Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarket undercharged me, cashier made a mistake, what do I do?

• 19-08-2018 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

So I was buying a few food cartons at Tesco at the self checkout and the cashier tried to be helpful and put them through the machine altogether. However she somehow put them all through as one. I kind of noticed I was paying very little, however I am poor and didn't want to complain, also I was unsure until I looked at the receipt later. I'm €22 up.

Clearly I didn't do anything wrong here, if a big supermarket makes a mistake that's on them. However, I also don't want the cashier to get into trouble. So what do I do? People who actually have a clue of what would happen in this situation preferred please. For example would they go through records to try to find out what happened or would it go completely unnoticed. Maybe even she wanted to give me them for free but that's probably unlikely lol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Since when do the self checkouts have cashiers?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

That food will taste rotten knowing that it has potentially cost someone their job for the sake of €22. Also because it's food in a carton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Seve OB wrote: »

My local Tesco generally has somebody to help. They'd gladly put through you items if they see you are struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Seve OB wrote: »

They were referring to the person who hangs around authorising drink / helping people with the self checkouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I wouldn't be concerned.

The till balances and it was probably a genuine error by someone overworked as those self service tills are always causing problems.

It won't be noticed by the store in any way whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

"Clearly I didn't do anything wrong here"
    No so clearly. You should let them know and offer to pay. Maybe they will thank you and not ask for it (say it to a manager to improve your chances there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

So I was buying a few food cartons at Tesco at the self checkout and the cashier tried to be helpful and put them through the machine altogether. However she somehow put them all through as one. I kind of noticed I was paying very little, however I am poor and didn't want to complain, also I was unsure until I looked at the receipt later. I'm €22 up.

Clearly I didn't do anything wrong here, if a big supermarket makes a mistake that's on them. However, I also don't want the cashier to get into trouble. So what do I do? People who actually have a clue of what would happen in this situation preferred please. For example would they go through records to try to find out what happened or would it go completely unnoticed. Maybe even she wanted to give me them for free but that's probably unlikely lol.

Yes you clearly did something wrong, you knew that at the time. Taking something without paying is called....???

To be honest it would probably depend on how long it took them to pick up on items being missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Say nothing, if it's gone unnoticed you're more likely to get the helpful cashier into trouble by mentioning it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

'Unexpected post in forum area'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't worry about it. You're very unlikely to jeopardize the staff member's job. Be grateful for this small piece of good luck. Do somebody a kind favour over the course of the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

say nothing, be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Have a word with yourself there OP, are you dishonest or are you not.
    Don't go down that road......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Clearly I didn't do anything wrong here, if a big supermarket makes a mistake that's on them.

However, I also don't want the cashier to get into trouble. So what do I do?

It was a self-service transaction. Hence there is no human cashier. The self-service machine is effectively the cashier. The member of staff who helped you made an error which is virtually undetectable, unless the shop's security TV is linked to individual till receipts.

Your options are (i) to do nothing or (ii) to go back with your receipt and explain what happened. You choosing option (ii) is probably the only way that she will get into trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Self service tills are well covered by CCTV for obvious reasons. The store can check from records exactly when the transaction went through.

I don't envy supermarket staff their jobs, I would have called attention to a 22 euro discrepancy if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pointing out mistakes only leads to trouble I tried to sort out an error in a shop several weeks ago and it became my fault just move on and if it happens again point it out on the spot or the sky ninjas will drop out of nowhere and cut your hand off, their waiting and watching now........

cml387 wrote: »
    Self service tills are well covered by CCTV for obvious reasons. The store can check from records exactly when the transaction went through.

It would really depend on when the error was picked up on and how often stock taking/etc took place to notice the missing items!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If Tesco noticed the mistake person working at the cashier could already be in trouble. If they didn't notice it you pointing out that mistake could make it worse for the shop assistant. Don't do anything would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I wouldn't be concerned.

The till balances and it was probably a genuine error by someone overworked as those self service tills are always causing problems.

It won't be noticed by the store in any way whatsoever.
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    Say nothing, if it's gone unnoticed you're more likely to get the helpful cashier into trouble by mentioning it!
    boombang wrote: »
    Don't worry about it. You're very unlikely to jeopardize the staff member's job. Be grateful for this small piece of good luck. Do somebody a kind favour over the course of the week.

Ah okay thanks, that's great to hear. :) I've paid so much anyway over the years to Tesco I'm sure I've more than made up for it anyway with insurance or loss costs/whatever they pay anyway, a huge corporation with their finances won't miss it. I'd just hate to get someone at the lower levels to get into trouble or if they had to pay for it themselves especially if they would have partly counted on me to bring it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

pity now because it'll cost more than 22 euro to get a new identity :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

A load of Business Performance Improvement managers will get a 2 hour meeting out of this mishap and it will somehow justify their existence. Don’t worry and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Probably best to go back and burn the shop down tonight.
    Guarantees anonymity for you and the store assistant.
    To be doubly sure , maybe burn down a Lidl or two as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I was wondering what all the roadblocks were about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Probably best to go back and burn the shop down tonight.
    Guarantees anonymity for you and the store assistant.
    To be doubly sure , maybe burn down a Lidl or two as well.

Lidls don't burn. You need a JCB for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The items will be missed at the next stocktake which could be weeks away. Unless they suspect a particular employee and spend hours going through CCTV it will be forgotten. The hours wasted trawling through cameras would be a lot more valuable than a few cartons of food. Best to just forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya forget about it OP,

if its still on you're conscience in a week go back and see if she's still working there

The items will be missed at the next stocktake which could be weeks away. Unless they suspect a particular employee and spend hours going through CCTV it will be forgotten. The hours wasted trawling through cameras would be a lot more valuable than a few cartons of food. Best to just forget about it.

From my understanding with large supermarkets between thefts(be it accidentally or on purpose), staff errors, stuff going missing, breakages a lot of large supermarkets just write off a lot of stock without checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can Tesco handle such a big hit?

Will there be an announcement before the stock market opens in the morning?

Share trading suspended people clearing out their desks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Weres John Connors when you need him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Wouldn’t mention it. Nothing will come of that, she should pay more attention. End of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

From my understanding with large supermarkets between thefts(be it accidentally or on purpose), staff errors, stuff going missing, breakages a lot of large supermarkets just write off a lot of stock without checking.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure large supermarkets factor in a certain % of "lost" stock when calculating prices. I know hotels factor in stolen towels etc when pricing rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Every little helps

Every little hurts.

Anyway, call me cynical. Don't believe this actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It's how Hector Salamanca started out.
    Playing the Tesco Self Scan was his first scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Ah okay thanks, that's great to hear. :) I've paid so much anyway over the years to Tesco I'm sure I've more than made up for it anyway with insurance or loss costs/whatever they pay anyway, a huge corporation with their finances won't miss it. I'd just hate to get someone at the lower levels to get into trouble or if they had to pay for it themselves especially if they would have partly counted on me to bring it up.

If everyone had that attitude, we would be all taking items ... sure who does it hurt??? You have 'paid so much anyway' - yes - but you got your products for that or do Tesco just charge you to come in? Are you for real?? .... just off to Tesco to do some shoplifting sorry shopping - sure it doesn't hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Every little hurts.

Anyway, call me cynical. Don't believe this actually happened.

You're directing this to me? Why the **** would someone make up something like this?
    If everyone had that attitude, we would be all taking items ... sure who does it hurt??? You have 'paid so much anyway' - yes - but you got your products for that or do Tesco just charge you to come in? Are you for real?? .... just off to Tesco to do some shoplifting sorry shopping - sure it doesn't hurt anyone.

I didn't intentionally take anything, it was Tesco's mistake. The lady asked me how many I had and I clearly said twelve, on the receipt it says one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Frostybrew

Supermarkets have already factored in errors of this type into their profit margins. They save a fortune by not having to pay staff.

Enjoy your good fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You're directing this to me? Why the **** would someone make up something like this?

I didn't intentionally take anything, it was Tesco's mistake. The lady asked me how many I had and I clearly said twelve, on the receipt it says one.

I'm only replying to the fact that because Tesco are such a big company - your 'good fortune' as other posters have called it won't be noticed - I'm just saying that if we all had that attitude - they wouldn't be long in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

You are right it is their error however you did know before you left the store that you were massively undercharged.
    I'm no paragon of virtue but in a case like that Id like to think I say something to the lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Frostybrew

You could offer to invoice Tesco for the time you spent to rectify their error to the tune of 22 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Balanadan wrote:
    That food will taste rotten knowing that it has potentially cost someone their job for the sake of €22. Also because it's food in a carton.

OMG!!! I hope you're not serious!!! More money ends up in the bin at the end of the day in large supermarkets through damaged produce, gone off produce etc.

OP........don't worry about it. Nobody loses a job of stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one cares. They break and damage more stock in a day and throw it out, that 22.00 means nothing.
    No one is going to miss the items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I work in Tesco, I can tell you nothing will happen to the person who helped you. I wouldnt bother going back either, that wouldn't get them into trouble, it also wouldn't be a big deal to anyone either.

Enjoy your €22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Take the €22 and go but yourself a box of fresh fruit and veg to counter balance all that carton food.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

When I worked in supermarkets, albeit over twenty years ago, the only time you'd get a bollocking was when your till was short. Stocktakes were regular but wouldn't usually be linked to security cameras for missing stock. The only products they really monitored daily were the alcohol and fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

There's always one. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know they'll be blaming you for the collapse of Lehman Brothers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What about the 'unexpected item in the bagging area'? Just trying to visualise lifting all through while checking one then putting just the one into the bagging area and the rest directly into the trolly. Hard to do 'accidentally'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

looksee wrote: »
    What about the 'unexpected item in the bagging area'? Just trying to visualise lifting all through while checking one then putting just the one into the bagging area and the rest directly into the trolly. Hard to do 'accidentally'.

I think the scales are often disabled when shop assistant authorities transaction. They have to do it every so often for small products for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Just go and get on with your life OP.
    Its hardly earth shattering.
    It's a mistake made by Tesco staff ffs. Its 20 quid of goods like! What's the problem??
    It happens every day of the week.

You're making a big deal out of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

op; maybe give the money to a charity tesco support? Here they support the V de P food banks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think the scales are often disabled when shop assistant authorities transaction. They have to do it every so often for small products for me.

No, but when we put something through as a quantity you don't put it on the scales. It goes straight in the trolley or bag.

They're not disabling the scale for you, they're telling the machine that the items on the scale are correct and the weight it's at is accurate.
    Then you have someone put their handbag on it and complain, over I go and scan my magic barcode and say yes nothing has been scanned and the extra weight is ok. Then she takes her bag off to get her purse and back I go. Then her child rests on it, I ok that. Child gets off and I ok that. Then she's getting annoyed at the stupid scales and I have to say it's because you put your bag on it and took it off. Then your child was climbing on it. It's not the machine!!

Jesus half the time I'm telling them I have to approve the alcohol for them and they're ramming a €10 note into the machine. I stop and stare at them trying over and over...getting frustrated and making their note useless to the machine. 'It won't let you pay until I approve the alcohol, excuse me ' but but.. I always do it this way.

Ah I hate those machines, that was a rant and a half. Also at least 3 times a day people try tap their card for stuff over €30 and just walk away. WAIT FOR A RECEIPT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement