Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »
    Are we not near record breaking high temperatures for February ? And for the winter as a whole ?
    That’s interesting to me
    Just as being absolutely frozen is to others !

Not particularly in this country, temperatures up to 13c aren't particularly unusual at any time of the year. Perhaps on Monday.

However, record high temperatures for February are still very low, 14c isn't particularly magical and to be honest aren't really an experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

What a day! How anyone would prefer to be covered in inch's of frozen snow rather than this glorious warm sunshine is beyond me :)
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    How someone doesn't understand that people on a weather forum like interesting weather is beyond me!

Lines like the above are borderline trolling on this forum imo, as it's designed to get a reaction. We're not in preschool remember.

How you [JCX BXC] could consider that post by Ultimate Seduction as borderline trolling is actually beyond me. In fact your reaction is either real borderline trolling or rudeness beyond words. Live and let live for god's sake!!

In fact my own sentiments would be closer to this post below, but we are all entitled to our different opinions. None of us has any superior claim to post on the weather forum.
    I would much prefer to have snowy wintry conditions now rather than in March or April which may well happen this spring. Apart from one week this winter has been unnaturally mild and I fear there will be payback later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

How someone doesn't understand that people on a weather forum like interesting weather is beyond me!

Lines like the above are borderline trolling on this forum imo, as it's designed to get a reaction. We're not in preschool remember.

You’ve been saying the same thing all winter.
    In case you haven’t noticed, we don’t get interesting winter weather in ireland.
    We get ****e all winter with the 5% chance of 1 day of snow with perhaps 1 good easterly every few years.
    The term winter lovers or cold lovers shouldn’t apply to ireland because in other words it’s ****e weather.
    If we lived in Switzerland I’d understand but we don’t so this nice winter with warmer temperatures is actually interesting to most the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:

Posters need to desist from being uncivil and stop the trolling references.

Stay on topic.

Use the report button if you have a problem with a post.

Apologies to anyone who got offended at my post, that was quite a reaction above!

My point simply was that of course some people on a weather forum want cold weather in Winter! Constantly saying you don't understand is futile.

Today was a beautiful day and I did enjoy it! However I would take last year's cold again in a heartbeat. Some may not. Live and let live as acequion has just said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think we can now say that winter this year consisted of a few days around the start of this month;)

I've said it here several times that I MUCH prefer cold weather in winter. And likewise hot weather in summer. Yes today was lovely, but it was dark at 6pm, quickly reminding us all that in fact we're still in winter or at best very early spring. I don't want to acclimatise to this weather by switching to spring/summer pursuits like gardening, hanging out in the garden or conservatory,dressing in light clothes, only to be very abruptly pulled back into winter as can so easily happen in this country. So I'm no fan of this mild and frankly imo, rather weird winter.

But I completely understand that others love it. And hey,that's perfectly fine.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Dressing in light clothes if the weather is mild is the natural thing to do. It's in no way a chore or requiring extra effort. It's simply a matter of picking something different to wear.

Also, I got several hours of gardening done yesterday. I didn't do any switching to enable me to do so. I simply decided to do it based on the weather at the time. Saying you can only do certain activities or wear certain clothes depending on what the date is at the time is ludicrous.... Just go with the flow and respond to nature.

Sure, we'll likely get horrible weather between now and summer but this lovely spell of weather is enabling me to get some much needed gardening done in nice mild weather.

I finish work early in Monday. If the weather is as good as forecast, I really do look forward to hanging out in the garden. I'll take every opportunity I can to do so rather than complain that I shouldn't be expected to do so in February. I'm not wasting my life on such trivial things!

However, I do agree with you on your main point.... I MUCH prefer cold weather in winter and hot weather in summer however if the weather is nice for the time of year I take advantage and never ever complain when we get unseasonably warm weather in winter.

Dublin airport reporting 0°c at 1am, while Casement was reporting 6°c at 1am!

Dublin airport reporting 0°c at 1am, while Casement was reporting 6°c at 1am!

I got to -1.2c in North Kildare about an hour ago. Up to -0.4c now. I know this isn't the current conditions thread but just replying.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Dressing in light clothes if the weather is mild is the natural thing to do. It's in no way a chore or requiring extra effort. It's simply a matter of picking something different to wear.

Also, I got several hours of gardening done yesterday. I didn't do any switching to enable me to do so. I simply decided to do it based on the weather at the time. Saying you can only do certain activities or wear certain clothes depending on what the date is at the time is ludicrous.... Just go with the flow and respond to nature.

Sure, we'll likely get horrible weather between now and summer but this lovely spell of weather is enabling me to get some much needed gardening done in nice mild weather.

I finish work early in Monday. If the weather is as good as forecast, I really do look forward to hanging out in the garden. I'll take every opportunity I can to do so rather than complain that I shouldn't be expected to do so in February. I'm not wasting my life on such trivial things!

However, I do agree with you on your main point.... I MUCH prefer cold weather in winter and hot weather in summer however if the weather is nice for the time of year I take advantage and never ever complain when we get unseasonably warm weather in winter.

How is it that some posts come across as a long defensive lecture?

Why are some posters so intolerant of another point of view that they're immediately up with a rebuttal of what is merely a statement of someone's opinion?

So what if some people don't like to hang out in their garden in early February? But again so what if some people do? The tone of some posts really is amazing.

But regarding how to dress, saying that we should just respond to nature regardless of the actual season is actually what is ludicrous. As any good doctor will confirm, dressing in summer wear too early has been the cause of many a good bout of pneumonia. So personally I prefer to wait until spring is well advanced before shedding my clothes. But again, not my problem if other people don't.

Will I now be attacked for expressing my views I wonder? Or maybe I can hope that readers here might actually go with the flow and accept differing opinions.

acequion wrote: »
    As any good doctor will confirm, dressing in summer wear too early has been the cause of many a good bout of pneumonia.

Ah, you're having a laugh now. Are you trying to say that those of us who didn't wear clothes made for cold winter weather this weekend are at risk of (somewhat oddly) developing a potentially life threatening lung condition? If that's the case, I'll wish you all the best as I've been not wearing many layers of late so it seems that my fate is sealed and that I am doomed to die from pneumonia.

Was great to know you all!

highdef wrote: »
    Ah, you're having a laugh now. Are you trying to say that those of us who didn't wear clothes made for cold winter weather this weekend are at risk of (somewhat oddly) developing a potentially life threatening lung condition? If that's the case, I'll wish you all the best as I've been not wearing many layers of late so it seems that my fate is sealed and that I am doomed to die from pneumonia.

Was great to know you all!

Grand. Off you go and wear what you like. But personally I find dressing like its summer when it's still winter, a bit silly. And anyway though it might feel warm in the sun,go into the shade and it's quite different, and very different once the sun goes down. And yes actually, that's how people catch chills. Hope your flippancy doesn't bite you in the ass some day. But that's your prerogative, I'm not going to presume to lecture you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

We really need more rain if we are to avoid another drought warning this summer.

There has been very little rainfall again this week and the week ahead looks fairly dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

acequion wrote: »
    How is it that some posts come across as a long defensive lecture?

Why are some posters so intolerant of another point of view that they're immediately up with a rebuttal of what is merely a statement of someone's opinion?

So what if some people don't like to hang out in their garden in early February? But again so what if some people do? The tone of some posts really is amazing.

But regarding how to dress, saying that we should just respond to nature regardless of the actual season is actually what is ludicrous. As any good doctor will confirm, dressing in summer wear too early has been the cause of many a good bout of pneumonia. So personally I prefer to wait until spring is well advanced before shedding my clothes. But again, not my problem if other people don't.

Will I now be attacked for expressing my views I wonder? Or maybe I can hope that readers here might actually go with the flow and accept differing opinions.

I accept differing opinions and respect yours. I just think it's ridiculous, that's all. I don't agree with you and reply to your posts. That's what a forum is for. If you don't want people to reply then why post in the first place? People don't have to agree with you, right?

Yes it's been several degrees milder than average, but for me that's been nice. You don't agree with that and that's fine, you're allowed not to. Horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Back to dank gloom in Cork, looks like it's here for the day too. Ah well, yesterday afternoon's sun was nice while it lasted.

I can't wait to see the back of this winter, it's up there with 2015/16 as one of worst I can remember. I'm grateful I managed to escape the misery for a few weeks in Jan!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We really need more rain if we are to avoid another drought warning this summer.

Yip...

In Dublin 16, only 28.3mm of rain in January and 23.4mm (so far) in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dull cloudy Sunday morning here in Castlebar. Nice and dry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hold the ponies. First of all, we are on for close to record breaking warmth for February or Winter as a hole, is that not interesting?

I do wonder how people can prefer cold to warmth in late February, thats all I posted.

The preschool comment is well below the standard for this forum, I expect more from a poster I respect around here.

Has the heat to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Don’t agree with the cold consensus leads to accusations of trolling.

• Advertisement

Really flogging a dead horse here at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Back to dank gloom in Cork, looks like it's here for the day too. Ah well, yesterday afternoon's sun was nice while it lasted.

I can't wait to see the back of this winter, it's up there with 2015/16 as one of worst I can remember. I'm grateful I managed to escape the misery for a few weeks in Jan!

Yup. Still mild though which is better then the cold wind we had during the week. Foggy still in my part too currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sitting in a sheltered corner of my garden now, mugga tae in hand and it's lovely. Some nice warmth in the sun away from the breeze. Still have the big jacket on, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its weird to think that sometimes we can barely get up to 16 degrees even in May with the sun blazing in the sky...yet we can in Febuary

Is there a reason that cork seems to be missing out on this weather spell? Besides yesterday afternoon it's just been thick cloud and average Feb temps of 9-11 degrees. Got to 15 yesterday but it's currently only 10 again where I am and the wind is getting colder again.

I'm assuming there's just a cloud bank that's circling over us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Is there a reason that cork seems to be missing out on this weather spell? Besides yesterday afternoon it's just been thick cloud and average Feb temps of 9-11 degrees. Got to 15 yesterday but it's currently only 10 again where I am and the wind is getting colder again.

I'm assuming there's just a cloud bank that's circling over us?

The southerly wind is dragging muck up to the south coast. The warm air going over the cool sea will create lots of cloud and fog. The same is happening in the south coast of England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yet again, another record in the UK (provisionally).

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1099657944365436930

Driving from west cork back to the city currently. Very dense fog.

I accept differing opinions and respect yours. I just think it's ridiculous, that's all. I don't agree with you and reply to your posts. That's what a forum is for. If you don't want people to reply then why post in the first place? People don't have to agree with you, right?

Yes it's been several degrees milder than average, but for me that's been nice. You don't agree with that and that's fine, you're allowed not to. Horses for courses.

Who cares whether you agree with me or not?

And actually your post is very contradictory because firstly you say you respect my opinion but then in the next sentence you say you think it's ridiculous. Is that your idea of respect? Posting to tell people that you think their perfectly valid opinions are ridiculous? If that's how you get your kicks then I pity you. And if you've got nothing better to do with your time, well it's a bit pathetic.

Like all forums here on Boards, people come on to express their views which often lead to very interesting discussions and debates. That's what I like about it. But unfortunately you have posters who just want to rubbish other people's views and they seem to think that its fine to do that. Well it's not. Out in the real world people are constantly saying and doing things that we don't agree with. But for the sake of courtesy and civility we don't rubbish them and often keep our mouths shut,unless its something really important.

It's a pity that courtesy and civility are very much lacking in some posters on this weather forum. But in fairness the majority of posters are great and post some really interesting stuff and as I said in an earlier post, are happy to live and let live.

• Advertisement

A beautiful day in Tralee.

Advertisement