Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre and post Nutrition

• 19-08-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭

What's everyone's go to fuel. Any tips or advice?
    When out on the trail I used to be a banana and nutri grain bar man myself but this year have started taking a couple of High5 isogels with me instead which i find give better energy (certainly different or more instantaneous). Usually have the camal bak for water.
    Any other opinions on whats good before or after a 2 or 3hr spin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Used to load up on porridge before morning spins, but now just have a glass of water before heading out. Find I've a lot more energy.

Usually have a banana during.

Usually have the porridge afterwards now with water, coconut oil and blueberries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Used to load up on porridge before morning spins, but now just have a glass of water before heading out. Find I've a lot more energy.

Usually have a banana during.

Usually have the porridge afterwards now with water, coconut oil and blueberries.

Funny you say that about porridge, if i was having breakfast I would take it but am unconvinced its the mystical super food some believe it is. I often find i have more energy on the days i don't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends how soon before. Porridge is for more sustained energy rather than quick release sugars like gels and bananas.

Fwiw, Porridge with fruit, and maybe some honey or maple syrup pre ride for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The Downtime podcast series has an excellent interview with KJ Sharp, where she talks at length about nutrition, from an Enduro race perspective and the demands placed on the body and its limitations in how it can accept nutrition. She does a good job of explaining the science without requiring you to crack open a Biology book to follow what she's saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Couple of boiled eggs 1st thing, then a load of coca-cola and mars bars! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Couple of boiled eggs 1st thing, then a load of coca-cola and mars bars! :)

Prefer a club lemon and snickers myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jvan wrote: »
    Prefer a club lemon and snickers myself :)

Ha! Well, usually I don't eat anything on a 2 to 3 hour spin or so, it's too short, maybe a few jelly's if the energy levels drop..

I did the 52k Cooley Thriller and just had a banana, power bar, mars bar bits and cola/water, was grand for almost 5 hours in the saddle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm not a fan of gels so I have found these are rocket fuel for snacks on a spin. They taste great and are absolutely loaded with sugar https://www.huntoffice.ie/mrs-crimbles-mixed-berry-oat-flapjack-65g-pack-of-18-a08029.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Before most spins I'd have something like 2 fried eggs, black pudding and lots of coffee with real cream.

Banana or even better some meat mid spin and chocolate if tired towards end but try to avoid sugar.

At recent Enduros, the lunch has been ham and cheese baps - real ham like you'd get at home! They've been keeping me going pretty well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

If its a full day I'll start with porridge and fruit for breakfast, and coffee, never forget the coffee.

Then about 30 minutes before I start riding a banana, and water. Then I'll carry a bottle or a hydration bladder and sip on that throughout the day. I think the recommendation is 0.5 - 1l per hour (more if it's hot). And some food every 30-45 minutes if you're riding for more than 2 hours.

Bananas work, as do the Nutrigrain type bars with nuts & chocolate. I've tried the isogels as well, but find them better for a short sudden bust rather than all day energy. The ones with caffeine work well to get through the last half hour or so of a long ride.

I tried one of those SIS energy/protein bars on my last long ride... let's say I won't be doing that again. I must have burnt off all the energy that gave just trying to chew the thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement