Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hangover cures

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

I’m on level 3/ possibly 4 :)

Eg I went out Friday .

Drank wayyy too much and couldn’t remember how I got home, or
    being kicked out of the pub for being too drunk and
    not knowing where I was and
    didn’t even remember my GF picking me up from town and me sleeping in the car

Next day ! BANG woke up with a massive headache

Feeing so anxious and guilty in my mind making me paranoid (even tho I did nothing bad / verified by my friend)

Physically could not eat food because my stomach was so upset

Laid on the couch for the Whole day in bits

Had the absolute fear (as it’s known) and couldn’t sleep saturday night

Night sweats and tossing and turning all night
    In and out of so called sleep

Long story short - it wasn’t worth it

No amount of water and greasy food was helping me in that state

I’m Considering giving up the alcohol or moving to non alcoholic beers because I can’t control my drinking ( I dunno when to stop) and it wasted my entire weekend

So any hangover cures for that state are more than welcome !! Hullahopps ain’t gonna do anything :)

Anyone who says they don’t get hangovers don’t drink enough IMO to get the full effects

Aged 28 for those wondering how it hits me so bad (which is young) so I can’t imagine hangovers after 35/40 :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭sporina

wally1990 wrote: »
    I’m on level 3/ possibly 4 :)

Eg I went out Friday .

Drank wayyy too much and couldn’t remember how I got home, or
    being kicked out of the pub for being too drunk and
    not knowing where I was and
    didn’t even remember my GF picking me up from town and me sleeping in the car

Next day ! BANG woke up with a massive headache

Feeing so anxious and guilty in my mind making me paranoid (even tho I did nothing bad / verified by my friend)

Physically could not eat food because my stomach was so upset

Laid on the couch for the Whole day in bits

Had the absolute fear (as it’s known) and couldn’t sleep saturday night

Night sweats and tossing and turning all night
    In and out of so called sleep

Long story short - it wasn’t worth it

No amount of water and greasy food was helping me in that state

I’m Considering giving up the alcohol or moving to non alcoholic beers because I can’t control my drinking ( I dunno when to stop) and it wasted my entire weekend

So any hangover cures for that state are more than welcome !! Hullahopps ain’t gonna do anything :)

Anyone who says they don’t get hangovers don’t drink enough IMO to get the full effects

Aged 28 for those wondering how it hits me so bad (which is young) so I can’t imagine hangovers after 35/40 :O

gee - I never had a hangover till my early 30's - and I have been drinking less as time goes on... takes a lot less.. to think that when i was in college a bottle of wine before going out was the norm and then a scatter of pints.. hula hoops and ribena would get me to college the next morn,,, not now..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I did this at the weekend...woke up dying on Sunday after a few too many..made coffee and said fook it ..a generous splash of whiskey into it..by the time it was gone felt great again...into the runners and out for a run and sweated the piss outta myself..home shower and was 100% for the rest of the day....alright for someone with no car...but 100% effective...amen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's the story with Hula Hoops as a hangover cure?

Are ye all vertically challenged or what?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

the trick is to sort the hangover out before you sleep.

1. Water in between drinks.
    2. A bottle of lucozade sport before sleep.
    3. Sober up as much as possible before sleep. You dont get "real" sleep when locked.
    4. Another bottle of Lucozade the next morning, follied by more sleep. Even a half hour power nap the next day can help loads.
    5. The chipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Yeah that’s it... its like you’re hanging over me and there is no cure

daduntsh.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Abstinence.

I know... hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Patww79 wrote: »
    Another craic merchant.

Another who mistakenly thinks that craic (whatever that is) and alcohol are inextricably linked. If you’re boring without alcohol, dial it up to 11 with booze on board.

Oh and it is delaying the inevitable re: the hangover. You’re just kicking the can down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Another who mistakenly thinks that craic (whatever that is) and alcohol are inextricably linked. If you’re boring without alcohol, dial it up to 11 with booze on board.

Oh and it is delaying the inevitable re: the hangover. You’re just kicking the can down the road.

No, I think anyone can have a drink and have a hangover, and even get a few with a hangover without it automatically being DRINK PROBLEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Patww79 wrote: »
    No, I think anyone can have a drink and have a hangover, and even get a few with a hangover without it automatically being DRINK PROBLEM.

Luckily I never automatically. ;) It’s simply an indicator. Why so defensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Luckily I never automatically. ;) It’s simply an indicator. Why so defensive?

Because you lot are trying to destroy things for everyone else.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

the trick is to sort the hangover out before you sleep.

1. Water in between drinks.
    2. A bottle of lucozade sport before sleep.
    3. Sober up as much as possible before sleep. You dont get "real" sleep when locked.
    4. Another bottle of Lucozade the next morning, follied by more sleep. Even a half hour power nap the next day can help loads.
    5. The chipper.

Generally if you're sound enough of mind to start sorting out lucozade and sobering up before bed and whatnot you're not drunk enough for the hangover to be that bad anyway.
    It's when you wake up in your clothes and can't remember getting home. That's when there's basically no cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sardine wrote: »
    Generally if you're sound enough of mind to start sorting out lucozade and sobering up before bed and whatnot you're not drunk enough for the hangover to be that bad anyway.
    It's when you wake up in your clothes and can't remember getting home. That's when there's basically no cure.

The lucozade sport might help reduce it from a moderate to minor hangover though, to the extent that you might be able to get out bed early the next day and be semi-functional in work. Or it might prevent a minor hangover.

For the severe hangover you are talking about, the next morning at least is a right off and you might need some strong remedies to get out of bed at all!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Some mega hangovers after flying in for the footy.

Next morning ?

Chocolate Bar
    Beef Monster Munch
    Pint
    Kip on plane

Job done.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Some mega hangovers after flying in for the footy.

Next morning ?

Chocolate Bar
    Beef Monster Munch
    Pint
    Kip on plane

Job done.

Are you really saying you could down a bottle of whiskey or have 10 pints after the football, then do the above, and you'll feel totally fine?
    Seriously? I'm sick for like 2 days after a bender, or more even. I am only today feeling somewhat normal after Saturday.

Are you really saying you could down a bottle of whiskey or have 10 pints after the football, then do the above, and you'll feel totally fine?
    Seriously? I'm sick for like 2 days after a bender, or more even. I am only today feeling somewhat normal after Saturday.

God no! I can't touch spirits - it's just the usual 10-11 pints on a match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

For me it's more about habit. I get into the habit of doing something when drunk, I do it on auto-pilot.

A bit of prep work can go a long way too. Before the last stag I was on, I got a couple of bottles of Lucozade sport and left them by the bedside. I actually drank them when I got home after being out all day. Absolutely no headache or nausea the next day :cool: The only thing that remained was that unique kind of hangover tiredness, which can only be sorted by a good night's sleep.

For me one of the worst stages of a hangover is during the afternoon or early evening when you're up and your body is in awake mode so you cant sleep even though you need to. You just have to busy yourself for a few hours and then wait til that night to sleep again.

Nowadays my other trick is just steering clear of spirits altogether. I just stay on beer to minimize the level of alcohol I can actually take in. The sickness, tiredness and anxiety are WAY worse when stuff like whiskey is involved. Learned that the hard way.

Just make sure it's Lucozade SPORT (or Powerade or an own brand Isotonic sports drinks) ye drink before bedtime and not Lucozade ENERGY. Easy mistake to make :(

What's the story with Hula Hoops as a hangover cure?

Red Hula Hoops for me, the ready salted so no strong cheese & onion \ salt & vinegar flavours ... when you're craving a bag of crisps after you get in the door. Or next day when you can't face real food.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just make sure it's Lucozade SPORT (or Powerade or an own brand Isotonic sports drinks) ye drink before bedtime and not Lucozade ENERGY. Easy mistake to make :(

Oh God the combo of locked and yet full of energy at 2am!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭sporina

Red Hula Hoops for me, the ready salted so no strong cheese & onion \ salt & vinegar flavours ... when you're craving a bag of crisps after you get in the door. Or next day when you can't face real food.

yep - its the salt that sorts ya out - and the carb for energy

and would never eat them normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I can't get my head around anyone's hangover choice of food is a packet of Hula Hoops.

I mustn't be drinking enough I suppose, the last time I had a hangover was about two weeks ago and I basically ate whatever was in the fridge that I could fit in the air fryer and then went out for a chicken curry about two hours later.

If someone handed me a bag of Hula Hoops and said that'll have to do ya I think I'd either lose the will to live or the will to see them live.

Now don't get me wrong there have been times when I've eaten them and thought they were lovely but a packet of Hula Hoops wouldn't keep a mouse going, they're shagging tiny.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I can't get my head around anyone's hangover choice of food is a packet of Hula Hoops.
    I mustn't be drinking enough I suppose, the last time I had a hangover was about two weeks ago and I basically ate whatever was in the fridge that I could fit in the air fryer and then went out for a chicken curry about two hours later.

That doesn't sound like a hangover to me!
    I've had some hangovers where the smell of your kitchen exploits wafting up the stairs would have been torture.

You are in blissful ignorance of the horrors some of us on this thread have faced :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

there is no cure

there is no cure

The username says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Milkshakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

That doesn't sound like a hangover to me!
    I've had some hangovers where the smell of your kitchen exploits wafting up the stairs would have been torture.

You are in blissful ignorance of the horrors some of us on this thread have faced :)

I don't think he knows what at the Rats are either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

Peatys wrote: »
    I don't think he knows what at the Rats are either

yeah the rats are the worst....only ever had them once, frightened the life out of me.:eek:

- A decent meal before leaving the house.
    - Plenty of water and a small bit of salt over the few hours beforehand to prehydrate.
    - Pace yourself with the pints.
    - Another pint or two of water while youre out - you'll find you actually crave the water when you drink it.
    - If you live close enough to where you're drinking and it's safe enough, walk home to sober up a bit before sleeping therby forcing yourself to form memories of the night, in case your brain wants to black out and forget everything the next day, like it might if you just bundle into a taxi and into bed.
    - Drink some more water and take a pint of water to your bedside and eat something small like some cream crackers to increase your blood sugar a bit without putting too heavy a load on your body which will already be dealing with the booze.
    - Try to lie in as long as possible the next morning, even though your sleep quality will be poor and you'll probably wake up at like 9 o'clock, feeling like crap because you were out drinking - maybe use the toilet, down the pint of water, fill another one up and take it back to bed.
    - When you do get up, hopefully at 12 or later, have a warm shower to treat yourself, ended with a cold one to break you out of your state of inertia.
    - Have a huge mug of tea with sugar and ideally some salty food replenish some of the salt you've pi'ssed away the night before, maybe a sausage sandwich which would be gold standard hangover breakfast as far as I am concerned.
    - Accept that your mind will not be sharp for the next 2 days and you'll feel anxious - it's normal, especially as you get older.
    - Plenty of tea over the course of the day, maybe a can of club orange or something sugary (avoid unsatisfying sugar-reduced bulls'hit drinks).
    - Get a takeaway at 8 or 9 (save it until then so you have something to look forward to) but avoid a big pizza in particular because that will leave you in a hangover of sorts in and of itself. Something like a curry chip and a quarter pounder maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

The below normally does the trick for me if and when I do have a hangover (vary rare these days as drinking is a young mans game... not able for it anymore):

- Couple pints of water when I wake up, then back to bed (headache tablet optional)
    - No breakfast, head straight to the shops for a chicken fillet roll, hunky dorys salt and vinegar/buffalo and a mars bar (duo). Its a chore but it has to be done (or sweet talk someone into going for you).
    - Back to bed for more sleep.
    - Dominos delivery of Meateor Pizza, chicken wings (franks hot sauce variety), can of coke, some more water
    - Zantac or galviscon to combat the heartburn from eating all the crap above
    - Back to bed
    - Wake up the next morning feeling like an absolute pig, vowing never to drink that much again

• Advertisement
Advertisement