Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen this on met.ie...looking at the map on the site and wondering how the midlands are getting away with it when they are surrounded!

Blow blow thou winter wind... looks to be a bad one out here; west mayo offshore island

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    A period of strong and blustery northwest winds will develop later Saturday, starting along the Atlantic Seaboard and extending to other coastal counties overnight. High seas expected also.
    Northwest winds, mean speeds 55 to 65 km/h, giving gusts between 90 and 110 km/h. The strongest of the winds will be in exposed coastal locations, where winds may temporarily exceed these values.

Issued: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Updated: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Valid from Saturday 26 January 2019 20:00 to Sunday 27 January 2019 09:00

Ah no, there was plenty of rain since the drought to bring the soil back to normal saturation levels. There is very little evaporation in winter anyway and the lakes/river are at healthy winter levels. The drought wont 'start early' just because January or February was drier than normal. The fields/swards are actually in very good shape and some farmers have cut grass already. It's flooding that makes a mess of the land. As long as we get normal rainfall during the growing months, it will be fine.

so few jobs and actual livelihoods rely on the weather as farming does. I have every admiration for my farmer neighbours and it was such a kind Christmas for them this time. We are still seeing the cattle out occasionally out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

The cattle won't leave the sheds here, they hate this kind of weather for dome reason... Strange really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very mild day in cork city, feels like sometime in spring but alas the colder weather will be returning.

Mix of blue sky and clouds here atm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very mild here in Meath too, feels more like early April. Currently 11C, damp and dark all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Fairly messy week coming up at least that's the theme across most models this evening . Potential of a frontal sleet and snow event on Wednesday at the moment looks like it will affect Southern half of the country. This will shift quite a bit over the next few days. This could be some accumulation, no sign of anything too significant at the moment. We might have something similar around the 1st February after that back to Zonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the thing iv noticed with the gfs is the snow forecast tends to mysteriously turn to pig scutter closer to the time along the immediate coast.

still time for it turn into a pigs ear,so caution is advised.

YanSno wrote: »
    Fairly messy week coming up at least that's the theme across most models this evening . Potential of a frontal sleet and snow event on Wednesday at the moment looks like it will affect Southern half of the country. This will shift quite a bit over the next few days. This could be some accumulation, no sign of anything too significant at the moment. We might have something similar around the 1st February after that back to Zonal.

drip,
    drip,
    drop,
    goes

the marginal sound
    of slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

The horror winter of 2018/2019 (for snow seekers) continues in earnest.........

D

derekon wrote: »
    The horror winter of 2018/2019 (for snow seekers) continues in earnest.........

D

iv just finished the floral arrangement around its coffin,got a lump hammer and a nice jumbo pack of nails on stand by.

i wonder whats the going rate for a hotel room in davos this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just like the run of winters from the late eighties through most of the 90s,it was nearly snowless and frost free.
    I remember my nephew was 8 year's old at the time and hadn't seen snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

iv just finished the floral arrangement around its coffin,got a lump hammer and a nice jumbo pack of nails on stand by.

i wonder whats the going rate for a hotel room in davos this time of year.

Well if you need someone to say the eulogy, I'm your man! Also I'd give Davos a few weeks if it's reasonably priced hotel rooms you're after!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

So back to winter you know the one that’s not over yet. Tuesday bloody cold chance of a few showers... nothing like solid snow unfortunately.

Tuesday night more of a chance for more showers. No drifts lol. But from then on ?

It’s looking pretty cold, so even if it’s dusting it’ll be sorta winter wonderlandish that’s kinda cool pardon the pun.

Not quite a National event, yet but it’s looking cold and that’s a huge improvement in my frosty book. I’m going to be in Dublin Mullingar Naas Mayo and Clane over the next 7 days so I’m model watching like a mad woman. First week of Feb is still a cold trend and like I always say the trend is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Despite how poor this winter has been, if we manage to get a dusting then that makes it a better winter than most winters here since 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Despite how poor this winter has been, if we manage to get a dusting then that makes it a better winter than most winters here since 2010...

I’m using the term dusting as liberally as I can

Artane2002 wrote: »

This winter has been great, kind to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Is it spring yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Graces7 wrote: »
    This winter has been great, kind to us.

The lack of disruption is good but as an enthusiast I want snow. It's good that you are safe though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

A few words from MT’s forecast this morning that make me shiver- ‘sleety Atlantic cold westerly theme’! I like cold and snow, I love sun and heat, I never enjoy what we get from the North Atlantic- winter or summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sideswipe wrote: »
    A few words from MT’s forecast this morning that make me shiver- ‘sleety Atlantic cold westerly theme’! I like cold and snow, I love sun and heat, I never enjoy what we get from the North Atlantic- winter or summer.

If it's not going to snow then northwesterlies are my favourite in Winter as they tend to produce a lot of sunshine here in Dublin. This Winter has been seriously deficient from sunshine so it would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The threat of a repeat of the once in a generation drought last July again this year has been eased in the west has eased this morning ..........pissing

I get people in the middle of summer who may want a bit of rain for crops etc
    But asking for rain in January ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Rumour has it the boom is covering Dublin . And Dublin stays dry lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Rumour has it the boom is covering Dublin . And Dublin stays dry lmao

Now it looks like I was talking to myself , captain snow uploaded a chart covering the whole country in snow. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Now it looks like I was talking to myself , captain snow uploaded a chart covering the whole country in snow. Lol

giphy.gif

:D:D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible morning here, heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet morning here in cork city but dry now with some very dark clouds around. Already pretty windy, definitely more windy then has been for the last couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

But will it build!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You want snow!???

I'll give you snow!!!

Galtymore, 917m, Wednesday night.

13cm of white gold. Windy too.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Galtymore/forecasts/917

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

It's Baltic here in Ennistymon, within an hour the temperature has dropped significantly.

Something is on the way for definite.

Advertisement