Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarket undercharged me, cashier made a mistake, what do I do?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The Orb wrote: »
    Yes you clearly did something wrong, you knew that at the time. Taking something without paying is called....???

Having being overcharged / tricked by 'supermarkets' on several occasions, I wouldn't be getting too hung up on the morality of a small gain the other way!!

You know the sort of thing they get up to: charging more than what is marked on the shelf. Putting prominent notices up about 'special deals' but placing the same product in a different form very close, so that you accidentally pick up the item that's not included in the offer and is a lot more expensive and so on. You'd rarely spot these 'errors' in a larger basket of goods, unless you're watching like a hawk at the checkout. And yes, I've been caught out by Tesco more often than anywhere else wrt above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Ah I hate those machines, that was a rant and a half. Also at least 3 times a day people try tap their card for stuff over €30 and just walk away. WAIT FOR A RECEIPT.

I find the machines great. I don't mind cashier staff in Aldi but I will go to the machine every time in Tesco's or Dunnes. If they want to avoid people fumbling with loads of products that require authorisation at self service cashiers then they should employ half decent staff at the manned cashiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tesco often have 'mis priced' goods on their shelves Bargain Alerts often flags them. A 20 euro item might scan for 2 euro. A mistake like this could cost Tesco thousands but they just write it off.

Half the staff probably take advantage of the mistake before it gets fixed.

Anyway, Tesco have ways of legally screwing their customers through misleading special offers. I often used to see 'buy one get one free' offers where a single item is less than half the price of the specially marked package.

that's why I hardly ever shop at tesco anymore. It was too frustrating comparing the price per items or price per weight to get the best price and not get ripped off by dishonest marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

shopkeeper who had £766,000 accidentally deposited into his bank account has been jailed after spending some of the money.

He added: “You must have realised quite quickly payments were being made that ought not to have been.

“The efforts you made to contact them were desultory; it would be very simple to inform a company of this type of error.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/10/man-jailed-theft-766k-accidentally-transferred-bank-account/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Akrasia wrote: »
    Tesco often have 'mis priced' goods on their shelves Bargain Alerts often flags them. A 20 euro item might scan for 2 euro. A mistake like this could cost Tesco thousands but they just write it off.

Half the staff probably take advantage of the mistake before it gets fixed.

I worked in a spar about 10 -15 years ago and we had 2 different versions of cans of Corrs light. One of the barcodes scanned 8 cans for €8.99 (or something like that) and the other had the most recent barcode that scanned 6 cans for the same price.

Every couple weeks a new batch of the cheaper cans would come in with the normal deliveries. Once it was noticed myself, one of the lads and one of the girls would stuff them in the back of the fridge and then buy them for ourselves if we were going to have a few can.

The gaffer never noticed and over time less and less of them came into the shop. Stock take was okay, tills were balanced. It was just a workaround we found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Imagine the shoe was on the other foot. If you received too little change, and went back to the shop later, what would you be told?

If you think the shop would accommodate you, then fair is fair, I'd go back and tell them the self-service machine seems to have undercharged you. Nobody needs to get into trouble.

If the shop has signs saying something along the lines of "check your change before leaving as mistakes can't be rectified later", then that works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My local Tesco self scanner used to scan 6 packs of beer as single cans, happy times.

Tesco can afford the 22 quid. As you were OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

animaal wrote: »

If you think the shop would accommodate you, then fair is fair, I'd go back and tell them the self-service machine seems to have undercharged you. Nobody needs to get into trouble.

The OP basically admits in the OP that the assistant put everything through as one so somebody might get in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The OP basically admits in the OP that the assistant put everything through as one so somebody might get in trouble.

If somebody was at risk of getting in trouble, then definitely.

However, one of the previous posters here said they worked for Tesco, and there was no rick of trouble for the Tesco employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Time to short my tesco stocks. They are clearly going under soon.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I often wonder if stolen items are ever noticed?
    I knew a fella who robbed stuff every week in Tesco in his shopping and he got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

fussyonion wrote: »
    I often wonder if stolen items are ever noticed?
    I knew a fella who robbed stuff every week in Tesco in his shopping and he got away with it.

It's known as shrinkage. Stock shrinkage. It's expected and accounted for.
    In a shop traditionally reckoned 90% is attributed to employees and 10% to shoplifters.

Advertisement