Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle loosing.

Options
  • 19-08-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

hi I changed a saddle out there recently on a bike for a friend and the friend took it out for a spin day 1 and it was perfect and did over 100km. On day 2 the friend cycled it 10km and the saddle started to slide forward and back. when I changed out the saddle at the time I tightened the bolt on the saddle as good as I could. I dont understand how it became loose after tightening it well the first time.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how this happened or what can I do to prevent that happening again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If it was newly fitted was it fitted correctly?

Vibration can loosen parts too. When a new thing is fitted it's no harm to retighten the fixings after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorneliusJames

Have you tried a lock tight paste on the bolts? Or a "plumber's tape" on the bolt threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I tightened the bolt on the saddle as good as I could....
    :eek::eek::eek:

Cycling bolts usually have specific torques - over tightening them could lead to much bigger problems.

Are the saddle rails seated correctly on the metal plate which the bolt is attached to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Were your hands greasy/oily when you changed the saddle? if they were, there could be oil/grease on the rails and until this is cleaned off, the saddle could move. (remove the saddle and clean the rails and the saddle clamp with white a cloth dipped into white spirits)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

:eek::eek::eek:

Cycling bolts usually have specific torques - over tightening them could lead to much bigger problems.

Are the saddle rails seated correctly on the metal plate which the bolt is attached to?

I tightened to spec torque but it loosened. it's a cheap bike anyway so I'm not worried about it and it's not carbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Use some blue loctite on the bolt and see if that holds it.

Advertisement