Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

lolie wrote: »
    Now showing 24°c, must be some big bonfires lit up there.
    Yep, 12th July came early this year!
    No, Co.down here, no more than 13C today, stiffish breeze tho`

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

was about the same temp in Cork today as the rest of the week but it feels a lot warmer, the breeze is warmer. Its humid too. Still dull cloud though, 10 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Someone clearly doesn't like us.

There is 4 inches of Snow in Las Vegas.

The world could have a day after tomorrow event and still miss out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

possibly the peak of the warmth next Monday.

102-582UK.GIF?21-12

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just looking at the ECM this evening and from a cold lover's perspective, the horror show continues. The horror show that was and is winter 2018/2019 shows no sign of abating.

The so called experts got it spectacularly wrong with their predictions.

Lesson learned.

I won't be taking ANY winter forecast next October/November seriously from ANY source and that includes the UK Met Office periodic "outlooks"....... an absolute SHOCKER of a winter.

Roll on Spring...........:D

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh I love the ignorance of "you can be right twenty times, but be wrong once and I'll say you're always wrong".

Fits nicely to politics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

derekon wrote: »
    I won't be taking ANY winter forecast next October/November seriously from ANY source and that includes the UK Met Office periodic "outlooks"....... an absolute SHOCKER of a winter.

D

Why take them seriously in the first place? It's all just for fun and pure speculation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

derekon wrote: »
    Just looking at the ECM this evening and from a cold lover's perspective, the horror show continues. The horror show that was and is winter 2018/2019 shows no sign of abating.

The so called experts got it spectacularly wrong with their predictions.

Lesson learned.

Roll on Spring...........:D

D

I think it's safe to say next Winter will be colder than this winter, this winter has been exceptional in terms of model failure and relentless mild and even warmth. We're bound to have more frost and lower temperatures next winter, it would be difficult to achieve another winter as mild as this one so soon.

Winter 2017/2018 and Winter 2018/2019 have been two winters back to back of opposite extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why take them seriously in the first place? It's all just for fun and pure speculation.

A lot of the forecasts are not just for fun and people / companies do make decisions based off them. It seems quite irresponsible for agencies like the Met Office to put out mid / long term forecast with absolutely pathetic accuracy records.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MidMan25 wrote: »
    A lot of the forecasts are not just for fun and people / companies do make decisions based off them. It seems quite irresponsible for agencies like the Met Office to put out mid / long term forecast with absolutely pathetic accuracy records.

It's all about money in that department then if you're going down that road.

EDIT: Plus what JCX BXC said too I guess.

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »

Why do people and companies make decisions off them? Is common sense really and truly gone out the window?

Especially in terms of a company, can they afford to have such ignorance to believe that, without any research, they can simply rely on a forecast, which even the dogs on the street know is no more than an educated guess?

Realistically, if a company suffers due to that forecast being inaccurate, their loss is at their own peril and blaim lies with them for being negligent in their research. No sympathy should be afforded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Probably time for a post-mortem on this non-winter (almost).

Forecasts almost universally called for some serious cold and snow and tended to suggest January as the time for it, some were more into a late January first half of February winter core. So it wasn't just me. :)

Looking at my own particular take on it, the entire winter turned out about 3 degrees milder start to finish, the variations were about what was expected but when I said cold, it was just around average (in mid to late January), running a bit colder than normal in parts of Britain then, and when the forecast suggested average or mild it was very mild (for example about now, also early to mid December).

Meanwhile, some seriously cold and snowy intervals did materialize a bit further east into Germany, Poland and parts of central Europe into the Alps. This would tell you that the predicted patterns were further east than expected. There wasn't much blocking to be found, just rather stationary ridge-trough setups that never quite delivered the goods even when there was a bit of an opening in late January (some 10-15 day prog charts were wonderful so that tells you the atmosphere was within one turn of the dial from delivering, but it didn't and there's no denying that fact).

Across North America, the patterns expected were somewhat closer to the mark. Severe cold continued to sit over north central Canada almost all winter and sometimes made forays south, Chicago had one of its coldest four day periods on record at the end of January. What was probably largely unexpected was that the arctic air made a retrograde move into western Canada and then south into the western USA, a pattern which shows no signs of abating. This has not been your typical El Nino winter although the first half of it was largely similar to expectations here. The pattern change took place on Groundhog Day, and we have been below normal here ever since.

Did the SSW event screw things up? I don't accept that sort of reasoning because any working LRF system must be able to anticipate such events and therefore must incorporate them into the outlook. To treat them as external to the challenge is defeating the whole purpose of making a long-range forecast. If anything, the SSW event should have pushed the cold winter forecasts over the finish line around mid-January, and hundreds of pages of model discussion later, this turned into an epic fail. Whatever the SSW event actually did, it failed to produce high latitude blocking highs or retrogression over Europe and Asia at least. So it may as well not have happened at all from the point of view of most forecasters.

Can anything be learned from all this? I've been reading no end of commentary on other long range forecast threads (both sides of the Atlantic) where people say "next time I will blah blah" but in my case, the challenge never really changes, I just have to keep plugging away at a method that has had some degree of success longer term and see if it's possible to improve the performance by discovering new elements to add to the index value set that I use. This gets so complicated that I don't expect there to be sudden flashes of inspiration followed by marked improvements. The next seasonal forecast I derive from the techniques may be back to a reasonably good outcome without doing anything, but I am always thinking about new lines of investigation that would justify adding new material to the method.

Without even running the model I would say that winter may not be over in the meteorological sense. There's probably a final twist to the tale lurking when the circulation flattens out this western North American ridge-trough combination. I have the feeling that there will be a snowstorm at some point in March or maybe even April this year, nature will not be happy with moving April to February but could retaliate by moving February to April.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Very windy in the SW all day. Gusting now similar to days when warnings were issued over the last few weeks

Wind is starting to build here now in cork city. Some gusts are really rattling the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So far it's been a very meh HP for Waterford, some watery sun this afternoon and tomorrow but fronts to mess the weekend, maybe we'll finally get something decent Monday/Tuesay

Breezy night in Galway. I note Kerry is on a yellow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Blowing a storm here in East Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Windy night now here. Temperatures rising. 11c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Ballygar co galway 22/02/19 7.23 temperature 12°C
    7KQetgc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

The sky over to the east and se this morning is akin to a warm sultry thundery morning in July.

• Advertisement

Still dull and raining in cork city..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dark mild and misty here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current 'IMT' value for Feb now on 7.2c, or nearly 2.0c above normal for this part of the month. In terms of warmth, this winter is now the 2nd warmest since 1989, and already, we have surpassed that winter's overall minima. However, still about 0.5c behind on its maxima. Thought we may not beat '89, but given that daily max temps up to the end of Feb are likely to reach into the low teens, it now looks like the winter of 2018/2019 could end up the warmest in many decades nationally speaking. We'll see anyways.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Current 'IMT' value for Feb now on 7.2c, or nearly 2.0c above normal for this part of the month. In terms of warmth, this winter is now the 2nd warmest since 1989, and already, we have surpassed that winter's overall minima. However, still about 0.5c behind on its maxima. Thought we may not beat '89, but given that daily max temps up to the end of Feb are likely to reach into the low teens, it now looks like the winter of 2018/2019 could end up the warmest in many decades nationally speaking. We'll see anyways.

For me this is a record breaking winter, without even looking at any data or charts I can tell this is the mildest/warmest Winter since I was born. Even the very mild winters of 1989, the mid 90s, the early to mid 2000's, 2011, 2012 etc all had at least a dusting of snow in my area and probably a few extra nights worth of frost.

I was talking to the coal man who delivers my coal, he said his business has been hit really hard this Winter due to the mild conditions. He said he's never felt a winter this mild either, and many people are going through far less orders for coal and logs compared to any other winter, his business is way down on even the 2011 and 2012 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow in Tuscon, Arizona, United States. Northern Arizona got a lot of snow. Not unusual. Southern Arizona and the lower elevations this is very unusual.

da115b47-3833-4759-a772-942514c0fbbd-52908199_2511523182252703_6038371122188124160_o.jpg?width=1080&quality=50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely afternoon though the wind is a bit keen at times (warmer inland I noticed when in South Kilkenny earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blustery evening in the west. Nice and dry though.

6pm
    Newport Mayo gusting 40 knots
    Mace head gusting 35 knots
    Knock gusting 35 knots.

21 stations had their February high temperature records broken today in the north of England.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1099004144210399232

The far south of the UK has done poorly so far with temperatures struggling to hit 10C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fairly wild here near Tralee this evening gusting over 70 kph from the S and very mild at 14.7C which is the highest temp of the day for here , some temperature for February at this hour of the night.

Edit at 20.53 : Getting windier , 10 min avg 40 kph and now 15.1C !

• Advertisement

Ireland on track for possibly the highest temperatures on Monday and the peak of the Winter heat.

75-580UK.GIF?22-12

Advertisement