Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card incompatible

Options
  • 19-08-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, I have bought a new graphics card today, NVIDEA GForce GTX 1060 3gb GDDR5 to replace my GeForce GT 545 but I got BIOS beeps after I installed it.

After looking for help I learned that the issue is my IPISB-CH2 motherboard won't get a new BIOS to flash any more. Mine is HP version 7 BIOS level but I need version 8 and that won't be provided any more by HP.

Someone said that the NVIDIA GTX 660Ti would be the higherst I can get for that motherboard. Would anyone know a different way to get the new video adapter running by getting a BIOS flash elsewhere ? HP would not tell me as they woudl not support any BIOS flash from any other source and they would not have one for my motherboard.

Alternatively, does anyone know if gettig a NVIDIA GTX 660Ti would make a noticeable difference to the GeForce GT 545 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You possible come across list of supported components for your MoBo

PassMark might give you idea of compare of you mentioned GPU's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

[/URL]

Are you sure that list is correct?
    It says the motherboard supports 1070,1080,1080ti but not 1050,1060 or any card from the 9 series.
    The board does not have uefi bios so will no work with any card that requires it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

PassMark might give you idea of compare of you mentioned GPU's

Thanks a lot, that is really helpful. So looks like the 660 is worth it. Should not be too expensive on ebay either.

Interesting what tuxy pointed out, it says the motherboard supports 1070,1080,1080ti but not 1050,1060. Pity I don't have those cards around for testing and they are too expensive for just a try.

Maybe they are all compatible. I think the MoBo is not too bad. With that PCI Express x16 slot it should really support it. I think the bottleneck is the BIOS that HP won't provide.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure that list is correct?
    It says the motherboard supports 1070,1080,1080ti but not 1050,1060 or any card from the 9 series.
    The board does not have uefi bios so will no work with any card that requires it.
    From what i can read it is for IPISB-CH2

Link provided "As is" and please pay attention to...
    "Note: please treat this list as a guide; while we strive to maintain accuracy for all our components we cannot guarantee that our data is 100% accurate."
    ...its highlighted in amber.

I am not claiming to be the one maintaining this list, only pointing direction

OP,
    What is PSU on your PC? Be aware that GeForce GTX 660 Ti is more(twice) power hungry than GeForce GT 545 and require separate power link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You would get a decent performance bump by adding a 660ti to your machine - comparison here:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GT-545-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti/112vs88

As the last person said, though, make sure that your power supply is capable of running the 660ti.

• Advertisement

From what i can read it is for IPISB-CH2

Link provided "As is" and please pay attention to...
    ...its highlighted in amber.

I am not claiming to be the one maintaining this list, only pointing direction
    I think the list is "technically" correct, the MoBo has a PCI Express x16 slot so the author would assume it can handle the cards. Likelyhood is that the MoBo can handle the newest cards but the issue will be the BIOS version, with a new BIOS version it would work but HP never made one.

OP,
    What is PSU on your PC? Be aware that GeForce GTX 660 Ti is more(twice) power hungry than GeForce GT 545 and require separate power link.
    The PSU has 460W so should be fine. It has a direct connector that fits into the NVIDEA GForce GTX 1060 3gb GDDR5. The new card came with an adapter and I don't even need the adapter as I had the direct connector. The fans on the new card run fine as well and I have a screen, I just don't get past the BIOS screen.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You would get a decent performance bump by adding a 660ti to your machine - comparison here:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GT-545-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti/112vs88

As the last person said, though, make sure that your power supply is capable of running the 660ti.
    Thanks, yes, that looks impressive so I might do that. Aternatively I could look for another MoBo. If I buy the 660Ti now I pay around EUR 100 plus I loose the EUR 240 I already paid for the GTX 1060. If I get a different MoBo I can actually use the new card that I now have already and it should not be much more expensive than EUR 100 either.

Does anyone know a decent MoBo with which I can keep the rest of my hardware without having to replace everything ? The harddrives should work with any MoBo. As per dxdiag I have a i7-2600 CPU @3.4 Hz and I have 16gb RAM (PC3 10600U 1333 Mhz) so I just need a decent MoBo where that works. Obviously it should have a BIOS that supports the GTX 1060 GPU as well.

For GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W)5 - 450W
    You on the edge just for GPU and this will/might cause issues.

Use

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Where did you get the GPU? If you got it less than 2 weeks ago from an online store you can get a full refund once you pack it up exactly like it came.

You can use your current parts in any lga 1155 motherboard, assuming HP use a standard ATX power supply and case.
    Search for them on Amazon and Ebay. Just make sure the board has uefi bios.

For GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    You on the edge just for GPU and this will/might cause issues.

Use

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Thanks for the interesting link, never thought the PSU might be an issue.

If I calculate, it should be (just) fine,somehow the power consumption for the 1060 is less then for the 660 GPU ?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Where did you get the GPU? If you got it less than 2 weeks ago from an online store you can get a full refund once you pack it up exactly like it came.

You can use your current parts in any lga 1155 motherboard, assuming HP use a standard ATX power supply and case.
    Search for them on Amazon and Ebay. Just make sure the board has uefi bios.

OK, I'll make a decision on the MoBo soon then, I did not know I can return items even if they are 100% functional and are exactly as described, my own fault that I did not check for compatibility but with the PCI Express x16 slot I simply assumed it would not be an issue.

I think if I find a MoBo where everything else fits then I just get a new MoBo.

Thanks a lot everyone, you have been very helpful :)

Haithabu wrote: »

If I calculate, it should be (just) fine,somehow the power consumption for the 1060 is less then for the 660 GPU ?

Yes each new generation of Nvidia cards have been making big progress in power efficiently.

Haithabu wrote: »
    OK, I'll make a decision on the MoBo soon then, I did not know I can return items even if they are 100% functional and are exactly as described

Yes this is covered under EU law to protect people from impulse buying.
    2 weeks is the limit and all businesses must accept the return no matter what your reason is.
    If you got it from amazon they can sometimes be extremely accommodating and except things even after the 2 week period. They also process the refund as soon as it's been sent before the item is back at their warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

HP deliberately locked out GPU upgrades on certain machines, you can actually get them to work but it requires crazy workarounds like tapping random keys, etc, I had to do it more than once on HP machines. They used to do this with home PC's for some reason, but the office models didn't have this problem.

Is this for gaming? The 660Ti is not really a good card anymore, though still good for something like Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever. I wouldn't pay more than about €50 for one now. But yes it is massively faster than a GTX545 which would be no good for anything other than Minecraft or The Sims at this stage.

Your HP will probably support up to a GTX680 (if it fits), can get them for about €80. Your PSU is powerful enough but probably doesn't have the necessary connectors, if you have one six-pin, you may be able to use a dual molex to six-pin for another.

You can get a 2nd hand H61M motherboard on Ebay for about €60 delivered, as long as the HP uses standard format/power supply it's an easy switch, just have to reinstall windows. That would work fine with your 1060.

Thanks everyone again. The current MoBo is actually micro atx, not atx but I found a board on ebay for 45 GB£

It's an Intel DQ77MK

https://ark.intel.com/products/59044/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ77MK

I see it has a LGA1155 socket, a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot for the new graphics card and 4 DDR3 1333 RAM slots so all my items should fit. I just do not see any details for the BIOS, if it is uefi or not. If I look that board up on the compatibility page as provided by smuggler.ie I don't see the 1060 GPU listed, but the newer ones (same as for the old MoBo).

Intel dq77mk board has BIOS update released Mar 2018 available.
    Benchmarks for this motherboard show multiple builds with GTX 1060(RAM size differ)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Compatible Motherboards on PC-Specs site has listed this MoBo

So far look like you might be lucky with this one.
    Do more Google before commit to buy. Check other components(PSU, CPU, RAM, etc.)

Good luck

Intel® Desktop Board DQ77MK Technical Product Specification from Intel

Intel dq77mk board has BIOS update released Mar 2018 available.
    Benchmarks for this motherboard show multiple builds with GTX 1060(RAM size differ)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Compatible Motherboards on PC-Specs site has listed this MoBo

So far look like you might be lucky with this one.
    Do more Google before commit to buy. Check other components(PSU, CPU, RAM, etc.)

Good luck
    Thanks for that. the CPU socket is correct and it says i7 compatible. The RAM is also correct (DDR3, 1333Mhz), looks all fine, the PSU should also fit but if not I can always get a new PSU so all looking good.

About the BIOS, I have Windows 10, the page you have kindly provided says the BIOS download is for Windows XP, 7 and 8 so does that means I can't get this running on Windows 10 ? They might not write one for Windows 10 then.

It also says "OS independent", however you better ask Intel community to be sure as this can possibly "brick" your board.

All instructions given on download page, including Read Me (pdf) and Release Notes (pdf)
    Make sure you know what you doing before proceed.

You might not need BIOS update at all.

You won't need a bios update. HP deliberately restricted video card upgrades on some home PC's in the bios, usually manufacturers don't do this.

• Advertisement

It also says "OS independent", however you better ask Intel community to be sure as this can possibly "brick" your board.

All instructions given on download page, including Read Me (pdf) and Release Notes (pdf)
    Make sure you know what you doing before proceed.

You might not need BIOS update at all.
    I have contacted the seller on ebay and he said that the GTX 1060 will work with that motherboard, that windows 10 will work with this motherboard and that before sending it out he will have the latest BIOS flashed as well. So I have placed an order now. Hope it does not take too long, we'll see.

Thanks everyone for your help. Hope all goes well when I have it and exchange the motherboards.

You won't need a bios update. HP deliberately restricted video card upgrades on some home PC's in the bios, usually manufacturers don't do this.
    Very odd, I wonder what their gain is. But anyway, once this is done I won't have many of the orignal parts left in the tower :)

And while we are on the topic video card; NVIDEA announced the GeForce RTX 20 Series with the RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 in September/October :)

Took all a bit as I had of other things to do.

So I got that new MoBo and I also got myself a new SSD harddrive, just so I can still have the old harddrive as a backup. That way I don't have to worry about loosing data.

Today I finally had time to put all together and that worked well, old tower, old RAM, old CPU with new HDD, new 1060 videocard and new MoBo. Worked right away without any error beep.

However I got an issue with Windows 10 now. Old Windows 10 was the per-installed Win 7 from the initial PC that received the free upgrade to Win 10. I made a USB boot device for installation, it said I would not need to worry about the key. After installation was done it said Windows 10 is not activated and I followed the steps I found online that guided me to logging in with my Microsoft account. But unfortunately no license was found. It said no current devices were found linked to my digital license. I put back the old harddrive and extracted the Windows license key from the registry, converted it into the 25 letter product key but that was not accepted either.

Any ideas how I can activate my Windows 10 again ?

By the looks of it your original PC was OEM, windows license is tied to original motherboard and cannot be carried over to new build, so unfortunately you will have to purchase a new full retail Windows 10 license.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or just use windows 10 fully with just a watermark in the corner

By the looks of it your original PC was OEM, windows license is tied to original motherboard and cannot be carried over to new build, so unfortunately you will have to purchase a new full retail Windows 10 license.
    Yes, I did that yesterday after looking around online. I knew it was tied to the PC but I thought I can swap parts around including the motherboard.

So pricey enough the whole adventure. GB£ 45 for the motherboard, EUR 199 for a harddrive (1TB 860 Samsung EVO SSD) plus EUR 145 for a Windows 10 version from the Microsoft Store. Just to get a new video card running ....

But at least it runs great now, I tried Cities Skylines and it was a huge difference when rolling over the map and zooming in and out. Amazing difference actually. Plus the Windows 10 is a full version now. As far I understood it, I can keep it now, even if I build myself another PC one day.

Thanks all for your help.

Win10 works unactivated forever with a tiny watermark in the corner. I honestly think paying for Windows these days is just throwing money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It also disables any interface customisations. So much crud in the interface now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement