Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's only weather. Nobody died.

agree, totally but have had a good chuckle at some of the posts! Calm and clear out here now. This last while it only seems to get windy at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grand passable day for the most part in Dublin so far. Although it's cloudy, the cloud is rather light than dark along with it being nice and mild. This is a perfectly ok day to me (though blue skies would be better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oh I'd agree 100% on the winter to date from a farming perspective except for the sting in its tail caveat ala 2013
    It may be 11c today but it won't be tomorrow or most of next week and of course from a farming point of view grass is no good if it's too wet or too cold to graze it

I was speaking to a neighbour only 2 days ago whose view on this winter has been the same as mine,he's been out with the herd grazing all this unheard of winter grass while it's there

As regards dissing snow fans as those with office jobs or no jobs,This forum is no place for jibes like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i often wonder how that narrative/mindset started i.e farmers are the salt of the earth and the rest of us are just sub human wasters.

anyways its been an abysmal winter so far,mt craniums forecast reads as pure pig scutter this morning, marginal slop mess compared to yesterdays snowy goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been outside and the weirdest sky. Dark deep blue clouds lying low over three sides, mountains hidden,,,, and bright sun in the gap .. gone bitter cold too... shivers.. west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Niagra falls 22/01/19 (pic independent uk)
    AXII58E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Point being it's been the best winter in terms of being able to plan and do stuff.

This forum is all doom and gloom with ye's being spoilt with the SSW last year and expecting the same results this year.

Get out and mow the lawn, walk the dog on the beach, get on your bike.
    Rather than this killing yourselves looking for cold weather and then it disappears when it gets into the reliable timeframe and then the gloom descends.

If the cold weather comes it comes, if it doesn't it doesn't. But your life in the garden, having afternoon delight with the dog or cycling your bike will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Point being it's been the best winter in terms of being able to plan and do stuff.

This forum is all doom and gloom with ye's being spoilt with the SSW last year and expecting the same results this year.

Rather than this killing yourselves looking for cold weather and then it disappears when it gets into the reliable timeframe and then the gloom descends.

If the cold weather comes it comes, if it doesn't it doesn't. But your life in the garden, **** the dog or cycling your bike will continue.

You need to edit the last sentence in your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

If the cold weather comes it comes, if it doesn't it doesn't. But your life in the garden, **** the dog or cycling

Like cycling but **** the dog is more of a summer hobby dont you think 😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

But your life in the garden, **** the dog or cycling your bike will continue.

No matter the weather I really don't think you should be doing that to a dog!

• Advertisement

If the cold weather comes it comes, if it doesn't it doesn't. But your life in the garden, **** the dog or cycling your bike will continue.

thats it im going out to plough a field with my bare hands,then ill **** the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

We got mild winters like this before and we ended up with wash out summers.

We seem to get better summers after harder cold winters.

I hate this dull weather. I wouldn't agree it is easy to do stuff as I find with the humidity you are sweating, but still need a jacket on because of the cold. It is very much like our typical summers at the moment (except 7 or 8c cooler).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS hints at possible dusting of snow in places tomorrow night/Sunday morning

42-574UK.GIF?25-6

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Gonzo wrote: »

42-574UK.GIF?25-6

Excuse my lack of ability to read those chart's.
    Which colour would the snow be ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Muckka wrote: »

The snow would be in the areas with the white hatched lines. Areas without lines would be rain. The lighter the blue the lighter the rain/sleet/snow. Greener is heavier and sometimes it can go yellow which would be heavy precipitation.

that chart shows mostly rain around the coasts, chance of light snow inland. England and Wales still has some mild air, the cold air already across Ireland by late tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Muckka wrote: »
    Gonzo wrote: »

Snow is the light blue with the lines going through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Bottom line -- Ireland may escape the worst of the potential for wintry weather (or the best depending on your point of view) but that is not guaranteed in this volatile situation. Some of the biggest snowfalls in Irish weather history have been in February, March or even April, so the book is far from closed.

Read as: no snow lined up but remember it snowed in spring before. Therefore, time to start investing in rain gear and summer clothes available cheap in the winter sales. No need for the heavy duty jacket and no snow day from work 😣

Read as: no snow lined up but remember it snowed in spring before. Therefore, time to start investing in rain gear and summer clothes available cheap in the winter sales. No need for the heavy duty jacket and no snow day from work ��

thats one of the last nails in place,just have to get the hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

tikkamark wrote: »
    Snow is the light blue with the lines going through it

Looks like the west coast may get a blast so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

We got mild winters like this before and we ended up with wash out summers.

We seem to get better summers after harder cold winters.

).

And the narrative was, this winter would be cold after the warm summer.
    I think that shows that just picking the odd year out of a hat and trying to set a precedent doesn’t always work. The weather will do what it’s going to do and trying to predict how the season will have an effect on the next is not accurate especially when it comes to Ireland.
    But it might work 1 in every 5 or 10 years so people will say they were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Summer has no impact on the following Winter just as much as Winter has no impact on the following Summer.

Summer 1868 (arguably the most similar Summer to 2018) was followed by the exceptionally mild Winter of 1868-69 which to this day is still the mildest Winter on record.

Summer 1995 was followed by a cold Winter with several snowy intervals and cold spells besides the first half of January which was really mild.

Winter 1946-47 was followed by an equally exceptional hot Summer.

Winter 1984-85 was followed by a very terrible Summer with floods and dull conditions (also severe thunderstorms at times, most notably July 25/26).

Just some examples but you get the gist.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Summer has no impact on the following Winter just as much as Winter has no impact on the following Summer.

Summer 1868 (arguably the most similar Summer to 2018) was followed by the exceptionally mild Winter of 1868-69 which to this day is still the mildest Winter on record.

Summer 1995 was followed by a cold Winter with several snowy intervals and cold spells besides the first half of January which was really mild.

Winter 1946-47 was followed by an equally exceptional hot Summer.

Winter 1984-85 was followed by a very terrible Summer with floods and dull conditions (also severe thunderstorms at times, most notably July 25/26).

Just some examples but you get the gist.

Couldn't agree more but i seen many links from "Twitter weather expert" posted on here and forecasts saying this was going to be a cold winter.

Anyway, i've loved the winter we've had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Calling this a great winter for farmers seems a bit shortsighted considering January rainfall totals across the country are way down on long-term averages.

Not great when we really only just caught up from the drought over the summer in a lot of places. Better hope summer is wetter than usual, or the drought will start early this year, I think.

squeaky bum time,gerry murphy must be practicing say the word snow in a broom cupboard in glasnevin.

schn...

schn...

schn

schl ... schl eeet.

ah fup it.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Calling this a great winter for farmers seems a bit shortsighted considering January rainfall totals across the country are way down on long-term averages.

Not great when we really only just caught up from the drought over the summer in a lot of places. Better hope summer is wetter than usual, or the drought will start early this year, I think.

Yeah ill give you that, a bit more rain at night wouldn't go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

A period of strong and blustery northwest winds will develop later Saturday, starting along the Atlantic Seaboard and extending to other coastal counties overnight. High seas expected also.
    Northwest winds, mean speeds 55 to 65 km/h, giving gusts between 90 and 110 km/h. The strongest of the winds will be in exposed coastal locations, where winds may temporarily exceed these values.

Issued: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Updated: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Valid from Saturday 26 January 2019 20:00 to Sunday 27 January 2019 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Got the 1st cut of the grass done today, mild breezy and dry here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautiful day here in Sth Wicklow
    Max of 12.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

thats it im going out to plough a field with my bare hands,then ill **** the dog.

Ha, what you do in your spare times your own business buddy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

MJohnston wrote: »

Ah no, there was plenty of rain since the drought to bring the soil back to normal saturation levels. There is very little evaporation in winter anyway and the lakes/river are at healthy winter levels. The drought wont 'start early' just because January or February was drier than normal. The fields/swards are actually in very good shape and some farmers have cut grass already. It's flooding that makes a mess of the land. As long as we get normal rainfall during the growing months, it will be fine.

Advertisement