Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Positive water pump

• 19-08-2018 9:26am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

have a rain water system installed -diy style.
    Feeds ext taps and toilet.
    Watermill pump housing broke so need a replacement single positive head on-demand pump.
    What power of pump needed for garden/car washing - 1.5 bar + ?

any recommendations ?
    these any good - https://www.taps4less.ie/PP/ST-49086-NEW.html

Q - if I got a twin impeller - how could I get this to work on a single line ?

thx

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

have a rain water system installed -diy style.
    Feeds ext taps and toilet.
    Watermill pump housing broke so need a replacement single positive head on-demand pump.
    What power of pump needed for garden/car washing - 1.5 bar + ?

any recommendations ?
    these any good - https://www.taps4less.ie/PP/ST-49086-NEW.html

Q - if I got a twin impeller - how could I get this to work on a single line ?

thx

K

If you require 1,5 Bar (15M) then the above pump's flow rate is 4.8 LPM, if 1 bar (10M) is your minimum accepted pressure then the flow rate is 9.2 LPM.(See the pump curves in your link, above)
    You could IMO get a twin impeller (double ended) one but make sure that you have a large diameter line, say 1" supplying both pump suction tails, then T off the two discharges. You should get close to double the flowrates then at the above pump pressures, ie 9.6 LPM @ 1.5 Bar & 18.4 LPM @ 1.0 Bar. ( But make sure to look at this pump; pump curve before buying)

I think they also do a 3.3 Bar (single) head which will give you similar flow rates as "doubling up" above and may not be hugely more expensive. There is a single (brass bodied and much longer lasting) Monsoon as well but its probably 3 times the cost of the plastic bodied one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have two ibc's with 2000 litres of water, supplied to the pump by 3/4", then into a pump, then onto a filter and then 1/2" pipe afterwards.

Am I better off with an entry level unit ? - https://www.taps4less.ie/PP/ST-46503.html

I have two ibc's with 2000 litres of water, supplied to the pump by 3/4", then into a pump, then onto a filter and then 1/2" pipe afterwards.

Am I better off with an entry level unit ? - https://www.taps4less.ie/PP/ST-46503.html

Yes, I think you are better off using the single, one thing to check out is the rating, some shower type pumps are only rated for 30 mins on & 30 mins off (which still might be quite adequate for your requirements) although I didn't see it mentioned in your link above.

Thanks John - great info for the pump newbie, will keep an eye on adverts etc and the items you mentioned.

It'll never be on for 30mins a go.taps, toilet, car wash.
    Info is power - if something good comes along - twin or single - I know what to check.

thanks again

K

Thanks John - great info for the pump newbie, will keep an eye on adverts etc and the items you mentioned.

It'll never be on for 30mins a go.taps, toilet, car wash.
    Info is power - if something good comes along - twin or single - I know what to check.

thanks again

K

One other thing there, you say in post No3 that there is a filter on the discharge after the filter, I presume/hope you have some form of coarse filtration on the run off into the IBC's as you don't want any crap getting into the pump suction.

• Advertisement

All covered - mesh beside the gutter outlet (leaves etc), fine mesh filter to 70microns, with half a chlorine tablet in the middle of the filter.  Then post pump - a charcoal filter to 22 microns removing fine dirt and the chlorine. :)

John.G wrote: »
    Yes, I think you are better off using the single, one thing to check out is the rating,

My setup can be changed, as most pumps 2nd hand are dual.
    I could attach each ibc to each 3/4 inlet.
    But can I have the two outlets attached to a 3/4 T and then reduce to 1/2 after ?

Thx

K

My setup can be changed, as most pumps 2nd hand are dual.
    I could attach each ibc to each 3/4 inlet.
    But can I have the two outlets attached to a 3/4 T and then reduce to 1/2 after ?

Thx

K

I don't see any reason why you can't reduce it to 1/2", the length and ID of the 1/2" will obviously reduce the flow rate compared to a 3/4" but it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on the pump, if you give me some idea of the length of the 1/2" pipe and a reasonably accurate ID of the pipe then I can tell you reasonably accurately what the final head/flow should be.

John.G wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why you can't reduce it to 1/2", the length and ID of the 1/2" will obviously reduce the flow rate compared to a 3/4" but it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on the pump, if you give me some idea of the length of the 1/2" pipe and a reasonably accurate ID of the pipe then I can tell you reasonably accurately what the final head/flow should be.

Hi, it's a standard 1/2 copper pipe, feeding outside taps and a toilet, i was more concerned with the effect on the pump. If the twin works, I'll go with one of them so.

Thx.

Advertisement