Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have an idea that I think will boost a sector

Options
  • 19-08-2018 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

This is probably going to sound stupid, but I've an idea that I think could bring alot of money to a certain sector. Im wondering where I should go in order to get my cut.
    This is a terrible example but my idea would be like the person who suggested cutting a hatch in the side of a fast food restaurant so cars could drive up, people order and pay for there food and drive off without getting out of there car (my idea is much better than that) how would the person who came up with the idea of the drive through make money from it if they were not working in the fast food sector or involved in the r and d field ?
    Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Be the best at cutting hatches in fast food joints.
    There's very little you can do to protect an idea. All you can do is leverage as much as possible and add as much value as possible.

You could trying naming it and your company together, creates association.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Have you validated the idea with people in the industry? The fundamental way to make money is to solve a problem or fill a market gap e.g If you could save McD's 50c on each coke they poured for zero money in, you'd be a billionaire overnight. If they saved 50c on each coke but it cost a billion to implement, they'll likely pass.

I'm a huge proponent of talking to people in the industry with your idea. Its unlikely to be original or novel, no disrespect intended, so it's either not feasible, has been done already and failed (for good reason) or it's been done but not well. The outcome of that conversation will shape your value proposition. Do this first before you ever go near trying to protect or monetise an idea as it could save you a great deal or rocketship your marketing / segmentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your idea is a concept, a different methodology of doing things. So you want to monetize the concept. Can it be described or have an outline of key steps for this unique process? Then that could be protected. I'd be very careful of disclosure.

Document the concept in detail, incl drawings scetches etc. Return to it some days later and read it afresh. That will give you a more objective analysis and may lead to a 2nd draft.
    If it really still stands up, sometimes obvious things aren't that obvious, I would approach a professional in the field of registering your unique concept.

The guy that made a lot of money be telling the American airline to stop putting the lettuce leaf on the meal plate, sounds very wacky, but true.
    Hardly anyone ate the leaf. It was a total waste.
    BTW of course he did not tell them the saving he would make for them until they had signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You see things like this a lot on dragons den and it's why they always highlight how important it is that they act straight away so they become the go to company for creating "hatches" because once the cat is out of the bag others will be all over it and if they have deeper pockets it's hard to compete. You want to be the Apple of the industry and not the company that made the first mp3 player that kicked things off but no one ever heard of again!

How close to the hatch apology is it? Is there anyway that this could be something that you could copyright or try get a patent for?

Advertisement