Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

God bless you all. May the storms calm and ice melt quickly in 2019. Sleep well.

May the ice melt slowly ⛄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blessings and thanks for all the greetings; was exhausted last afternoon so missed them

HAPPY SAINT STEPHEN'S DAY!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

enjoying the bland dry conditions, certainly is a break from all the rain.

Looks like the high pressure will be around till about 2nd January, then an increasingly unsettled cold zonal Atlantic pattern looks like setting up with low pressures making their way from northern Canada and Greenland towards us, with the jet stream possibly running to our south.

This will certainly make things colder for us than it is right now, some wintry precipitation could happen under this set up, particularly over high ground. This cold north Atlantic set up is in FI and suggests that this pattern could last into mid January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    enjoying the bland dry conditions, certainly is a break from all the rain.

Looks like the high pressure will be around till about 2nd January, then an increasingly unsettled cold zonal Atlantic pattern looks like setting up with low pressures making their way from northern Canada and Greenland towards us, with the jet stream possibly running to our south.

This will certainly make things colder for us than it is right now, some wintry precipitation could happen under this set up, particularly over high ground. This cold north Atlantic set up is in FI and suggests that this pattern could last into mid January.

I’d take the cold zonal North Westerlies as long as an Easterly or NE follows after that.

I am also enjoying the dry, bland conditions. Great walking weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It's wet cloudy conditions here in cork, certainly not dry unfortunately . Warm though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It's wet cloudy conditions here in cork, certainly not dry unfortunately . Warm though

Hear hear. Awful weather here in the south. Permanent wet mist / light drizzle since Christmas eve after three weeks of Atlantic depressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Hoping for some cold dry days soon. But thankfully the storms gave passed. :) Happy St. Stephen's day everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ireland once again generally the warmest country in Europe tonight with temperatures close to or at double figures almost nationwide.

Most of Europe is now close to freezing or subzero. Greece in particularly cold with sub-zero in most parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ireland once again generally the warmest country in Europe tonight with temperatures close to or at double figures almost nationwide.

Most of Europe is now close to freezing or subzero. Greece in particularly cold with sub-zero in most parts.

While generally a bit cooler, most of Poland, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Spain and Portugal to mention a few are above freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This sums up the current state of play quite nicely.

https://twitter.com/metz_chance/status/1078069455605899271

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Isn't that normal in Winter though, we are basically the mildest place on the planet at our latitude in Winter and coolest in summer. Sums up the complete lack of temperature extremes that sadly define our boring weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

kod87 wrote: »
    Isn't that normal in Winter though, we are basically the mildest place on the planet at our latitude in Winter and coolest in summer. Sums up the complete lack of temperature extremes that sadly define our boring weather.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that countries that are much further south of us (eg Spain & Greece) easily get colder than we do. For our latitude we should be getting colder winters but unfortunately the Atlantic influence beside us spoils things most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We are on an island surrounded by waters warmed by the Gulf Stream.
    We are not part of a large land mass which is why Spain, Greece etc get more snow than us, plus we have no really high mountains.

Not light out yet but blissfully peaceful just now... west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Took a break from watching the models for a week, and nothing really has changed in the outlook. A hint of North Atlantic amplification in the ECM but it collapses very quickly due to that old ‘too much energy over southern Greenland’ scenario, heralding in another period of wet and windy from the northwest. We are past the solstice and if I were a betting man I would not put money on epic cold in January, SSW or no SSW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Damp, damp, still damp. Fed up with this past few months of weather! I'm not writing off the winter as nobody knows what's going to happen, but it's quite ironic that a winter that promised much since November has been one of the worst to this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Damp, damp, still damp. Fed up with this past few months of weather! I'm not writing off the winter as nobody knows what's going to happen, but it's quite ironic that a winter that promised much since November has been one of the worst to this point.

Yeah after a year full of excitement it ends up with huge disappointment. Look I suppose we can’t have it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

It's only been nearly a month in the winter season, i wouldn't be relying on models past 4-5 days especially we expected a ssw event, watch out for flip flop charts come new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Stav Danaos of BBC weather this morning on radio 4 said they are watching development in the stratosphere which could bring conditions like mid Feb march 2018 back for the 2nd half of Jan 19 and all of February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

The weather the last few days have been amazing - dry, bright and mild.
    Usually mild in December only means one thing in Galway - rain.

I hope this weather lasts until we go back to work but after that I expect some serious ramping on this thread.
    I don't care how you do it or even if you have to make stuff up - just ramp the hell out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Quite thick fog lingering around Castlebar today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MidMan25 wrote: »
    but it's quite ironic that a winter that promised much since November has been one of the worst to this point.

Even though it has gone nearly exactly as I and some models (including ECM) thought it would. If you were thinking cold and snow in the front part of the Winter, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Totally still and silent out here... sleepy weather, or maybe just post-Christmas ;) Finally lit the fire for the sake of it but milder than ever . No harm in the day it is, not an iota of harm.. west mayo offshore

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Even though it has gone nearly exactly as I and some models (including ECM) thought it would. If you were thinking cold and snow in the front part of the Winter, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

I wasn't thinking anything, I was just hoping for some decent weather. Even in a mild winter you'd expect a few spells of cool dry and sunny days. We've had two days without measurable precipitation since October. It's turning me into Clonmel :pac: thank god i'm heading to Canada in a few weeks for a proper fix of cold and snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It was great been able to see the kids around my house play outside on their new bikes the last few days instead of been stuck indoors.
    Really not sure why people have an issue with this weather:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Took a break from watching the models for a week, and nothing really has changed in the outlook. A hint of North Atlantic amplification in the ECM but it collapses very quickly due to that old ‘too much energy over southern Greenland’ scenario, heralding in another period of wet and windy from the northwest. We are past the solstice and if I were a betting man I would not put money on epic cold in January, SSW or no SSW

I suspect you would have been doing the same thing last February.
    You know well that it takes two to three weeks for the effects of the SSW to trickle down into the troposphere. Models will play around with various scenarios in the mean time.
    I will see your bet and raise it that we get a decent cold spell around mid- January:)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

I just mowed all the lawns in a T-shirt, sowed primroses and I’m sweating. Absolutely beautiful weather. It’s a mild spring day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet, damp and not that mild here in cork. Wouldn't say beautiful. Still grey skies we aren't getting any of the nice weather down here :(

It was great been able to see the kids around my house play outside on their new bikes the last few days instead of been stuck indoors.
    Really not sure why people have an issue with this weather:confused::confused:

It's almost as if the weather isn't the same everywhere....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

vladmydad wrote: »
    I just mowed all the lawns in a T-shirt, sowed primroses and I’m sweating. Absolutely beautiful weather. It’s a mild spring day.

Yeah Palm Trees are shooting out new fronds here. Grass needs cutting too.

These palm trees aren’t your typical cordlyines either, they are the proper Phoenix Palms. Really is quite incredible for them to be growing in the depths of winter in Ireland.

Advertisement