Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fake job interviews?

Options
  • 18-08-2018 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Anyone ever been to a job interview where the job has been already offered to someone else or 'earmarked" for someone else by the time you attend for the interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Hello 1 wrote: »
    Anyone ever been to a job interview where the job has been already offered to someone else or 'earmarked" for someone else by the time you attend for the interview?
    It happens that preferred candidates are already identified. Sounds bad and might put you off applying. However, it's still good to show your interest.

Imagine you have a team with a team leader and a deputy. Whenever the team leader is not there, the deputy runs the team. Then, when the team leader leaves and the job becomes available, the deputy likely has the best chances and instead of pretending that everyone has the same chances, the company might as well say that they have a preferred candidate identified. Yet, they follow the process of advertising the role and do interviews. It's still good to apply as that shows interest and normally you would get feedback which helps in case the job comes up again in the future. Plus, maybe someone the company hasn't got on the mind applies and has a great interview. Potentially an outsider.

It is a different story if the job has already been offered. But it's still ok to advertise a job lie that because offered does not mean accepted. A company might keep interviews running in case there is a risk that the candidate who is offered the role won't accept it. You might get in a pipeline then and get the next job offered that becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Another possibility is the company may be looking at candidates for potential future positions that may arise in the future or another thing they may be looking at is if they may need to replace the preferred candidate if it dosen't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Stephen15 wrote: »
    (...) they may be looking at is if they may need to replace the preferred candidate if it dosen't work out.
    No pressure then for the candidate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Haithabu wrote: »
    No pressure then for the candidate :D

Never any harm to have a plan b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yeah like every single teaching job in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

If an organisation didn't advertise and interview and just handed out jobs to whoever they wanted then employees would be unhappy with that as well.

As another poster said, there is often an internal natural next in line, who fits the role, but if the organisation opts not to interview others for the role then they are denying people a chance to exceed expectations in the interview process. Sometimes people really surprise in interviews, other times they don't, but surely giving them the opportunity to is better than not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

I have attended for interviews in the past (2 past interviews to be precise) and was unsuccessful in both. My theory - it seems they only hire candidates who live locally to the business ( same town) and / or are relatives of the existing staff members who are 'shoehorned' into jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s very common for someone be earmarked for a position, even when it’s the best option many positions must go to interview for “open competition”.

I’ve sat on panels where the decision was ore determined a number of times, interestingly in none of these instances did we interview a better candidate so I didn’t feel so bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Isn't it a legal requirement to advertise the jobs? Isn't that why it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have attended for interviews in the past (2 past interviews to be precise) and was unsuccessful in both. My theory - it seems they only hire candidates who live locally to the business ( same town) and / or are relatives of the existing staff members who are 'shoehorned' into jobs.

I know you aren't asking for this advice, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Assume your failures are due to you, and not due to someone else.

So in your case, assume you didn't get the job on both occasions due to you not being the best candidate, rather than there being some conspiracy to secretly hire a relation or whatever.

This way you can improve yourself (e.g. your interview skills) rather than doing nothing.

• Advertisement

alroley wrote: »
    Yeah like every single teaching job in Ireland

I don't believe this to be the case, really?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I know you aren't asking for this advice, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Assume your failures are due to you, and not due to someone else.

So in your case, assume you didn't get the job on both occasions due to you not being the best candidate, rather than there being some conspiracy to secretly hire a relation or whatever.

This way you can improve yourself (e.g. your interview skills) rather than doing nothing.

I don't agree with you on the above, I have been successful in obtaining other similar roles in building up my job experience, so my past employers in the same line of work to that I am looking for other roles in, obviously did n't hold the view that I was the wrong candidate if I was hired by them.

I don't agree with you on the above, I have been successful in obtaining other similar roles in building up my job experience, so my past employers in the same line of work to that I am looking for other roles in, obviously did n't hold the view that I was the wrong candidate if I was hired by them.

I'm not saying previous employers regretted hiring you, I am saying these two recent job interviews (which you didn't get) were due to you not being the best interviewee.

That is so much more likely than the interviews being fake or whatever.

I just looked at your post history and it seems you have quite a history of victimisation.

Is it possible this is causing you to be paranoid that people are out to get you, or that there is some conspiracy against you?

I ask the above in a kind way.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Saw afternoon interviews recently with 4 candidates.
    The first one in was an inter-county hurler.
    Needless to say,he got the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Yes.
    It happens a lot with teaching.
    Just move on and try to apply for more.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Yes.
    It happens a lot with teaching.
    Just move on and try to apply for more.

With the teaching thought aren't a lot of those hired already doing subbing in the schools isn't that better than any interview to prove themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, I applied for a job where I now see there was a candidate already chosen.

The signs were there - interview scheduled for Friday afternoon (suggesting it was a formality and there weren't too many candidates, I was first to be interviewed). Then the interview started 30 minutes late, they were clearly seeing everyone's CV for the first time. The interview itself was brief (30 mins) and HR repeatedly ignored phone calls and emails looking for an update. Six weeks to the day later, they bothered to tell me I was unsuccessful.

Very unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

With the teaching thought aren't a lot of those hired already doing subbing in the schools isn't that better than any interview to prove themselves?

Sometimes yes the person is working in the school already. Doesn't make it any less disheartening for the people who end up interviewing for the jobs and can sense they are gone already. Schools have to interview at least a certain number of people for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Employers are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

A 30 / 60 minute interview is of limited value in reality, interviewees are well coached and have prepared answers to standard questions. 'Tell us one of your weakness' Cue breathless answer that turns their weakness into a virtue. References can be from effective friends of the interviewee.

So, if a position is important other indicators will be more valuable such as personal experience of the person, or recommendation from someone you trust (Nepotism does exist, but is rare enough, imo).

BUT, an employer may be required to advertise, or the same people that cry foul over pre-selection would be able to make life difficult for the hiring company.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, I applied for a job where I now see there was a candidate already chosen.

The signs were there - interview scheduled for Friday afternoon (suggesting it was a formality and there weren't too many candidates, I was first to be interviewed). Then the interview started 30 minutes late, they were clearly seeing everyone's CV for the first time. The interview itself was brief (30 mins) and HR repeatedly ignored phone calls and emails looking for an update. Six weeks to the day later, they bothered to tell me I was unsuccessful.

Very unprofessional.

Thanks for the reply. I applied to one particular workplace for different positions over a period of two years or so, each time, unsuccessful.
    I got the PFO letter the next day on each occasion. Utter time wasters. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

A 30 / 60 minute interview is of limited value in reality, interviewees are well coached and have prepared answers to standard questions. 'Tell us one of your weakness' Cue breathless answer that turns their weakness into a virtue. References can be from effective friends of the interviewee.

So, if a position is important other indicators will be more valuable such as personal experience of the person, or recommendation from someone you trust (Nepotism does exist, but is rare enough, imo).

BUT, an employer may be required to advertise, or the same people that cry foul over pre-selection would be able to make life difficult for the hiring company.

Sounds about right..... Can't be unprepared but also not too prepared. That's why I hate interviews; regardless of what's said about the fairness of the process no two interviews are the same.

I've experienced it anyway OP only very recently. Frustrating to feel like you're time has been wasted but only thing you can do for yourself is try turning it into a positive. Ended reinvigorating my attitude in my current job which has served me quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It happens, but as already said, it's more likely that you just were not the best candidate, no mater how great you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Really not sure on the point of this thread?

How would you know if the position is already filled, I see you have a 'theory' below although it means nothing, only the person(s) hiring and getting hired can be sure of what happened in the process?
    Hello 1 wrote:
    My theory - it seems they only hire candidates who live locally to the business ( same town) and / or are relatives of the existing staff members who are 'shoehorned' into jobs.

tedpan wrote: »
    Really not sure on the point of this thread?

How would you know if the position is already filled, I see you have a 'theory' below although it means nothing, only the person(s) hiring and getting hired can be sure of what happened in the process?

Depends on the situation.
    Some employment circles are very small and who is doing what widely known. Often it seeps out that C has been given the nod that the position is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It sounds like your experience is limited to fairly crap interviewers. Any half-decent interviewers will

1) Not pose standard questions - will pose their questions in a way that tests the candidate ability to interpret and apply their own knowledge and experience
    2) Pose follow-up questions that drill into a prepared answer to test whether the person is spoofing, or whether they really understand the issue.

It sounds like your experience is limited to fairly crap interviewers. Any half-decent interviewers will

1) Not pose standard questions - will pose their questions in a way that tests the candidate ability to interpret and apply their own knowledge and experience
    2) Pose follow-up questions that drill into a prepared answer to test whether the person is spoofing, or whether they really understand the issue.

In your experience how normative is that. Are all company owners/interviewers expected to be experts in HR.

Dream on.

In your experience how normative is that. Are all company owners/interviewers expected to be experts in HR.

Dream on.

People who have been repeatedly interviewed by large companies and multinationals get brainwashed into thinking it’s all HR professionals out there.

Go to a small company and it’s different, many small companies operate with not one single hr or management trained individual so when it comes to interviewing it’s a bit of a loose process.
    I’ve seen people ask completely inappropriate questions that could land them is serious hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dream on.
    _Brian wrote: »
    People who have been repeatedly interviewed by large companies and multinationals get brainwashed into thinking it’s all HR professionals out there.

Go to a small company and it’s different, many small companies operate with not one single hr or management trained individual so when it comes to interviewing it’s a bit of a loose process.
    I’ve seen people ask completely inappropriate questions that could land them is serious hot water.

I've been asked completely inappropriate questions in very large companies, though that does go back a few years.

Yes, it is different in small companies. In public sector, you won't get onto an interview panel unless you've done interview training, which is right and proper.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is different in small companies. In public sector, you won't get onto an interview panel unless you've done interview training, which is right and proper.

Not sure it will be news to many, but interviews aren't considered of much use, but glad to hear the Public Sector is so well run. They must have the very best workers in all positions.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/11/24/want-best-person-for-job-don-interview/3LB4rwjf6i88GfaDoRubLN/amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwj-j-HJ_ofdAhXJLsAKHQKgBKwQFjAMegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw24AEgwXoErvM6oTDDVFe9g&ampcf=1

Advertisement