Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

All it would take would be a few seconds at the start of their TV broadcast distancing themselves from such articles. Well worth it imo.

While I appreciate the issue it certainly will not be addressed that way.

in no particular order;

1. there is a team of TV Broadcast Meteorologists and also for radio, so you could not have Evelyn, off both now, or Jean being the only ones refuting.

2.I'm pretty sure RTE would not allow other media to be challenged on the broadcasts, even if ME wanted to do so.

3. I suspect there would be a strong reaction from other media, another reason for 2.

4. Who do you refute? How do you monitor? ME foreast operations have more than enough to do without adding monitoring of the media.

5. Given themultiple and varied sources of weather information it simply is not realistic to be challengingsuch articles.

I think ME policy is simply to ignore such events unless there is a truly outrageous forecast that blatantly contradicts a high level weather warning. Then Evelyn might deal with it in the context of Cross Departmental Group that convenes for severe events.

There is however one route that could be tried, and has been in years gone by as far as I understand; when any media are seeking comment from the Forecast Office and have either misrepresented previous comments or used other sources for patently wrong/contradictory forecasts and the Forecaster is aware of this, s/he can raise the issue with a caveat that they will not provide comment in future if they are misquoted or contradictory/misleading information is broadcast again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have blue skies and sunshine here near Tralee, in the garden all morning. 12.3C and a Rh 75% , ideal for cutting the grass which is growing like mad here. Smell of cut grass and the sunshine making it feel like Spring ! All the windows open in the house .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Have blue skies and sunshine here near Tralee, in the garden all morning. 12.3C and a Rh 75% , ideal for cutting the grass which is growing like mad here. Smell of cut grass and the sunshine making it feel like Spring ! All the windows open in the house .

And people complaining about it. Remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

And people complaining about it. Remarkable.

Call me mad but It’s not very seasonal is it?

I’d much prefer high pressure from the east. Crisp cold and bright weather. Not grey and mild.

Call me mad but It’s not very seasonal is it?

I’d much prefer high pressure from the east. Crisp cold and bright weather. Not grey and mild.

When it comes to heating bills, stress free commute, the ability to be out and about comfortable etc I’ll take it any day. Seasonal is something for hallmark Coca Cola etc to make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When it comes to heating bills, stress free commute, the ability to be out and about comfortable etc I’ll take it any day. Seasonal is something for hallmark Coca Cola etc to make up.

Let’s agree to disagree. I found the weather over Christmas to be completely and utterly bland.

Give me crisp frosty mornings and clear bright days over it any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

5.5 hours of sunshine since the 23rd in Dublin. Basically none today. Give me something colder and sunnier any day over this mild misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Let's hope we don't pay for this spring like weather in March-April!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah come on Clonmel you're the very one that gives out to people who don't appreciate your love of heat in the summer! Ironically I'd be one of your biggest allies then, whereas now I couldn't disagree with you more. Just goes to prove the old adage of different strokes for different folks and each to his own.

While there are undoubtedly advantages to this weather and the break from the rain is marvellous, and yes my neighbour in this neck of the woods Meteorite58, is spot on that today is gorgeous in Tralee with the bright sunny skies, I just don't like the idea of being able to work in the garden and having all the windows open on New Year's Eve. Just as I hate temps of say 18 degrees in July. I'm a real seasonal junkie and I love seasonal weather. I find it's better for my mood and that's just how I am, again each to his own. But weather is something we've no control over which is what makes it hugely controversial,I guess.

But let's live and let live on this beautiful last day of 2018.:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lucky to get the sunshine here in kerry I see going by the Sat pic from earlier.

Windows shut now :pac:

Top temp of 12.4C

NASA

ZWVeKB0.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I noticed alright on the satellite images that East Coast of wicklow was getting some clear skies thanks to the mountains.. Could see it from North Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I have to admit, I do not like mild weather in winter but as others have said, it is nice to get out and about without being soaked, it's nice to have dry weather after all this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Out in north west Mayo on a New Year Getaway, windier than inland but a crisp and fresher feel to it also! Happy New Year to all on the weather forum, hope 2019 brings plenty of exciting weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

One heck of an Icy north easterly on the GFS pub run tonight for Jan 16th
    A little taste maybe of the Strat response options post Jan 13th that may increasingly come on offer?
    Happy New year folks

a8081bb73c60099163217b89b5e8fa62.jpg

Deedsie wrote: »
    Give me bland mild weather over dangerous icy roads any day. Took my family to the beach today. West Clare looking beautiful this New Years Eve. I like it cool and crisp aswell but i dread icy roads. So put me in the happy with the mild spell camp. Last winter was hellish

You won’t get many likes for a post like that but well said.

acequion wrote: »
    Ah come on Clonmel you're the very one that gives out to people who don't appreciate your love of heat in the summer! Ironically I'd be one of your biggest allies then, whereas now I couldn't disagree with you more. Just goes to prove the old adage of different strokes for different folks and each to his own.

While there are undoubtedly advantages to this weather and the break from the rain is marvellous, and yes my neighbour in this neck of the woods Meteorite58, is spot on that today is gorgeous in Tralee with the bright sunny skies, I just don't like the idea of being able to work in the garden and having all the windows open on New Year's Eve. Just as I hate temps of say 18 degrees in July. I'm a real seasonal junkie and I love seasonal weather. I find it's better for my mood and that's just how I am, again each to his own. But weather is something we've no control over which is what makes it hugely controversial,I guess.

But let's live and let live on this beautiful last day of 2018.:pac:

I’d love if it was sunny and bright too don’t get me wrong but what’s being looked for here by a lot is some kind of repeat of last March freezing cold, snow, ice and travel chaos. Thanks but no thanks I’d rather today’s bland weather anyway. Happy new year and here’s to a warm hot summer ☀️

Happy New Year to all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

I’d love if it was sunny and bright too don’t get me wrong but what’s being looked for here by a lot is some kind of repeat of last March freezing cold, snow, ice and travel chaos. Thanks but no thanks I’d rather today’s bland weather anyway. Happy new year and here’s to a warm hot summer ☀️

There's a heck of a difference between an unseasonal winter 13 degrees and icy travel chaos, so why do you assume that people not liking the former automatically want the latter? When we bemoan 18 degrees in July it doesn't mean we want 40!

Personally I'd love about 7 degrees. Now I could cope with a lot less but I know the country couldn't,so I'd settle for 7 or 8. And I'd settle for 23 ish in the summer. But we don't get that much leeway, usually nowhere near. As I always tell foreign friends, Kerry [won't speak for the rest of the country] very rarely goes beyond 10-20 year round. Yuck! :(

I think cold lovers like myself just want a bit of seasonal weather. Just the sensation of chill when you open the front door. The luxury of wearing woolens without sweating, the luxury of warming your hands to a roaring fire,the luxury of eating a hearty winter dinner, the luxury of snuggling into a cosy bed without having to kick out the duvet and all else you might have in the bed with you :D

And tis that frosty feeling that has you appreciating the mildness of spring and the warmth of summer.

People complain that they hate facing into winter without having had a summer. Well I feel the reverse. I feel cheated that we didn't get a winter and am not looking forward to a default 13 degrees for the rest of the year.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we see some interesting weather variations in 2019 without any chaos or danger for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carol25 wrote: »
    Out in north west Mayo on a New Year Getaway, windier than inland but a crisp and fresher feel to it also! Happy New Year to all on the weather forum, hope 2019 brings plenty of exciting weather!

Where are you? Sounds nearby to me.!

acequion wrote: »
    There's a heck of a difference between an unseasonal winter 13 degrees and icy travel chaos, so why do you assume that people not liking the former automatically want the latter? When we bemoan 18 degrees in July it doesn't mean we want 40!

Personally I'd love about 7 degrees. Now I could cope with a lot less but I know the country couldn't,so I'd settle for 7 or 8. And I'd settle for 23 ish in the summer. But we don't get that much leeway, usually nowhere near. As I always tell foreign friends, Kerry [won't speak for the rest of the country] very rarely goes beyond 10-20 year round. Yuck! :(

I think cold lovers like myself just want a bit of seasonal weather. Just the sensation of chill when you open the front door. The luxury of wearing woolens without sweating, the luxury of warming your hands to a roaring fire,the luxury of eating a hearty winter dinner, the luxury of snuggling into a cosy bed without having to kick out the duvet and all else you might have in the bed with you :D

And tis that frosty feeling that has you appreciating the mildness of spring and the warmth of summer.

People complain that they hate facing into winter without having had a summer. Well I feel the reverse. I feel cheated that we didn't get a winter and am not looking forward to a default 13 degrees for the rest of the year.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we see some interesting weather variations in 2019 without any chaos or danger for anyone.

I don’t assume it I see it in people
    Posts. Have a read through this thread and others there’s a substantial amount of posters that won’t be happy unless there’s some sort of snowmageddon affecting the country. I’m not saying i wouldn’t like cold dry weather at over dull gloomy weather all I’m doing is putting forward a counter argument that the weather we’ve had lately whilst not ideal could be worse. People could get out and about, travel safely etc. the wind and rain of the last 2 months was tough going.

• Advertisement

I don’t assume it I see it in people
    Posts. Have a read through this thread and others there’s a substantial amount of posters that won’t be happy unless there’s some sort of snowmageddon affecting the country. I’m not saying i wouldn’t like cold dry weather at over dull gloomy weather all I’m doing is putting forward a counter argument that the weather we’ve had lately whilst not ideal could be worse. People could get out and about, travel safely etc. the wind and rain of the last 2 months was tough going.

amen to this. Thank you. It is and had been a lovely restful time weather wise. There was more than enough drama with gales and storms...

Just back from a peaceful amble down the lane admiring the calm ocean.. yesterday I even managed a little gardening. Just sheer bliss...

And no need for fires or heating.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Nice day in Cork. The dryness is so welcome after November and most of December. Even though it's cloudy it's not gloomy as such, clouds are at a reasonable height. It's unbelievablely still as well, I was down at the sea earlier and there wasn't a ripple.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Graces7 wrote: »
    amen to this. Thank you. It is and had been a lovely restful time weather wise. There was more than enough drama with gales and storms...

Just back from a peaceful amble down the lane admiring the calm ocean.. yesterday I even managed a little gardening. Just sheer bliss...

And no need for fires or heating.....

I respect your opinion and I understand people noth wanting extreme weather, however some cold weather would really makes a lot of people including me way happier and it would remove the gloominess out of the winter that has burdened it so far. While some may want snowmageddon, I certainly do not. A simple 2°c and clear skies would be fantastic, even if only for two weeks of the Winter. Anyway, that's my piece, have a happy and healthy new year.

The dry grey gloominess in winter is my least favourite type of Irish weather.

Rain is nourishing for the land.
    Snow makes us all feel like kids again.
    Storms can be exciting and scary.
    Sunshine is revitalising and positive.

This grey though. It literally gives me headaches, and even if you aren't prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder, I still feel like it depresses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

This gloomy weather will soon give away to some frosty nights and very dense fog which will keep temps down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

MJohnston wrote: »

This grey though. It literally gives me headaches, and even if you aren't prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder, I still feel like it depresses me.

Rainy days are greyer. However despite that in general I agree. Here in Dublin we don’t get that much rain. 28 inches a year is unremarkable. Low even. It’s way down the list of most US cities. We are much gloomier though.

However, even though this weather is fine for walking which I like a lot, the gloominess is horrible. The only reason I prefer cold in winter is because of the brightness, not the cold itself. Frosts are lovely too, to look at. Snow is ok in moderation.

Rainy days are greyer. However despite that in general I agree. Here in Dublin we don’t get that much rain. 28 inches a year is unremarkable. Low even. It’s way down the list of most US cities. We are much gloomier though.

However, even though this weather is fine for walking which I like a lot, the gloominess is horrible. The only reason I prefer cold in winter is because of the brightness, not the cold itself. Frosts are lovely too, to look at. Snow is ok in moderation.

Yeah, I mean rainy days are almost by definition greyer, but at least with those, I can find a silver lining (there's a great short documentary series called "Explained" on Netflix with an episode that covers the water crisis, and it makes me very glad to live in a country with frequent rainfall).

As you say, the best thing about really cold winter days is not the coldness, it's that it more often than not means it's a bright and sunny day. For me that's especially important at the time of year when the sun is only out for a short period of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I don't mind if it's grey and dry,I hate the damp misty just seems to seep into my joints and bones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A brighter day here to start 2019. Patches of blue sky and the low winter sun is trying its best to make an appearance.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »

You are you and I am me! Says it all! Blessings and peace.. and I am loving this while... deep silence

Advertisement