Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It was great been able to see the kids around my house play outside on their new bikes the last few days instead of been stuck indoors.
    Really not sure why people have an issue with this weather:confused::confused:

I'll take this over incessant rain but I'd rather have cold weather in winter ie. the season when it isn't supposed to be this mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

pad199207 wrote: »
    vladmydad wrote: »
    I just mowed all the lawns in a T-shirt, sowed primroses and I’m sweating. Absolutely beautiful weather. It’s a mild spring day.

Yeah Palm Trees are shooting out new fronds here. Grass needs cutting too.

These palm trees aren’t your typical cordlyines either, they are the proper Phoenix Palms. Really is quite incredible for them to be growing in the depths of winter in Ireland.

That sounds beautiful. Coincidentally I was thinking of getting a large established palm tree for the front lawn. I love that look. But would it survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's almost as if the weather isn't the same everywhere....

It’s almost like some people are never happy, no matter what the weather is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

It was great been able to see the kids around my house play outside on their new bikes the last few days instead of been stuck indoors.
    Really not sure why people have an issue with this weather:confused::confused:
    Ideal weather for me
    Nice to be able to do some outdoor chores whilst I have the time off to do it
    Young lad spinning around on the go kart
    Didn’t even need to light a fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Wet, damp and not that mild here in cork. Wouldn't say beautiful. Still grey skies we aren't getting any of the nice weather down here :(

Yes. I can`t remember when I last saw any sunshine or blue skies. Actually there were about three hours of clear skies last Friday but that's all I can recall for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's almost as if the weather isn't the same everywhere....

It’s almost like some people are never happy, no matter what the weather is.

I'm not one of those people. I'm happy as long as it's dry, seasonal temperatures, and the sky isnt a blanket of grey. Heck two out of three would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Documentary about Britain's deadly storms (during 2012 I think) on more 4 ATM if anybody is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just loved the stillness and silence of the past few nights. Walking the dog around midnight, no rain, zero wind, mild enough, some moonlight despite the cloud. No sound of distant traffic, despite being in a relatively large town. Had the nights been clear and frosty the inversion would have carried noise from far away. The best Christmas weather for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I saw a load of daffodils growing today. The flower buds were well up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's like someone switched the weather status to off tbh. Little sunlight, no cold, no wind, mizly rain ....

Why do I get the feeling this is a lull before a proverbial storm type situation.

Old style barometer here has started to move towards change...

• Advertisement

Stink here in West Mayo at the minute. A band of quite heavy rain has moved in from the Atlantic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day here in Kerry just gone by. Blue skies for much of it and got up to 12.9C and currently 11.4C with the breeze picking up a bit now. Noticing too that the grass is growing a fair bit. Enjoyed being outdoors for much of the day tending to winter jobs in the garden, will make the most of it over the Christmas break as the benign weather set to continue for quite a few days to come for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ve had a few pleasant days here down the country in Waterford and Tipperary. Good walking weather - far preferable to the last few weeks of storm after storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like it’s going to be only 2 air frosts here for November AND December. Lowest was -1.7c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks like it’s going to be only 2 air frosts here for November AND December. Lowest was -1.7c

I think I've only seen one frost so far, none in November and one I think on December 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully quiet out here. Fair fine weather. As others have said, mild enough not to need a fire lit and saving precious fuel...

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think I've only seen one frost so far, none in November and one I think on December 1st.

I find it amusing how October had more frost than November and December. Some parts of England probably had more snow in October than December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Had more thunder and lightning in November than June and July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

Regarding the latest in the models:
    GFS consistent with an Atlantic attack, ECM consistent with colder outbreak from the East. They are both very different even at 120 hours.
    Usually I would say ECM would be correct but knowing our luck the GFS will be correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Models are only useful for 4 or 5 days no more untill we see what the strat heating does to the trop
    2 well known met tweeters Chris Falkes and Liam Dutton are emphasising a study (linked by Syran over in the strat thread) stating only 57% of strat warmings influence the trop
    Only ??
    It's fine to point that out but inferences or suggestions from that of no influence this time are just as liable if not 7% more liable to be wrong than 50:50 versus suggesting cold

That's why most of us use the word may
    I'm expecting to change that to probably soon

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Models are only useful for 4 or 5 days no more untill we see what the strat heating does to the trop
    2 well known met tweeters Chris Falkes and Liam Dutton are emphasising a study (linked by Syran over in the strat thread) stating only 57% of strat warmings influence the trop
    Only ??
    It's fine to point that out but inferences or suggestions from that of no influence this time are just as liable if not 7% more liable to be wrong than 50:50 versus suggesting cold

That's why most of us use the word may
    I'm expecting to change that to probably soon

I'm ignoring the GFS completely... it is ignoring it's own data. The GFS predicts the MJO to be possibly record breaking high amplitude at phase 7 which I think means there should be blocking but the GFS runs seem very zonal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'm ignoring the GFS completely... it is ignoring it's own data. The GFS predicts the MJO to be possibly record breaking high amplitude at phase 7 which I think means there should be blocking but the GFS runs seem very zonal.

I think I'm going to take a break from looking at the charts too till after New Year's Day, the more I look at them, the more we seem away from a decent easterly cold spell than ever. Going to spend the next 3 days with family Christmas time, then hopefully some promising signals into the 1st week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057940797/9

Major debate on how seasons are defined. Would love if some defined winter on that forum.

I understand astrological winter 21 Dec to 21 Mar etc but a lot having trouble with meterological winter. Dec, Jan, Feb.

I know i've mentioned this quite a few times over the past 2 weeks, but Ireland is clearly the warmest country in Europe tonight by quite a margin.

Looking at the temperature profile on meteociel and Ireland is in the deep yellow colours, while the rest of Europe including the UK is in green, blue or faint yellow along the Spanish Coastline fringes.

Even north Africa is mostly green with shades of blue and shades of light green. The only other places with the same colour profile as Ireland are Egypt and the northern fringes of the Sahara desert which are almost off the southern end of the chart, making us warmer tonight than much of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia and western Libya.

Will be interesting to see how much milder than normal this December has been in Ireland. Even compared to the UK we have generally had a much milder December with no frosts or cold air, and their December is even 2 degrees above the December average.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I can believe it, it's currently 12.4C in Castlebar, since Christmas Day the temperature after midnight has actually been warmer than during the daylight hours.

Xenji wrote: »
    I can believe it, it's currently 12.4C in Castlebar, since Christmas Day the temperature after midnight has actually been warmer than during the daylight hours.

yep, temperatures between 11 and 13C nationwide after 2am, 2 days before 1st January. We often struggle to get these temperatures at night time during the height of summer, goes to show how mild this Winter has been so far.

This winter is still forecast to be cooler than average, we are going to need a cool January and cold February for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It's actually turned quite gusty in Castlebar since 02.00, max gust of 82 km/hr from wsw, really came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xenji wrote: »
    It's actually turned quite gusty in Castlebar since 02.00, max gust of 82 km/hr from wsw, really came out of nowhere.

Yes we got that gusty session out here too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Gonzo wrote: »
    I know i've mentioned this quite a few times over the past 2 weeks, but Ireland is clearly the warmest country in Europe tonight by quite a margin.

Looking at the temperature profile on meteociel and Ireland is in the deep yellow colours, while the rest of Europe including the UK is in green, blue or faint yellow along the Spanish Coastline fringes.

Even north Africa is mostly green with shades of blue and shades of light green. The only other places with the same colour profile as Ireland are Egypt and the northern fringes of the Sahara desert which are almost off the southern end of the chart, making us warmer tonight than much of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia and western Libya.

Will be interesting to see how much milder than normal this December has been in Ireland. Even compared to the UK we have generally had a much milder December with no frosts or cold air, and their December is even 2 degrees above the December average.

It's really depressing to read that. I only recorded 2 days of frost since the start of November and neither are severe. Hopefully the New Year will bring some decent cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

This weather is fairly normal I think. We always get a run of mild nights at some point in the winter. To be honest can't remember any winter been that cold in the last while.( except for short cold spells) . a few years back had 18 degrees at 1 am around new years eve.

Advertisement