Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advertising business

Options
  • 18-08-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Im about to start and register for making signs as sole trader, now signs i can do are most common ones you'd see on vehicles, vans 1-4 color vinyl signs company name phone logo etc.

now to be honest i havent even done van sign yet, i can do entire design print side, but im at a loss how to get customers, living in small town 20k+ population, funny enough i was going to go for BTEA but they even have 500e grant for signs.

Now i know my cons since i cant do printed graphics which is an expensive investment for large scale designs.

Social media is evenly populated with people offering similar services smaller scale but still plenty of competition around and seems not much interest.

So im looking at options how to reach people that are starting out, and need inexpressive solution to get their signs up.

As atm it seems like knocking on doors whoever might own a van etc, or trying my luck online but theres quite few drawbacks to it as well.

Now im not a dummy and while its cheap to make signs themselves competition is harsh so its long term business route just to get few customers.

Any advice suggestions appreciated, as missed quite few fairs this year, which was stupid of me to get idea whats in demand and pricing etc against competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So you’re a designer? Are you qualified in any way?

You know what other companies are charging for this service. How are you going to win the business from them - price or service?

Not having the equipment is not a problem, you can farm that out. But it will eat into your profit margins. But be careful of being a sole trader and buying anything on behalf of other people - what if your customer doesn’t pay you, for whatever reason. You’ll still have to pay your supplier.

How are you going to fit the signs and where?

Getting the business is all about getting your name out there to your marketplace - van drivers and owners of vans. Leaflet drops to industrial estates in neighbouring towns/cities, advertise in local press, pick up the phone and call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Hi thanks for response. ive been in and out of graphics design for 10 years hobby of mine, had to refresh a lot of skills regarding cutting signs, as ive used to digital painting but working with few colors and vectors is different hurdle, but am at the point where i can develop samples and see what works regarding designs and how to implement different techniques and make them from drafts to finished product.

I have rough idea of pricing on competition, and can easily cut trough that as ive little to none overhead, thou that said competition has equipment thats easily in 20-30k range, and premises, staff to work on different tasks or offer wider range of services full wraps,printed graphics, cards brochures etc.

now i went trough process of start your own business, but it gives just bare bone information drill, thou i learned a lot of quirks regarding insurance getting paid etc. So idea is going to customer developing design once agreed taking deposit and doing job - as seems current situation is designed is such way that if going to trade from home where customers can come you have to get insurance which costs good bit of cash, accountant and so on, which is not bad, but total overkill for a startup.

equipment part is sort of sorted and have a good pile of materials, this comes out of my savings end, that's been compiled over the months.

Fitting signs is prob hardest part but have someone who can help on that side its tricky but forgiving part if messing up as nothing is set in stone until its fully complete.

Thou as said target area is vehicle signs specially those starting up, store fronts not excluded but its different process that id go latter in.

guess my question narrows down how do i find and reach people that are starting in business, for new premises its a bit easier since once you see new works on premises you can approach owner and offer services, garages , small dealerships is another area i could cut in and just approach potential customers.

As main trouble i find now its not amount of competition but businesses that have as outlined above range of services, and are established which makes it basically impossible to enter since they have companies that will contract for them almost every bit of signage they need.

And as a startup even thou i could it wouldnt be profitable to invest cash on such scale to offer every service there is regarding signs.

As side question is there any drawback of being sole trader, as most likely will have to work part time to substitute income, as this isnt new idea and will take good amount of time to get profitable and going if it works out. Or should i scavenge for few jobs and then registering. As ill be stepping of social completely, but want to maintain my tax contributions for pension etc. As ive got savings to last me good while, but before getting job i want to have a proper go at my own venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Maybe if we step back a process it might help. Where do van companies market themselves? Since if you’re buying one you may be in need of your services.

Maybe contact some van resellers and ask them.

As for sole trader, the advantage is less paperwork, the disadvantage is you are personally liable for any debts your business may have. Hence why taking on debt on behalf of someone else can be risky. Unless you have a rock solid credit policy start-ups, like yourself, are very vulnerable to people and companies who may take advantage - do it to them before they do it you!!!

thank you for breakdown, first paragraph definitely makes sense. As for debt everything is sourced by paying in advance for materials- so no credit line is used, liability part exists but its slim and in most cases can be assessed prior taking on any jobs.

Thanks for input.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You say others offer a wide range of services, whats stopping you doing the same to try give yourself more options of work to begin with? You could still target the same types of companies who have vehicles but offer them a full graphic design service. Outsourcing printing would eat into your margains but it would allow you to offer more if you are struggling with drumming up business in the van graphics side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I can't speak for the industry but I did some work with a long term client who discussed their signage this year. One was for a new premises, the other for a new van.

Being honest, it cost very little, competition was steep and they have a huge amount of options. Unless you are bring a new twist, niche or something then I don't see you making money. Take one look at VistaPrint and you'll know what I mean.

well aware of them companies, their huge simple aluminum cutter can run 20k in cost, same for any wooden, metal signs machinery.

have good few ideas where to advertise and how to reach customers, just need to see whats in demand, as other option suggested brings little to none profits as you basically outsource all the work. Its tight business alright only option is to do small works or stuff that big companies wouldn't bother doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

Many big companies do small one off jobs at competitive prices and how do people find them? Google van sign printer [county] at the moment they need them and small startups have little extra cash to spend on extra bells and whistles and established companies deal with established companies.

I would find a way to test the market before spending much money.

Advertisement