to change to a lever valve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The hex part should not turn, its just the round piece that is scored that turns
    if the hex part turns ... :(

can't tell if it is GB, I presume flow is from right to left, can't see what is on right: there might be enough room to fit a new one, and leave the brass one
    In passing, IIRC, this stop cock should be brass, so normal lever valve may not comply

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement