Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally unlimited?

• 19-08-2018 2:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see on tv add campaign eir are claiming totally unlimited. Just wondering if this is the case or false advertising like it was recently before this new add campaign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Dcully wrote: »
    I see on tv add campaign eir are claiming totally unlimited. Just wondering if this is the case or false advertising like it was recently before this new add campaign?
    Hi Dcully, 

This is correct, there is an unlimited download allowance on our new plans for new customers. You can view all the packages here

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So only new customers?
    What about customers of over 10 years?
    Can you tell me if i have a download allowance or not please, i want to get 4k netflix but dont want to go over any download cap.
    My contract expires in a couple of weeks and im far from happy with this download limit that was forced upon me despite the product advertised as unlimited.

No update on this yet eir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi Dcully,

If you could PM me with your account details I can see what plan you're currently on and advise you further.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,266 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I signed up last year to "unlimited" fibre bb and phone only to discover that Eir have a fair usage policy which puts a cap on the downloads and uploads. 

Its all in the small print

• Advertisement

I know im in the same boat , thats why im trying to find out whats the score as my contract is up in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,266 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know im in the same boat , thats why im trying to find out whats the score as my contract is up in 2 weeks.
    The cap is currently set at 1000 gb which in fairness is decent enough. May not suit everyone though.

We use Netflix and have a teenage gamer together with a couple of PCs/tablets etc and I think the highest i seen it was about 600 gb approx. You can always check your day to day or accumulated usage here on the My Eir dashboard

I want to get 4k netflix without fear of doing over a silly cap, ive never gone near 1000GB but with 4k streaming its a lot more bandwidth.

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    Hi Dcully,

If you could PM me with your account details I can see what plan you're currently on and advise you further.

Thanks,

Sarah
    I sent you a pm more than 24 hours ago can you respond please.

2 days now, still nothing, quess ill be off to another provider so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

So only new customers?
    What about customers of over 10 years?
    Can you tell me if i have a download allowance or not please, i want to get 4k netflix but dont want to go over any download cap.
    My contract expires in a couple of weeks and im far from happy with this download limit that was forced upon me despite the product advertised as unlimited.
    it seems that signing up to "Absolutely no usage limits" before is not the same as Totally Unlimited Broadband. bandwidth usage allowance changes should be applied to all customers. 

Still nothing from eir despite sending them a pm with my details as requested last friday,,,, seems im definitely moving to another provider after more than 10 years with eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Still nothing from eir despite sending them a pm with my details as requested last friday,,,, seems im definitely moving to another provider after more than 10 years with eir.
    Is this vdsl? Do you know which providers offer totally unlimited with no fair usage policy? I think Vodafone still has 1 TB even for new customers.

BTW Netflix at 4k is a 16,000 kbit download rate so that's 7.2 Gigabytes an hour. Not sure if that info is of any use as I'm sure most people don't track how long they use Netflix for. 

Its eir fibre Tuxy, yes i believe vodafone have similar 1TB FUP.

I would use netlfix maybe 20 hours per month so id be well off the 1TB usage but with 2 teens on their devices along with a second tv with netflix id rather be safe than sorry, this 1Tb cap is just a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

Its eir fibre Tuxy, yes i believe vodafone have similar 1TB FUP.

I would use netlfix maybe 20 hours per month so id be well off the 1TB usage but with 2 teens on their devices along with a second tv with netflix id rather be safe than sorry, this 1Tb cap is just a nuisance.
    So you should be able to move to the new "totally unlimited" service without any FUP when your contract expires in the next week or so? Have you asked eir sales? I am sure they would be delighted to accomodate you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Honest question but how are companies able to advertise something as unlimited, yet have a cap in the fine print?

Hi Dcully, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

Sarah has responded to you PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Hi Dcully, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

Sarah has responded to you PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Is this a State Secret or can Dcully let us all know this big secret?

Sarah replied and just told me what i already know, , "your on the 1TB allowance"  nothing more in her reply.
    Talk about stating the obvious and what i already know.

Sarah i want to know what are eir going to do?
    My contract expires in just over a week, im not sticking around for a 1TB limit, you give new customers totally unlimited yet a customer of more than 10 years gets shafted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Sarah replied and just told me what i already know, , "your on the 1TB allowance"  nothing more in her reply.

My contract expires in just over a week, im not sticking around for a 1TB limit, you give new customers totally unlimited yet a customer of more than 10 years gets shafted?
    Can you  try taking out a new contract for the unlimited usage.

• Advertisement

Emmersonn wrote: »

Can you  try taking out a new contract for the unlimited usage.
    I don't know if that counts as a new customer. We would need an Eir Rep to answer that but who knows what department they would have to send such a complicated question to. 
    I knew someone who was with virgin and would take out a new contract in his wifes name for 12 months then switch over and back every year so they constantly had the discount rate. 

Hi all, 

I understand your frustrations here and I'm sorry it's taking us so long to come back to you all with a response, however, I am still waiting on a clear response on this. 

This is being looked into and as soon as I have the answers, I will come back to you all. 

Apologies for the long delays incurred. 

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey , i await your response eagerly, thanks for that.

Just talking to a relation and a friend in my town today and both are like me out of contract in the next few weeks and we are all at a loss as to why eir treat long time customers this way, apart from being greedy ofcourse, this is a real issue that needs to be addressed at management level.

Hi Tracey , i await your response eagerly, thanks for that.

Just talking to a relation and a friend in my town today and both are like me out of contract in the next few weeks and we are all at a loss as to why eir treat long time customers this way, apart from being greedy ofcourse, this is a real issue that needs to be addressed at management level.
    The sales department will have calculated this and decided that the most money to be gained is from convincing people to move over rather than retaining old customers who tend not to switch anyway. You're the exception since you are looking for better offers. You could try calling sales and see what they will offer you to remain or you could do what they don't expect and change provider. 

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

This is possibly the number one problem with eir customer service. I have heard a lot of sorry (far too many to count), but I have seen no sign of trying improve the service. And I have been in contact with many agents, and it is always the same story.

A follow up such as "We don't have an answer yet, but are still waiting on it" given quickly, rather than let the frustration grow. Until this message, we did not even know that you were waiting for a clear response, rather than just ignoring the people asking. Why wait several days, several complaints?

To be honest, Tracey seems to be the only one making some kind of effort here.

So eir: Tracey confirmed eir gave in at last but now we have to ring to activate totally unlimited.
    People reporting on here that they rang yet customer care didnt know anything about this new development.
    This is exactly what i feared,one needs to be put on medication before facing the most inept customer support ive ever experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

So eir: Tracey confirmed eir gave in at last but now we have to ring to activate totally unlimited.
    People reporting on here that they rang yet customer care didnt know anything about this new development.
    This is exactly what i feared,one needs to be put on medication before facing the most inept customer support ive ever experienced.
    don't for get having listening to that que music same 3 songs over and over for 10 -20 mins and hope once you get through your call is not dropped 

I spent 4 hours last Thursday and 3 last Friday and couldnt even get to talk to anyone, now they telling us we have to ring to get this in motion, absolute joke.

Im simply refusing to ring eir again, if they dont change me to totally unlimited automatically im gone elsewhere.
    My contract is up,ive tried countless times to speak to somebody but enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It's made quite clear to be fair:

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]"Our unlimited broadband really is unlimited. No usage caps and the best speeds available."[/font]

Advertisement