Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hangover cures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

A game of golf first thing the next morning is a great hangover cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

A morning after ride if your lucky enough to click does no harm either. Must be something to do with the discharge of protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If I drink Thursday, Friday and Saturday then.
    The worst part of a hangover for me is not sleeping Sunday night. I just toss and turn all night the I'm tired in work on Monday.

I find valerian root extract is pretty good before bed. I would love if kava kava was safe/legal in Ireland I'd say it's the ultimate hangover cure.

Over easy eggs, lots of water, a suggary drink.
    A short walk early in the day ( if you can)
    No caffeine. A movie/tv. Takeaway is nice but the calories are bad if you drink often.

Finally: a belief that you are going to be ok. All is not lost, yes you probably did make a complete tit or yourself but Jesus still loves you and so will dogs :)
    Not sleeping is a symptom of alcohol withdrawl which is dangerous terrotory. Your body is fighting you're brain all weekend when the booze wears off Sunday night your brain is still fired up which is why you can't sleep. It's not a good sign bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cattleman101

A bit of work!! Wouldn’t be long forgetting about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Not sleeping is a symptom of alcohol withdrawl which is dangerous terrotory. Your body is fighting you're brain all weekend when the booze wears off Sunday night your brain is still fired up which is why you can't sleep. It's not a good sign bud.

Also, the over-easy part of the egg process was worrying.

Id say you are some craic for a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I am actually but when you get into withdrawl territory it's time to re evaluate things.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bottle of cold 7up... use half with sth fizzygood and drink the rest.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fizzygood&amp=true

Sip miwadi or lucozade sport.

Then cheese on toast or salted crackers when you think you can eat something.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The stopwatch and notebook would be out timing your intake in preparation for a hearty lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

2 dissolving solpadeines and berocca boost in a glass of water. Combined with a big greasy fry and I guarantee you will feel great

oceanman wrote: »
    lol:D

Yep 3 pints for the lads and a ballygowan for the dry bollix in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Cheers for the concern but your being a tad dramatic.I don't drink nearly enough for withdrawal. Alcohol disrupts REM sleep which catches up with you hence feeling tired.
    I also sleep in on Sunday which doesn't help.
    I'm not 21 anymore.

1) Pint of milk before you start drinking in the first place if your intention is drinking to excess.

2) No Kebab/KFC/Chipper takeaways. Drink gives you a "false hunger". If you fancy a bite then go home and have a brown bread sandwich with cheese and lettuce. By the time you get home your appetite will have worn off anyway.

3) At least one pint, maybe two of water just before bed.

4) The most underrated and underreported... when all else fails stay in bed until noon. Maybe even 2.30 on a Sunday. Nothing beats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

1) Pint of milk before you start drinking in the first place if your intention is drinking to excess.

Does that really work? Few of the lads in college used be firm believers, can't say I've ever tried.

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Does that really work? Few of the lads in college used be firm believers, can't say I've ever tried.

Well, let's just say I'd swear by it (plus the water and food bit) when I was "college age". Obviously personal tolerance levels have to come into it at some point, but I did this regularly and was rarely bothered by hangovers. *

*Caveat (of course, if that bit doesn't work for you, you can always try the staying in bed until noon part!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I remember has a disolveable multi vitamin before I started drinking the other night and it actually ended up making me more drunk later on

I'm guessing Multi Vitamins and drink don't gel well together ?

2) No Kebab/KFC/Chipper takeaways. Drink gives you a "false hunger". If you fancy a bite then go home and have a brown bread sandwich with cheese and lettuce. By the time you get home your appetite will have worn off anyway.

3) At least one pint, maybe two of water just before bed.

4) The most underrated and underreported... when all else fails stay in bed until noon. Maybe even 2.30 on a Sunday. Nothing beats that.

No ham on the sambo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Painkillers and water as soon as you wake up then the most important part is to make yourself go back to sleep for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yep 3 pints for the lads and a ballygowan for the dry bollix in the corner.
    He only drinks the still stuff. Sparkling gets him excited and you cant be having that. He'd end up roaring at the barman to turn up Nationwide because the Tidy Town results are on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Sex, xanax and a cold breakfast beer. In that order

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Youth...

If you can keep anything down.. ibuprofen. Take that with a pint of water and go back to bed. Repeat every 4 hours until you are not dying. Order food that night when you are just about able to manage solids. Back to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Get in as much water as you can stomach at the end of the night as possible. I try and get to the state where a little push might make me spill water out of my mouth I'm so full up with it. Another pint of water when you wake up with some paracetamol and a Berocca. After that some soup and rolls (oxtail works best for me but tough to stomach some days) and chewing gum to get the stomach churning and to get rid of the taste of death in your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Water & Time I find are the only cures for me

Add in some sleep and they would be my 3 cures. I'm mid 30s now, so not exactly old, but nothing else works. When I was younger, food used to work but these days it just makes me feel worse!

No ham on the sambo?

Absolutely not. You want to keep your salt intake to a minimum, and there's already enough of that in the bread and cheese. If you need an extra ingredient then try something with a high water content such as cucumber, a little onion, or maybe some chopped radish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dioralyte before you start drinking + a couple of Starflower Oil (Borage) capsules also.

Dioralyte & water before bed.

Fry up and a vat of orange juice the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Spicy Mexican eggs seem to work for me if it's only a mild hangover these days. Finding someone to make them not so easy.
    If it's a bad one it really is just time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Alka seltzer, eggs and bread with plenty of butter, cup of tea, pint of water, back to bed.

A massive fry washed down with Orchard thieves....or just orchard thieves. It’s has everything you need all in one, sugar, alcohol, flavor and kills the thirst.

At the end of the day the only cure that actually works is drinking again the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Czech style Garlic Soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Going for a swim makes me feel great. Having to haul yourself to the pool is the hard part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

An extraordinary number of Limerick people reading this thread this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Depends on the scale of it. I've had ones where I'll gawk eight times and can't even keep down a glass of water, you've pretty much poisoned yourself at that stage and there's nothing to do but wait it out and hope the puking stops by dinner time. Dark days indeed, the ones where you're lying in bed afraid to open your eyes cos you'll gawk again and all that's there is bile.

People saying don't eat before bed or eat a sandwich etc are codding themselves, you need a big carby feed before the session and one after, falling asleep on an empty stomach with no soakage is always guaranteed hassle the next day. I find whiskey or wine also gives me a splitting headache the next day.

For more moderate hangovers I'll usually hold off eating til around one and then have something hot like a Thai green curry or some sort of spice washed down with Coke followed by a nap. It's hard going like.

The whole drinking the next day is a bad plan cos you're left feeling like a depressed bloated manitee by the end of it.

Some tips here on how to avoid what legendary author and boozer Kingsley Amis describes as "the existential hangover":
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10426077/The-worlds-worst-hangovers-and-how-to-avoid-them.html

"Start telling yourself that what you have is a hangover. You are not sickening for anything, you have not suffered a minor brain lesion, you are not all that bad at your job, your family and friends are not leagued in a conspiracy of barely maintained silence about what a s**t you are, you have not come to see life as it really is, and there is no use crying over spilt milk."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

FTA69 wrote: »
    Depends on the scale of it. I've had ones where I'll gawk eight times and can't even keep down a glass of water, you've pretty much poisoned yourself at that stage and there's nothing to do but wait it out and hope the puking stops by dinner time. Dark days indeed, the ones where you're lying in bed afraid to open your eyes cos you'll gawk again and all that's there is bile.

People saying don't eat before bed or eat a sandwich etc are codding themselves, you need a big carby feed before the session and one after, falling asleep on an empty stomach with no soakage is always guaranteed hassle the next day. I find whiskey or wine also gives me a splitting headache the next day.

For more moderate hangovers I'll usually hold off eating til around one and then have something hot like a Thai green curry or some sort of spice washed down with Coke followed by a nap. It's hard going like.

The whole drinking the next day is a bad plan cos you're left feeling like a depressed bloated manitee by the end of it.

Let’s face it, the “cure” is just an excuse to horse into the drink again the next day. It sets off dependency alarm bells for me. It’s also just delaying the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Let’s face it, the “cure” is just an excuse to horse into the drink again the next day. It sets of dependency alarm bells for me. It’s also just delaying the inevitable.

If you're on holiday or some other thing and do it very occasionally then it's not time the end of the world but of every Sunday is "cure day" then you're engaging in some fiercely unhealthy drinking patterns and it'll catch up with you definitely, p*ssing two days on the bounce every weekend is just plain bad and courts a habit.

I'd sooner the puking and dying after one good session rather than the days of bloat, depression and sweating you get after prolonged binges.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I recommend squirrel en-croute, fox paw in aspic and Salt & Vinegar Taytos followed by a cold bottle of Lucozade. Then, sit in an office chair for a good spin around before tickling the back of your throat with a feather. You'll feel amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Let’s face it, the “cure” is just an excuse to horse into the drink again the next day. It sets of dependency alarm bells for me. It’s also just delaying the inevitable.

Ethanol therapy is a thing though - if someone drinks antifreeze ( glycol ) or methanol it will do them serious harm .

….... so you dose them up with ethanol - it really is a cure

( sometimes)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cocaine.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

gctest50 wrote: »
    Ethanol therapy is a thing though - if someone drinks antifreeze ( glycol ) or methanol it will do them serious harm .

….... so you dose them up with ethanol - it really is a cure

( sometimes)

Presumably that’s to, you know, avoid death rather than relieve hangover symptoms. Hangover symptoms are probably a side effect of the therapy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Glass of water or milk before bed, taco chips optinonal. Get up, when you wake up. Plenty of air, bacon sandwiches, a berroca, and a walk. Distractions are a good thing, staying in bed, or sofa for the day just makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Go at it agin.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

People who say things like "a package of hula hoops and lucozade and you're grand", I mean you really mustn't be hungover in the first place.
    I'm not proud of my seasoned heavy drinker status, but the only thing you can do the next day is try and eat or drink whatever because it temporarily distracts you from the unpleasantness.
    There is no cure. For me all I can do is ride it out. I drank on Saturday night, maybe 6 pints and a few cans after, and I'm still pretty wrecked today. It takes a few days for my sleep to get back to normal after a binge too.
    I'm nearing 40 but it was always like this, since my early 20s!
    Currently trying to knock booze on the head but still having slip ups.

Oh and shout out to whoever mentioned Xanax earlier. Benzos do offer relief and do allow you to sleep the following night no matter how effed up you were the night before. But that's a slippery slope and before you know it you're Las Vegas Elvis on uppers and downers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sardine wrote: »
    But that's a slippery slope and before you know it you're Las Vegas Elvis on uppers and downers.

father-ted-s1_625x352.jpg

• Advertisement

Sardine wrote: »
    People who say things like "a package of hula hoops and lucozade and you're grand", I mean you really mustn't be hungover in the first place.

We should probably distinguish between levels of hangovers:
    * Level one you made it out of bed and into work but you are hanging and think 5 o'clock will never come. That's hulahoops and lucozade territory.
    * Level two is you are in bed and the room is spinning but you don't need to go anywhere so just cling on
    * Level three is where you are in bed and in bits

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We should probably distinguish between levels of hangovers:
    * Level one you made it out of bed and into work but you are hanging and think 5 o'clock will never come. That's hulahoops and lucozade territory.
    * Level two is you are in bed and the room is spinning but you don't need to go anywhere so just cling on
    * Level three is where you are in bed and in bits

Right but are people saying they make it to work in bits, then eat hula hoops and drink lucozade and they're fine? Like it's a proper cure?
    There's not really anything I can do when at work hungover, I may eat something less healthy than I usually would for lunch but it usually just makes me feel worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

That's what confuses me, when I get a really awful hangover I can't get up or move much or do anything. Advice about "going for a brisk walk or a swim" is just completely impractical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭sporina

the worst part of a hangover for me is the guilt - usually for again not realising how drink affects me - i think i'm fine on pint 3/4 next thing boom I am drunk - i keep getting the feeling the next morn of "will i ever learn?"

the next bit of guilt stems from what ever I have gorged on after the booze - booze gives me an unreal appetite.. I eat stuff that I would never eat in sobriety - like chips etc

So overall - guilt- crippling..

other than that just tiredness and and general feeling of being out of kilter..

I don't drink to the point of throwing up etc so thats not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Let’s face it, the “cure” is just an excuse to horse into the drink again the next day. It sets off dependency alarm bells for me. It’s also just delaying the inevitable.

Another craic merchant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement