Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant Get a Helmet That Doesnt Look Ridiculous...

Options
  • 19-08-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking everywhere for a helmet that fits snugly on my head, this guys helmet in this video @ 0:01 from another thread is a perfect example of what Im looking for:

I really want something like that but everything I try just sits on top of my skull like a mushroom, its too embarrassing. I dont have a weirdly shaped head or anything, Id go for a large baseball cap on holiday or hiking or whatever but thats about it, any other headgear Ive had to wear fits perectly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I found the Kask ones to be quite a nice fit, and doesn't have the sort of mushroom-head look. Very light, looks well I think. Expensive though (about 160eur):

https://www.kask.com/en/cycling/helmets/mojito_24_3.htm

I crashed and when I looked closely inside the helmet, it had split slightly - didn't even know I hit my head, but I checked it just in case as there was a little tiny scuff on the outside...anyway, point is that they gave me a new helmet for 50% off the RRP, so I thought that was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was in similar situation last year, always looked like a mushroom.

I found a Kask too seems to look ok, even on my odd shaped head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Similar... Eventually got sorted with an Ekoi Corsa Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Similar... Eventually got sorted with an Ekoi Corsa Light.
    That looks ideal thanks, pricey though, also every helmet I've ever looked at has looked great then sat on my head like a top hat. I suppose I'll just have to go into a bricks and mortar and try them on. Or just go back to wearing a beanie hat when it gets cold...

Helmets in Lidl tomorrow with built in flashing LEDs, hopefully they'll fit me, any big heads ever try them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What size is your head? Are you sure your not getting a size L when a size M would fit?

I have 3 helmets and they all look neat and tidy.

Uvex Ultrasonic Race
    BBB Kite
    Briko GAS

They’re all size M. My head is 58cm and so I always go for a helmet where 58cm is the upper size ie 55-58cm. They all fit perfectly and have room to spare where I can wear a cap underneath in winter.

I also had a Kask Protone but sold it as I didn’t like how deep it sat on my head, it was a lovely helmet and looked well but I just didn’t like it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Get over the vanity. Simple as that.

Here's the tale I tell everyone who doesn't believe in wearing a helmet...
    Imagine a child who was slowly dying from a brain injury. Sitting up in bed, chatting away. His injury was inoperable.
    Imagine his devastated parents having to come to terms with it.
    He had come off his bike at <10mph.
    He shared a ward with my daughter who was undergoing brain cancer treatment a few years back.

People's opinions change on helmet use as soon as they hear this.

OP, I know you are asking for a helmet, so you are one of the sensible ones. So don't get hung up on the looks (we all look like a mushroom or the top of a mickey when wearing them!), so don't get hung up on the looks-just buy a helmet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

please keep it on topic to the actual purchasing of a helmet based on the OP's question - otherwise i'll be moving comments about the efficacy of helmets to the megathread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I had the same issue with the mushroom effect. I got the Carnac Notus Road Helmet from Planetx and it fits great. Although it is a bit on the warm side but that’s due to my head always getting very hot with the slightest exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Met Manta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Kask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Ref Ekoi, keep an eye out on sports pursuit. They pop up there now and again, p&p direct from the Ekoi website is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does the colour make a helmet look less gammy?

i.e. white over black ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Carnac notus as mentioned above is a very nice helmet. dirt cheap too.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Carnac notus as mentioned above is a very nice helmet. dirt cheap too.

€64 on planetx ireland

£15 on planetx uk

link

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

I got a white lidl helmet a few years ago and, while its fine, I am a big mushroom head in it. I more recently got a Boardman comp helmet (matt black and yellow), not so mushroomy and very comfy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fryup wrote: »
    €64 on planetx ireland

£15 on planetx uk

link

:confused:

They're different companies.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i should say with the price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

com1 wrote: »
    I got a white lidl helmet a few years ago and, while its fine, I am a big mushroom head in it. I more recently got a Boardman comp helmet (matt black and yellow), not so mushroomy and very comfy.

Lidl has bike helmets in today. They look quite good tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    Lidl has bike helmets in today. They look quite good tbh.
    com1 wrote: »

I went in and tried them, Medium didnt fit, could not even force it on my head, Large looked so ridiculous there wasnt a hope of me walking out of the shop with it, pure mushroom effect.

Carnac Notus looks great, how do you measure your head size to order one though?

Also what B&M shop in Dublin would have the best selection for me to try on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you're conscious about your headgear then Lidl is not the answer.

Pay the big bucks for a posh helmet and then at least other cyclists who know their labels will silently approve.

Of course some fit more snugly to the head than others - eg spiuk, and catlike. Abus now are producing nice helmets, as are oakley. -You're talking over 150 quid, but.....

....welcome to cycling. :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you're conscious about your headgear then Lidl is not the answer.

Pay the big bucks for a posh helmet and then at least other cyclists who know their labels will silently approve.

Of course some fit more snugly to the head than others - eg spiuk, and catlike. Abus now are producing nice helmets, as are oakley. -You're talking over 150 quid, but.....

....welcome to cycling. :)
    Dont be so smug and patronizing, if the €10 Lidl helmet had fit properly Id be wearing that now, how does that imply Im worried about labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont be so smug and patronizing, if the €10 Lidl helmet had fit properly Id be wearing that now, how does that imply Im worried about labels?

If that's what you got from my post, then there's more wrong with your head than any helmet will fix. :rolleyes:

fat bloke wrote: »
    If that's what you got from my post, then there's more wrong with your head than any helmet will fix. :rolleyes:
    No nothing wrong with my head, thanks for that, just asking a question about helmet fittings on a cycling forum, sorry if that bothered you but at least you got a chance to show off how clever you are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sometimes being a mod is a little joyless. he was joking; about spending needless money on (should i say it?) very marginal gains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most helmets my head looks like a mushroom, the only two this was not the case was KASK protone (160euro) and a Planet X Pro Road that was the lightest helmet ever (50euro). The KASK is supremely more comfy (although far warmer as well) but not 110euros worth. The Planet X one was lighter and cooler, dare I say it, looked a bit narrower.

I only wear mine racing or on club spins, can't be dealing with helmet hair for the rest of the time I have hair remaining.

Advertisement