Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Feels mild in cork city even though it's about 12 degrees. It's nice though. No breaks in the cloud yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭pauldry

All time UK Feb (and winter) high just got smashed. 20.3C and probably still rising.

Love a record but MT Dillon at 16c the warmestI see here. Sunshine too watery for record

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

All time UK Feb (and winter) high just got smashed. 20.3C and probably still rising.

and there we have it, confirmation from the Met Office. Crazy when you think about it, parts of Ireland struggle to reach that over an entire summer during poor summers.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1100017946498420738

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    Love a record but MT Dillon at 16c the warmestI see here. Sunshine too watery for record

no records in Ireland unfortunately. It's a fantastic day but most of the country is 14 or 15C, a long way off from beating our record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gonzo wrote: »
    and there we have it, confirmation from the Met Office. Crazy when you think about it, parts of Ireland struggle to reach that over an entire summer during poor summers.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1100017946498420738

What's the lowest maximum recorded in our Summer? I can't remember any where it didnt get above 20c, even the horrible ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

17.2c at Mt Dillon, no Irish record but still very good for February.

Meanwhile, England has also broken its February record with 20.1c. Only Northern Ireland hasn’t broken its February record out of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just cut the lawn here in Donegal, yes you heard that right, in February. Earliest ever I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Pangea wrote: »
    Just cut the lawn here in Donegal, yes you heard that right, in February. Earliest ever I think.
    Just hope your not cutting your grass in Wellington boots in the summer like I did back in 2012. In recent times early warmth has not boded well regarding the following summer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

[quote="Billcarson;109524778 In recent times early warmth has not boded well regarding the following summer's[/quote]

Indeed.
    No two years are the same. Just look at last Feb & March and this year. Same with winter 2010 & 2011 and summer 2012 & 2013.

I cannot remember two amazing consecutive summers in Ireland which is why I am not getting my hopes up for this summer.

Edit: summer 2013 & 2014 ( both good) might be the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks increasingly like we are going to get serious pay back first few weeks of March. Consistent signal for very active spell of zonality with very sharp thermal gradient across the NA. Few storms likely methinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

esposito wrote: »
    Indeed.
    No two years are the same. Just look at last Feb & March and this year. Same with winter 2010 & 2011 and summer 2012 & 2013.

I cannot remember two amazing consecutive summers in Ireland which is why I am not getting my hopes up for this summer.

1975 and 1976, in the UK at least. The weather in the previous year doesn't dictate what the weather will be like the following year so I personally don't think that should lower your expectations because last year was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

This day last year, I remember the sky was cloudless all day (I think people in the far south missed out on the nice weather like now??). Then on the 26th it turned cloudy and there was a bit of snizzle. Sunny today too, mild in the sun but whenever the sun went behind the clouds it felt chilly, especially with the breeze.

esposito wrote: »
    Indeed.

Summer 1975 and 1976. About as good as it gets for two back to back classic Summers.

Summer 1983 and 1984.

Summer 1989 and 1990 could be considered one BUT 1990 had a poor June and August was very dull in the west (but warm everywhere with a relatively notable warm/hot spell at the start for Ireland - record breaking for the UK (and Dublin).

Summer 1968 was cool but very sunny and 1969 was very sunny with relatively warm conditions.

Summer 1933 and 1934.

I don't think we will see such an occurrence myself though. The last cooler than average Summer was 2015 so I would think we're due a cool Summer going by that but ya never know with the weather.

I wouldn't put this in the same category as the above but Summer 1995 was followed by a reasonable Summer 1996 with a lovely June, mixed July (warm and dry but not overly sunny) whilst August was average.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    This day last year, I remember the sky was cloudless all day (I think people in the far south missed out on the nice weather like now??). Then on the 26th it turned cloudy and there was a bit of snizzle. Sunny today too, mild in the sun but whenever the sun went behind the clouds it felt chilly, especially with the breeze.

Indeed. 25th February 2018 broke records for Dublin Airport's sunniest February day on record with 10.0 hours - previous record was 9.8 hours on 28th February 2004. Was a real beauty of a day with a blue haze in the sky indicative of the continental air mass.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely sunset in Dublin 16. Must be a fair bit of Sahara dust around? High of 15.0c here today.

Hazy looking here in cork city but it's bitter out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flames visible on the Wicklow mountains :-O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hazy looking here in cork city but it's bitter out there now.

Bitter? It`s on the chilly side now that dusk is setting in but to state that it`s bitter is an exaggeration.

Bitter? It`s on the chilly side now that dusk is setting in but to state that it`s bitter is an exaggeration.

Well depends on the strength of the wind, it was blowing when I was out bringing in the clothes a while ago and was bitter. House is in a bit of a generally colder area as well anyway

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Indeed. 25th February 2018 broke records for Dublin Airport's sunniest February day on record with 10.0 hours - previous record was 9.8 hours on 28th February 2004. Was a real beauty of a day with a blue haze in the sky indicative of the continental air mass.

All true but we all remember what followed the sunny weather a few days later. No repeat of those conditions this year, at least not this week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Next to no sun in Galway today, low temperatures and a strong wind. So disappointed.

All true but we all remember what followed the sunny weather a few days later. No repeat of those conditions this year, at least not this week anyway.

Very extraordinary period of history it was. Still much prefer 2010 though.

17.2c at Mt Dillon, no Irish record but still very good for February.

Meanwhile, England has also broken its February record with 20.1c. Only Northern Ireland hasn’t broken its February record out of the UK.

17.3c actually.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1100106987705122816

How did Cork fare temperature wise today? It was very pleasant but I imagine that maximum temperatures were lower than those stations you posted about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 16.6C here near Tralee, getting big temperatures all week from those Southerlies, the Macgillycuddy Reeks and Slieve Mish Mountain Range helping to give a Fohn effect nudging up the temp that extra bit here .

Still 13.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

What's the lowest maximum recorded in our Summer? I can't remember any where it didnt get above 20c, even the horrible ones

That's a good question if anyone knows the answer. Can remember a few summers where it seemed like we never got in the 20s. Last year by contrast I remember Cork airport having 20+ consecutive days in the 20s up to 15 July and a few more immediately after also.

That's a good question if anyone knows the answer. Can remember a few summers where it seemed like we never got in the 20s. Last year by contrast I remember Cork airport having 20+ consecutive days in the 20s up to 15 July and a few more immediately after also.

Well, it would take a decent amount of research to answer this question with a fair amount of data and unfortunately right now (due to being back in school), my time is cut short along with all the other major projects I have set myself for and requests from some that I'm still working on.

In terms of Cork Airport, 20c or more was recorded 6 times from June to August 2011 (the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far) with a seasonal maximum of 21.5c - its lowest Summer maximum on record back to 1962. To compare this with 2012 (the infamously atrocious Summer), 20c or more was recorded only 3 times from June to August. 2018 in contrast recorded 20c or more 49 times from June to August.

In terms of Moore Park, 20c or more was recorded 10 times from June to August 2011, 13 times from June to August 2012 and to contrast, 56 times from June to August 2018.

Data from Met Éireann.
    How did Cork fare temperature wise today? It was very pleasant but I imagine that maximum temperatures were lower than those stations you posted about.

From synop reports:

Sherkin Island; 12.0c
    Cork Airport; 11.4c
    Roches Point; 11.1c

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Claremorris recorded it's all-time highest Feb minima of 11.5c yesterday. We have to go back as far as 1998 to see this station's next highest Feb min, which was 11.0c on February 12th that year.

Min here yesterday was 12.1c, which wouldn't be out of place in July or August.

Edit: Just to add, it also broke its highest all-time Feb maxima yesterday. 14.4c as opposed to the 13.8c recorded on Feb 27th, 1958.

Its max temp record for February has been shattered again today with a max of 16.5c!

Belmullet has also recorded its highest temperature for February on record with 15.6c beating the old record of 15.1c on 13th February 2008.

latest GFS and ECM look really unsettled and sometimes quite chilly. March is going to be a real shock to the system after this bizarre and extremely unseasonable February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Again Dublin was a cold spot overnight compared to the rest of the country...

Minima to 6 am.

-0.1 Dublin Airport
    0.5 Casement
    2.3 Mullingar
    2.5 Belfast Aldergrove
    3.5 Oak Park
    10.1 Malin Head
    10.2 Belmullet

Mullingar and Oak Park may have fallen below those figures between 6 and 7 am. Mount Dillon is a rounded 1 degree at 7 am.

Advertisement