Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last day of winter. Spring starts tomorrow.

What did I think of Winter 2018/2019?

Disappointing, pear shaped and mostly boring. February is an exception and I really enjoyed the month.

First ever winter I can remember with no snow, not even the poorest of dustings, I didn't see any snow fall either.

Barely any frost, saw frost about 5 times since November.

There was only 1 cold spell and that was zonal and delivered absolutely nothing other than a few bits of graupel and 3 nights of frost which were mostly gone by daylight.

I really disliked December, although it wasn't as bad as November. January is where it all started to go wrong and I didn't enjoy that month either. We had almost 3 months in a row with barely any sunshine.

February is a law to itself, by early February I knew winter was in the bin and the best we could hope for is mild and dry conditions. I had to get over the massive disappointment with the forecasts, predictions, models and realization winter wasn't happening this year.

February really delivered with sunshine, certainly helping to make up for the three dull months before it. The mild and extreme mild to warm conditions made the month far more bearable and quite enjoyable at times.

We experienced late Spring and early summer conditions in the space of the past week, really rare for February.

I don't think I've ever experienced a February quite like this one and it would be as rare as a perfect beast from the east in February to have another February as warm and settled as this one.

Here's to Winter 2019/2020, it can only be colder than this winter.

December 2018 - 0/10
    January 2019 - 1/10
    February 2019 - 7/10

February would have been close to 0/10 if it wasn't for all that sunshine throughout the month, the dryness and the extremely high temperatures making it feel like May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I suppose if you can't beat me join me
    Maisy Kelly's in Arklow during the beast last year

https://youtu.be/nLvbOJFDXbQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

December: 0/10
    January: 2/10
    February: 4/10 would be 0 if it wasn't for the exceptional sunshine and the overnight snow shower that nobody saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I suppose if you can't beat me join me
    Maisy Kelly's in Arklow during the beast last year

https://youtu.be/nLvbOJFDXbQ

Wow, that looks like the main street of a ski resort during a good dumping of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Great to see those pics,why on earth shouldn't people post weather related pics!

Thanks for posting m17 and pad199207.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    Great to see those pics,why on earth shouldn't people post weather related pics!

Thanks for posting m17.:)

There is no issue with people posting pics. It's where they are posted to that is an issue. Putting them here in the general discussion thread for the 2018/2019 winter season just causes lint and is off-topic. Photographs/videos from past events should be posted in the weather pictures section - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=976

A new thread could be created there to reminisce but better still, there is already a dedicated thread in the weather pictures section - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057845112 - The "Beast From The East" Photos. February / March 2018 - This thread is, by far, the most relevant place to put up photos from last years snow event. Makes way more sense for any more photos to be added here. One great reason is for finding these photos all in the one place in future years instead of having them scattered over several completely unrelated threads.

There's a reason why certain things are permitted in different threads.....consistency and the ability to find what you are looking for quite easily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My ratings for Winter 2018-19

December - 1/10
    January - 4/10
    February - 9/10 (best February of my life)

Overall it was average but only because of February. One to forget otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

For me in Cork City:
    December 2/10 (grey skies most of the month)
    January 4/10
    Feb 4/10 (only saving grace is the snow at the start. Otherwise it's been grey skies, dull and misting)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Twitter is full of this,all competing for likes
    I've put them all on mute for a month
    Boring

You must have half the accounts in Ireland muted so because nearly everyone on it is sharing pics from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Centra have 50c off bread to celebrate Storm Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lucreto wrote: »
    Centra have 50c off bread to celebrate Storm Emma.

Ya serious? :’-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    You must have half the accounts in Ireland muted so because nearly everyone on it is sharing pics from last year.

Depends on who you're following;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 28/02/19 18.05 temperature 9°C
    saFdJiY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Will there be a spring thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will there be a spring thread?

Yes indeed Clonmel1000, looking forward to the Spring now with the new growth coming on and the evenings and mornings getting brighter.

Fire away and start a new thread for tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

East Cork

Dec 1/10 - Terrible
    Jan 3/10 - Decent snowfall one evening, otherwise very boring
    Feb 3/10 - Barely felt like winter but wasn't much of the enjoyable spring weather down here with endless grey skies and temps in the low double digits

It seems to be difficult these days to get a good December

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

For me in Cork City:
    December 2/10 (grey skies most of the month)
    January 4/10
    Feb 4/10 (only saving grace is the snow at the start. Otherwise it's been grey skies, dull and misting)
    MidMan25 wrote: »
    East Cork

Dec 1/10 - Terrible
    Jan 3/10 - Decent snowfall one evening, otherwise very boring
    Feb 3/10 - Barely felt like winter but wasn't much of the enjoyable spring weather down here with endless grey skies and temps in the low double digits

It seems to be difficult these days to get a good December

Yeah I would largely agree with both of you. The one cold wintry week we had at the end of Jan/start of Feb was the only really notable feature of an other wise forgettable winter. Even this last week we only really had one and a half really sunny days and only average temperatures well below what many other parts of the country were experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My ratings for Winter 2018/2019.

December: 0/10. So crap I can't even remember it.
    January: 0/10. Memorably unmemorable.
    February: 0.5/10. One nice blue sky, Alpinesque morning earlier in the month, and a nice dry, hazy summery couple of days towards the end. Otherwise, pure poison.

Winter 18-19, you are unworthy of mercy.

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Bye bye to the nicest winter I've lived through.

Dec 8/10

Jan 5/10

Feb 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bye bye to the nicest winter I've lived through.

Snap

With a provisional Winter mean temperature of 9.1c at Valentia Observatory, this makes Winter 2018/19 the mildest Winter on record at the station with records back to 1892.

Dec : 10.0c
    Jan : 8.2c
    Feb : 9.2c

Previous record mildest was 2007-08 with a mean of 8.9c, 2011-12 up second at 8.8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Tralee: Good riddance to an uncomfortably mild, soggy winter!

December: 0/10. Constant rain put a damper on xmas shopping and constant mild was unseasonal. The holiday season did have some nice weather with the high pressure but just too unseasonal for me. I like my winters to be winters.

January: 6/10. Much better. About two weeks of normal temps and normal winter fare. Nice and cosy.

February: 4/10. Again much too mild and unseasonal, but mitigated by a good deal of dry weather and some lovely sunshine.

Overall: A winter to forget. Let's hope we get a summer to remember!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Didn't get my fix at home this winter so had to travel for it. Lovely afternoon here in the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Didn't get my fix at home this winter so had to travel for it. Lovely afternoon here in the Alps.

Is it slushy with all the warm temps? I was there a month ago and it was heavenly.

2018-19 was the mildest Winter on record (back to 1855) at Phoenix Park, Dublin.

Mean temps with anomalies from 1981-2010 average in brackets:

Dec; 8.0c (+2.7)
    Jan; 5.7c (+0.8)
    Feb; 7.7c (+2.5)

Winter; 7.1c (+2.0)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Same! I am in Austria and the skiing is fabulous. Lovely fresh snow today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I really like cold snowy winters but i enjoyed this one too. It was good in another sense. A winter that's over before you know it is a great winter if you're a fan of longer evenings and earlier mornings. This winter was so benign it literally felt like there was no winter, and in many respects there was no winter:)

Beasts from the east, 2010 etc happen roughly once a decade. 2009/10 and 2010/11 were too very cold winters following each other. But it's relatively rare. So the odds were stacked against this one. But it wasn't very wet like 2015/2016 so it didn't drag and feel like endless wind and rain either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Marengo wrote: »
    . But it's relatively rare. So the odds were stacked against this one. But it wasn't very wet like 2015/2016 so it didn't drag and feel like endless wind and rain either.

There are still signs of wintry type weather in the coming weeks so there may well be feelings of winter like weather returning.....fingers crossed it does not materialise!

Advertisement