Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Alcoholic Beer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Paulaner Non alcoholic is better than erdinger..hard to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

kenmm wrote: »
    I honestly coudn't think of anything worse than paying a fortune for a ****ty NA version Heineken - i'd rather just have water or cordial or something.

I can understand not wanting to spend a fortune, but sometimes it's just more enjoyable to have a beer, rather than a water, even if it is NA.

And a lot of places will charge a lot for a cordial. Whelans charged me €1.80 a few years ago for a pint of water with a dash of lime cordial. Total rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wonga77 wrote:
    Erdinger is quite popular too but it's only alright imo

I don't drink, never did, imo Erdinger is great stuff. Probably as a standalone drink rather than something someone who drinks but wants something that tastes like an alcoholic version of a drink they liked to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Price wise a pint of Club orange etc is pricey cos they charge for 2 bottles into the glass, which is fair enough like but not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dzilla wrote: »
    I think they cannot keg it through existing lines due to the fear of yeast reacting with it or something from dirty lines I was told before.

It'll be pasteurised so no yeast in it.
    I don't see how it would be OK to run an alcohol beer through a dirty line but not a no-alcohol one?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll be pasteurised so no yeast in it.
    I don't see how it would be OK to run an alcohol beer through a dirty line but not a no-alcohol one?

I suspect they mean any yeast that may be in the line already from another beer, which could turn residual sugars in the no-alcohol beer in to alcohol.

I also think its just an excuse for using a smaller keg and a shorter line, assuming it won't move much. It probably will move like the clappers on draught in golf clubs, dog tracks etc though - removes any obvious sign you're drinking it!

Yeah but shouldn't they be cleaning lines when switching beers anyway? and I'm strugging to think of a macro beer in this country which is not pasteurised, so there'll be no live yeast in the line anyway. And a beer line doesn't make a good fermentation vessel, and it shouldn't be sitting long enough for much to happen, and the temperature should be way too low.

Sooo much mythology around serving beer, it's not hard....

Scrap the cap!

I'm sure there's a bar *somewhere* that'd replace a line of something unpasteurised with this without properly cleaning it.

Just one. That probably won't stay open for long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm strugging to think of a macro beer in this country which is not pasteurised, so there'll be no live yeast in the line anyway
    Wild yeast is in the air all the time and will get into your lines if you don't clean them. It will not magically transform your non-alcoholic beer into alcoholic beer though. That would be quite a tax wheeze if it were possible.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Wild yeast is in the air all the time and will get into your lines if you don't clean them. It will not magically transform your non-alcoholic beer into alcoholic beer though. That would be quite a tax wheeze if it were possible.

"Line-conditioned lambic" could be a new selling point if it worked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

Would be interesting to know who has tried Heineken 0% draught and what they thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wicklow Wolf have a new NA beer called Moonlight - they have it on draft in the Harbour Bar in Bray (I didn't try it as they had plenty of good alcoholic stuff on tap :pac:)

https://wicklowwolf.com/beer-category/alpha-pack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Pikey wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know who has tried Heineken 0% draught and what they thought.

Had it last week in The Manhattan in Raheny. Tasted fine, no difference to the Heineken Zero bottles, served in a regular Heineken pint glass and impossible to tell apart from a regular Heineken pint. Not sure what the cost was though, was in a round.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It will not magically transform your non-alcoholic beer into alcoholic beer though. That would be quite a tax wheeze if it were possible.

Just as well Customs & Excise weren't around 2000 years ago, they'd crucify you for it :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

I get the same headache from the non alcoholic than from the alcoholic Heineken. Lol
    Polish shops stock non alcoholic beers now too and Lidl has the perlbacher beer that is actually great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

had few pints of it weekend before last and was fine. price wise same as normal pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Harika wrote: »
    I get the same headache from the non alcoholic than from the alcoholic Heineken. Lol
    Polish shops stock non alcoholic beers now too and Lidl has the perlbacher beer that is actually great.

once its nearly frozen its drinkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

My local Spar has this stuff -
    https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/products/big-easy-case-of-12

Ok so it is 0.5% but I've pretty much tried everything at this stage and they all kind of taste the same. I did try the Heineken on draught and thought it was a bit nicer (more bearable!!) than the bottle. But to me this beer from Thornbridge is the nicest I've tried. It's not got a real strong taste or has that taste like the other stuff which is like they are trying to taste like normal beer with that weird flavour. It says pale ale but you could think it was a lager as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I tried the non alcoholic Peroni recently snd it was nice. Not as nice as original obviously but as good as any non alcoholic stuff I've tried.

Years ago i got one of the worst headaches/hangover after 4 large bottles of NA erlinger. Wouldn't have been half as bad with 8 pints of regular beer. Was in bits all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The NA Pale Ale from Lidl is good.Maisels Weisse AF from Aldi is as nice as Erdinger AF. Good enough to get you through Sober October anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tried Estrella Zero Draught today, it was OK as NA beers go. Not much flavour, but fairly refreshing. This was in Urban Brewing in the IFSC - they also had Stiegl Frei in bottles. I also had a Paulaner NA last week - still think it's probably the best of them but that's dependant on your tolerance for wheat beers I guess.

All in all, it's a golden age for the non-alcoholic beer drinker, back in my beer drinking heyday it was Becks NA or nothing (and I don't like any variety of Becks).

To the people saying drink Club Orange or Cidona or whatever, it's not looks I'm concerned about, I just can't drink large quantities of sweet fizzy drinks; I could drink 1 coke, but if I'm hanging around somewhere for any longer, and can't hit the booze for whatever reason, I'd much rather have a NA beer (except Becks obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had adnams ghost ship 0.5 in wetherspoon the other day.. nice and hoppy but thin and served out of the fridge so was freezing. maybe ok at warmer temps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My local Tesco has an incredible selection of non alcoholic beers and spirits. Largest I've seen anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 miglaws84

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Baltika 0 is very good.

I think it’s one of the best AF beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Had Brew dog Punk IPA alcohol free. Not bad flavour but noticeable lack of body. Would like to do a side by side taste with nanny state.

Advertisement