Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Smart TV tomorrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why did the title say Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why did the title say Aldi?

Apologies. Shouldn't have posted while not paying attention as was watching All Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I wouldnt call it a bargain, its probably priced about right. Saying that, there are better value for money tvs out there if you shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

covey09 wrote: »
    That not a 4k tv though

And the Android TV OS on those Sonys is meant to be laggy, WebOS on the LGs is much better by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭PatM65

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I'm in the market for a 43 inch TV. Budget is €500-€600. What would give me the best bang for my buck? Or would I get a lot more for another €100? Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

That not a 4k tv though

HDR > 4K in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

xabi wrote: »
    HDR > 4K in my opinion

Absolutely agree. HDR is a first thing worth upgrading to since 1080p after dozens of gimmick (curved screens, 4K, 3D, featured TV etc.), the marketing was trying to push out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That not a 4k tv though

4k is nonsense. Your eyes don't even see in 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

4k is nonsense. Your eyes don't even see in 4k.

shhhh.... The marketing people at the various TV manufacturers don't want you to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not a bargain, just getting what you pay for really. I'm sure it's a fine TV but the Sony posted above is definitely a much better TV all around. A high quality 1080P is better than a medicore 4K any day of the week.

In fact if you had both TVs side by side playing a high quality file, a lot of people would probably mistakingly think the Sony was the 4K set due to the better overall image quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭vidapura

EGriff wrote: »
    And the Android TV OS on those Sonys is meant to be laggy, WebOS on the LGs is much better by all accounts.

Have to disagree on that one...
    I've an LG 43" 4k HDR smart thing.. a 2017 model... and its interface isn't great.

It has satellite and saorview tuner.. but the EPG is slow as a wet week.
    Big pause between changing channels too, can take seconds..

AND the EPG isn't integrated so you have a lot of button presses to get from RTE to BBC... very clumsy implementation.

Also apps are very thin on the ground. You do get netflix and a version of RTE player, NOW TV, Amazon Prime too..but not a lot else..

Friend of mine has a sony with android and its a dinger.
    Admittedly its a 65" beast so probably has better processing power, but he has all sorts of apps like Kodi running on it...

Its got a nice fluid interface, well thought out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

LG 43" 4k HDR...EPG isn't integrated so you have a lot of button presses to get from RTE to BBC...very clumsy implementation.

According to link below channels can be assigned to numeric keys on the remote and then selected via long press on the assigned key. Short press of keys remains as channel selection of that channel number.

So assign RTE1 to key 1 and BBC1 to key 2 (or to whatever key 1-9).

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/webOS-3-5-quick-access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they never seem to give the model number for these tellys, which i find annoying

(is there a reason for that? or they faulty in some way?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

fryup wrote: »
    they never seem to give the model number for these tellys, which i find annoying

(is there a reason for that? or they faulty in some way?)

Probably because forewarned is forearmed.

In other words, if you know the model number you might look it up online beforehand, and get put off by reviews or opinions given by previous buyers, regardless of whether these assessments are accurate or not.

Lidl obviously wish to keep this nugget of info hidden until you turn up instore on the day and are tempted to just take a chance and buy it without researching.

I’m not saying this means there is anything particularly bad about said telly, I actually have an older LG myself. But I find this kind of tactic used by Lidl (and some other retailers, it’s not unique to Lidl) is off putting in itself. So they’ve actually achieved the direct opposite with me personally by not revealing such info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Tenente

It is a 43UK6740PLC

Any views on same? It says it is 4k HDR Active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Tenente wrote: »
    It is a 43UK6740PLC

Any views on same? It says it is 4k HDR Active.
    I guess you meant 43UK6470PLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you were not wall mounting.....that stand looks terrible.

Apologises, you are of course correct with
    43UK6470PLC.

• Advertisement

just did a search for it on amazon uk...and only one result with no reviews :confused:

the only websites i find with reviews are foreign ones > dutch & german

so maybe it was never meant for the uk & ireland market in the first place?

I doubt it's the 'good' HDR if it has it. To get good HDR prepare to pay a premium.

My searching around the web seem to indicate that it lacks local dimming, so maybe not the best for really dark black, but it has HDR10+.
    So, if I understand correctly, that means it can take advantage of dynamic metadata?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ten Pin wrote: »
    According to link below channels can be assigned to numeric keys on the remote and then selected via long press on the assigned key. Short press of keys remains as channel selection of that channel number.

So assign RTE1 to key 1 and BBC1 to key 2 (or to whatever key 1-9).

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/webOS-3-5-quick-access

Woo!Cool!
    Thanks! Will try that tonight when I get home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Friend has the 55" version and it's a lovely TV, just make sure it's the new stand and not those clothes peg legs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Friend has the 55" version and it's a lovely TV, just make sure it's the new stand and not those clothes peg legs.

Yeah, those legs at either side are a pain if you don’t have a wall mount or a really wide cabinet on which to place the TV. Even a 32” can be fairly awkward with those.

Took another look this morning when picking up the scones. It says that it requires magic remote and separate purchase necessary. So must not be included. I asked about the stand but the assistant didn't know. She said it was on the picture on the box but couldn't be sure. Think I will leave it and pick up a similar telly for a bit more money with the remote included and better warranty/support as I am not very technologically savvy.

Took another look this morning when picking up the scones. It says that it requires magic remote and separate purchase necessary. So must not be included. I asked about the stand but the assistant didn't know. She said it was on the picture on the box but couldn't be sure. Think I will leave it and pick up a similar telly for a bit more money with the remote included and better warranty/support as I am not very technologically savvy.

The magic remote is an additional remote and generally not included with the TV.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

it comes with its own remote and stand surely ?

• Advertisement

The TV would have a “normal” type remote in the box.

Magic remote is a fancier thing with microphone for the voice control and probably something similar to air mouse for control of smart TV features and apps.

As the blurb on the Amazon and other sites selling the various models mention mouse like control and wheel control, I assume the wheel thing is something akin to the touch wheel on the old iPods.

You could probably get by fine without the magic remote if you aren’t big into the WebOS smart TV apps, and have something like an Xbox, PS, Apple or Android TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Specs here

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UK6470PLC

I posted this somewhere else a while back,here is the breakdown for the LG TV models

http://en.tab-tv.com/?page_id=7111

comes with a sat tuner built in? if i was on the look out for a telly i'd buy it...definitely a bargain at €400 esp as its a well known make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They don't require the 'magic remote'. the standard remote works fine, and they have a smartphone remote app that does exactly the same stuff the 'magic remote' does

I think this is a great bargain if you're looking for a 43 inch smart tv.
    LG make excellent screens and the sound is surprisingly good straight out of the box.

The webos interface is simple to use and much easier to navigate compared with the sony one imo, but there will always be some lag on a smart tv

Akrasia wrote: »
    They don't require the 'magic remote'. the standard remote works fine, and they have a smartphone remote app that does exactly the same stuff the 'magic remote' does

I think this is a great bargain if you're looking for a 43 inch smart tv.
    LG make excellent screens and the sound is surprisingly good straight out of the box.

The webos interface is simple to use and much easier to navigate compared with the sony one imo, but there will always be some lag on a smart tv
    Still, one should avoid general statements. Always look for reviews of the exact model you are considering buying, ideally down to the screen size, because the picture quality of each can vary. If I'm not mistaken I recently read a somewhat detailed a review of this particular model, which slammed it for very poor blacks (apparently they were grey at best) and the reviewer wasn't able to discern HDR from SDR on it. There were some positives as well, so it may still be okay for some, but do your homework first.

EDIT: Here is that review Doesn't mention what screen size they tested, but based on the photos I reckon it's the 43" one.

Still, one should avoid general statements. Always look for reviews of the exact model you are considering buying, ideally down to the screen size, because the picture quality of each can vary. If I'm not mistaken I recently read a somewhat detailed a review of this particular model, which slammed it for very poor blacks (apparently they were grey at best) and the reviewer wasn't able to discern HDR from SDR on it. There were some positives as well, so it may still be okay for some, but do your homework first.

EDIT: Here is that review Doesn't mention what screen size they tested, but based on the photos I reckon it's the 43" one.

All led tvs suffer on blacks, only solution would be oled.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    All led tvs suffer on blacks, only solution would be oled.
    To a VERY different extent. Some are damn close to OLED, some are unwatchable in dark rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I got a Magic Remote with my OLED, it's got dedicated buttons for Netflix and Amazon Prime Vid, and you can use it like a wiimote, but otherwise it's not really much different to a regular remote. I assumed it was packaged with all LG TVs, not sure I'd be forking out extra for it.

FWIW I think LG TV webOS is the best of the bunch, but your mileage may vary on cheaper sets.

well..did anyone buy one? must be sold out by now

Don't buy one (yet anyhow). There was 4 in local store this morning.

I gauged it the way I do all the Lidl or Aldi bargains. Go in on a Sunday morning and if there wasn't an eastern european trying to by all of something then it wasn't a real bargain, and these TV's weren't shifting like that. They do this so much better than we do.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

don't quiet get ya? they know something that we don't?

They're just better at being thorough and making/saving money than we are. If there's a good bargain to be had in my local Lidl I can guarantee you there will be at least 20 outside it half an hour before opening on a Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Trombones

Patww79 wrote: »
    I gauged it the way I do all the Lidl or Aldi bargains. Go in on a Sunday morning and if there wasn't an eastern european trying to by all of something then it wasn't a real bargain, and these TV's weren't shifting like that. They do this so much better than we do.

I do the same with the food

I keep an eye out for the Asian restaurateurs filling their trolley with the same item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

PatM65 wrote: »
    Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I'm in the market for a 43 inch TV. Budget is €500-€600. What would give me the best bang for my buck? Or would I get a lot more for another €100? Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

I had to go looking for your post when the link below reminded me of your post.

Use parcel motel.

I've a hisense and couldnt fault it.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/hise-h50a6200uk.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

My father got one Monday morning, he was in a queue of around 10 before the store opened. There was no ticket system like I've heard of before.
    Anyway they went to the till straight away and asked the cashier how many tvs came in and were told four so in a very civilized manner the first four which included my father got the tv and the others left.

I set it up for him that evening and it's absolutely spectacular, he has sky Q which doesn't have any uhd content that I could find so I went onto the YouTube app and played the first uhd nature clip and there was 5 of us gathered around the tv with jaws on the floor, what's more is the sound quality is immense, I've owned a few tvs in my time from JVC to Philips to Panasonic and currently a Samsung and this blows them all out of the water.

I set up his smartiptv channels and we watched the whole Liverpool Crystal palace game in HD without a stutter.

The normal remote comes with it which is all you need really unless you want to control every device in the room with the one remote then you can buy the magic one.

People can compare all they want to €2500 oled but you're not comparing apples with apples this was a €400 uhd smart TV by a reputable company not one of these Chinese brands who have the specs on paper but never live up to the billing and who's app stores and OS are like a combination of WAP and Teletext.

My advice if you're in the market for a 43 inch uhd smart TV and there's one left in your local lidl get straight into your car and snap it straight up you won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

My father got one Monday morning, he was in a queue of around 10 before the store opened. There was no ticket system like I've heard of before.
    Anyway they went to the till straight away and asked the cashier how many tvs came in and were told four so in a very civilized manner the first four which included my father got the tv and the others left.

I set it up for him that evening and it's absolutely spectacular, he has sky Q which doesn't have any uhd content that I could find so I went onto the YouTube app and played the first uhd nature clip and there was 5 of us gathered around the tv with jaws on the floor, what's more is the sound quality is immense, I've owned a few tvs in my time from JVC to Philips to Panasonic and currently a Samsung and this blows them all out of the water.

I set up his smartiptv channels and we watched the whole Liverpool Crystal palace game in HD without a stutter.

The normal remote comes with it which is all you need really unless you want to control every device in the room with the one remote then you can buy the magic one.

People can compare all they want to €2500 oled but you're not comparing apples with apples this was a €400 uhd smart TV by a reputable company not one of these Chinese brands who have the specs on paper but never live up to the billing and who's app stores and OS are like a combination of WAP and Teletext.

My advice if you're in the market for a 43 inch uhd smart TV and there's one left in your local lidl get straight into your car and snap it straight up you won't be disappointed.

400 in lidl 500 in harvey norman same tv

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Thanks for the link - all my content is max 1080p, Saorview, FreeSat and Youtube/online, and given the distance from couch to TV, I can't see the reason for bothering with 4K. But still, might be it be better to future proof and go 4K, or is the Bravia at 1080p going to provide a better overall quality picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thanks for the link - all my content is max 1080p, Saorview, FreeSat and Youtube/online, and given the distance from couch to TV, I can't see the reason for bothering with 4K. But still, might be it be better to future proof and go 4K, or is the Bravia at 1080p going to provide a better overall quality picture?

The Bravia would likely have a much better overall picture, I don't think 'future proofing' really comes into it as unless you were sitting a foot away from the TV you would not see any difference between the two TV's in term of resolution on a TV that size.

I would try and find some reviews of the Sony, but if it's a good screen and has HDR10, it should be the better option even at 1080.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I doubt it's the 'good' HDR if it has it. To get good HDR prepare to pay a premium.

Such as ? In a 40 or 43 inch

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I would try and find some reviews of the Sony, but if it's a good screen and has HDR10, it should be the better option even at 1080.

Reviews are hard to come by for the Bravia, but the one I found was largely positive. Interestingly, this particular bravia does not use Android TV for its smart tv function, not that that bothers me as I'll be connecting it to a media PC anyways. Also don't need any Freesat/saorview tuner, just a decent panel around 40-50" size, with a HDMI connection. The price is right so think I'll take a punt on the KDL43WF663.

• Advertisement
Advertisement