Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

What a horrible winter, possible the most boring winter ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It was great - in that we didn't have one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Arrived back this evening into a cloudy, windy Kerry from a balmy, sunny London.

But I got all my outfits spot on :pac:

The first few days, Mon-Wed over there had temps of 10-12C which without Kerry's sweaty humidity,was really lovely and comfortable. It started to heat up in London on Thursday [yest] but I was grand with it as it was mainly cloudy. Today it started to get too warm for me for a February break. It was really sunny and I'd say temps were up to 15 or 16C. Everyone was out gardening in the village I was staying in. Some would love that but I was delighted to have more normal temps earlier in the week as we were doing loads of walking and outdoor sightseeing.

Great to get away from Kerry's constant damp for a few days but nice to be back now.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

upper air temperatures for this Monday, really shows the plume of warm air from Morocco to Ireland, I think it's possible a few places may reach 18C on Monday if properly sunny and sheltered.

ECMOPEU12_72_2.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah ECM usually shows lower temperatures than the GFS and in general can under forecast temperatures slightly I reckon but this time showing higher for Mon , currently showing widespread 14C to 16C away from Southern coasts and some 17C locally in the Northern half of the country in the afternoon .

ECU0-72_ywl1.GIF

x7wvcPd.png

xJosixa.png

GkHfTF6.png

fI40J99.png

eMA50Zu.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was out checking the place with a torch a few moments ago , so many noises from the strong Southerly wind tonight, and there is like a light foggy/ hazy air or maybe dust or both perhaps. Checking the Satellite pics for today and looking at the Saharan dust prediction charts wondering could we have a light coating tomorrow perhaps from that long Southerly fetch. ECM not show much dust for tonight but showing a fair amount for Monday.

ZDNBnoN.jpg

TUbyUfl.png

dQP8BEB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sure is some wind blowing out,thought my bike was going to blow over,as the moon was rising tonight it defiantly had a beautiful orange glow.
    was thinking Sahara dust myself,like a moon rise in central Europe in summer.

Powerful Jet coming out of the US today helping the formation of a very intense Low which is giving the Azores high level warnings this weekend. The HP over Europe helping to deflect it out into the Atlantic. Another LP on Sun into Mon staying well out in the Atlantic helping to steer up those warm airs on Mon.

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/1099053803528208384

Om9cLcB.gif

X20dWDX.png

HRXIfho.png

5TDmfUb.png

anim_vqo5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Another putrid grey and wet morning in Cork. This 'mild' spell has been shocking down here. Like so much of this winter the sun has not been seen for days on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Claremorris recorded it's all-time highest Feb minima of 11.5c yesterday. We have to go back as far as 1998 to see this station's next highest Feb min, which was 11.0c on February 12th that year.

Min here yesterday was 12.1c, which wouldn't be out of place in July or August.

Edit: Just to add, it also broke its highest all-time Feb maxima yesterday. 14.4c as opposed to the 13.8c recorded on Feb 27th, 1958.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I noticed some light haze yesterday too. It was a pretty nice day yesterday, mostly cloudy but some nice sunny spells.

57 dull days at Cork Airport from November up to February 22nd this season. This is the third highest amount of dull days at the station in the last 22 years (behind 2011-12 & 2015-16). Some bit away though from the highest amount of 73 days in 1975-76 and 69 days in 1991-92.

xQxaaGX.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzly muck here this morning, not a nice day to be outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    upper air temperatures for this Monday, really shows the plume of warm air from Morocco to Ireland, I think it's possible a few places may reach 18C on Monday if properly sunny and sheltered.

So the Feb high temperature record could yet come under threat of being broken then. Mad stuff. It sure has been an unusual winter to say the least.

So the Feb high temperature record could yet come under threat of being broken then. Mad stuff. It sure has been an unusual winter to say the least.

yep it still could be broken, however the GFS is showing the most likely high temperature to be in Mayo, Galway and Donegal on Monday, it will depend on how much sun they get on Monday.

If the highest temperatures were forcasted to be around the Phoenix Park or Carlow, I'd be more confident of the record being broken in good spells of sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lawn done
    Clothes dried
    Yard tidied

Enjoying this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Not bad in Dublin 5. It's cloudy but at least it's not the miserable sheet of low cloud/stratus kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Clouds are splitting in cork city and the sun is starting to appear. Temp has risen to 15 degrees now too according to the car. Ooh this is totally different then the rest of the week. First time I've actually felt some heat.

after a horrible morning, it's brightened up here after a very wet morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Clouds are splitting in cork city and the sun is starting to appear. Temp has risen to 15 degrees now too according to the car. Ooh this is totally different then the rest of the week. First time I've actually felt some heat.

Stunning afternoon now!

Glorious now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Stunning afternoon now!

After turning very foggy now, we went down to our summer home on the coast. Say it's working its way inland

Turned out to be a fantastic evening at Portmarnock Beach.

N4dEB4u.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was a lovely day in fairness.
    Calm, bright and nicely mild.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Dense Fog in Waterford City currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What a day! How anyone would prefer to be covered in inch's of frozen snow rather than this glorious warm sunshine is beyond me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What a day! How anyone would prefer to be covered in inch's of frozen snow rather than this glorious warm sunshine is beyond me :)

I would much prefer to have snowy wintry conditions now rather than in March or April which may well happen this spring. Apart from one week this winter has been unnaturally mild and I fear there will be payback later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How someone doesn't understand that people on a weather forum like interesting weather is beyond me!

Lines like the above are borderline trolling on this forum imo, as it's designed to get a reaction. We're not in preschool remember.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How someone doesn't understand that people on a weather forum like interesting weather is beyond me!

Lines like the above are borderline trolling on this forum imo, as it's designed to get a reaction. We're not in preschool remember.

Are we not near record breaking high temperatures for February ? And for the winter as a whole ?
    That’s interesting to me
    Just as being absolutely frozen is to others !

Advertisement