Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Don't know if it is just my device but I just noticed that all posters` locations have disappeared including my own. Is this some new GDPR regulation that I missed reading about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Don't know if it is just my device but I just noticed that all posters` locations have disappeared including my own. Is this some new GDPR regulation that I missed reading about?

Same for me so not just your device.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah it's to do with the GDPR regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That’s been the case for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Any chance the forecast for week ahead can fall apart? Heading to the Alps next weekend for my cold fix and don't fancy 18 degrees!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

February is definitely spring. Settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

It's just weather conditions this February though.

We could say on 28 February last year, February is winter, settled :)

Also if February is Spring that would make November winter. In meterological terms i'm definite 4 out of 5 Februarys are colder than November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Grand, if we get any daytime temperatures in the low double digits in June, I'm calling June autumn.... Or maybe winter, depending on my mood at the time. Makes way more sense to class the seasons as per our personal preferences rather than any sort of official classification systems.

The above may contain some ever so slightly sarcastic content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

For example i'll take Oak Park weather monthly mean stats for the last few Februaries and Novembers..

2016: Feb 4.9C, Nov 5.2C.
    2017: Feb 6.5C, Nov 6.7C.
    2018: Feb:3.6C, Nov 8.1C.

30 Year Climatic Average: Feb 5.6C and Nov 7.2C

Meterologically February is winter regardless of whether we had a beast from the east last Feb or warm air from the south this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Dublin Airport 1981–2010 averages
    TEMPERATURE (degrees Celsius) Jan Feb Mar Apr-May-Jun- Jul --Aug-Sep- Oct-Nov-Dec

mean temperature
    5.3 5.3 6.8 8.3 10.9 13.6 15.6 15.3 13.4 10.5 7.4 5.6

And taking Dublin Airport as another example as it's in a location where a very large percentage of the population live, plus it's quite near the sea, again where most people tend to live.

You can see that February is, on average, joint coldest month - sharing with January.

August, which some claim to be in Autumn, is the second warmest month of the year and is only a few tenths of a degree Celsius cooler than July.

Some also claim that May is a summer month, yet it is cooler than the supposed autumn months of August and September by quite a lot. And despite May being allegedly summer, it's only marginally warmer than the alleged final month of Pagan autumn. So May is the 5th coldest month of the year yet some people still insist it is summer.

Same goes for winter - November is the 8th warmest month of the year but some insist on calling it winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still not great here in cork. Showers, strong wind, cold too. Hopefully it picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Still not great here in cork. Showers, strong wind, cold too. Hopefully it picks up.

Likewise here. Went to Waterford and tramore this afternoon very blustery showery and felt cold. Sea was very angry looking.

Likewise here. Went to Waterford and tramore this afternoon very blustery showery and felt cold. Sea was very angry looking.

Well, if the current charts are accurate, by this day next week we may well be needing to wear summer clothes and sunscreen.:eek:

It'll hopefully kick start some Spring growth though, would be nice to have a proper Spring this year after last years affair where it was late April before trees were in leaf

Grass growth is already way ahead of normal for Feb even before the forecast unseasonably warm weather gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo wrote: »
    a peach of a day here, very sunny, still mild and a decent breeze. Great day for walking. Were heading towards another very dry month too with rainfall totals at Dunsany only 24.9mm up to the 16th of February. Rainfall totals for January and February to date are well down on 2018.

Think we have a different climate down here these last few days. Was watching my kid playing a football match from 11 to 12.30 and the wind was positively Baltic. Had 4 layers on and was frozen, as was everyone else on the sideline.

Baolstoning? That`s a new one. Never heard that before.
    Fixed :pac::o

Actually, now that I think of it, your original term for hailstones is quite descriptive. A bombardment of baolstones has a nice ring to it I think.;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    could Ireland see a 20C before February 28th, could London or southern England get a 22 or even 23C in such a setup?

I'm not a fan of warm weather in winter but I am excited by the prospect of temperature records being smashed.

GloSea5 is also showing a warm, dry May to July. Brace for a cold, wet summer then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

My cherryblossoms made an appearance yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The science is that temp and rainfall tend to average out over 12 months.

Yeah, they average out into a warming trend for the climate.....

This “we’ll pay for it” stuff is nonsense.

Yeah, they average out into a warming trend for the climate.....

This “we’ll pay for it” stuff is nonsense.

It isn't really nonsense... after a very dry spell we are bound to get a wet spell. Take May-July 2018 (very dry) for example. We got very wet weather in November 2018 and December. I don't believe it is a case of balancing, more like a certain weather pattern isn't going to last forever and will break eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Think we have a different climate down here these last few days. Was watching my kid playing a football match from 11 to 12.30 and the wind was positively Baltic. Had 4 layers on and was frozen, as was everyone else on the sideline.

And that's where I have a problem with this current weather pattern. In a normal Feb you'd expect it to be Baltic and you'd dress accordingly.

But with all this hype re busting Feb records and high double digit temps forecast you just don't know what to put on. And end up either sweating or frozen. Which imo is a major pain in the ass. Gotta love a proper Feb when you wrap up nice and cosy in your coat,scarves,gloves and feel good, instead of this layers malarky.

Welcome to global warming folks,what else can it be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

acequion wrote: »
    And that's where I have a problem with this current weather pattern. In a normal Feb you'd expect it to be Baltic and you'd dress accordingly.

But with all this hype re busting Feb records and high double digit temps forecast you just don't know what to put on. And end up either sweating or frozen. Which imo is a major pain in the ass. Gotta love a proper Feb when you wrap up nice and cosy in your coat,scarves,gloves and feel good, instead of this layers malarky.

Welcome to global warming folks,what else can it be!

You seem to be confusing the weather thread with the women's fashion thread.

You seem to be confusing the weather thread with the women's fashion thread.

No I don't think so. Weather is weather and it's what we plan and dress for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I can assure you the majority of people aren't in this thread to discuss what to wear tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

My cherryblossoms made an appearance yesterday.

Same
    Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes I saw lots of them today too

And my own apple blossom usually flowers late March has started to flower.....but has no leaves!!

I can assure you the majority of people aren't in this thread to discuss what to wear tomorrow.

People are on this thread to discuss weather. Some discuss it from a very scientific, meteorological point of view while others discuss how it affects their daily lives. As in whether to mow the lawn tomorrow. Whether the cherry blossoms are in bloom early or late. And as in what they should wear as weather dictates how we all dress. It's a weather forum, therefore open to all weather related comments.

Do you not agree?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I agree.

It's a weather chat thread. Every person has their own angle on the weather, wether it be travel, clothing or forecasting. Or that chat you had with someone on the bus!

It's one of those things that bring us together.

A nice, cold, sunny morning in Dublin 5. At least it's not mild at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy rain showers this morning in Galway, not fun!

Advertisement