Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This is incorrect, being a nice bunch it's mostly to stop your coughing infecting others, this is where they are effective, not so effective at protecting the wearer

source : once watched the karate Kid Part 2

Common miss belief it's to stop the spread of infection ect.
    It's to stop been infected and main reason originally was to stop inhalation of air born contaminates and air pollution,in city and urban areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So... how about this weather we're having...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

ZX7R wrote: »
    Common miss belief it's to stop the spread of infection ect.
    It's to stop been infected and main reason originally was to stop inhalation of air born contaminates and air pollution,in city and urban areas.

No this is incorrect, you'll have to get onto your friends wife

The main reason is to stop spreading infection

They just don't like taking sick days

Spent plenty of Time in Japan

They are pretty useless at stopping you inhaling fumes, germs pollen etc

They are good at stopping you say sneezing into an open wound, which is why they also use them in surgery etc

You only see the odd person wearing them in Japan, they are pretty much always under the weather

Check it our yourself online

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Nice Upgrade.

Cold weather incoming.:eek:

10znwjb.png

67ml3t.png

Frosty Next week for sure.
    mjn1mo.png

9hualt.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is there another ‘Beast from the East’ on the way? ask the UK Met Office in their latest blog.

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2019/01/03/is-there-another-beast-from-the-east-on-the-way/
    Maybe, maybe not...

• Advertisement

No this is incorrect, you'll have to get onto your friends wife

The main reason is to stop spreading infection

They just don't like taking sick days

Spent plenty of Time in Japan

They are pretty useless at stopping you inhaling fumes, germs pollen etc

They are good at stopping you say sneezing into an open wound, which is why they also use them in surgery etc

You only see the odd person wearing them in Japan, they are pretty much always under the weather

Check it our yourself online

F.f.s
    I did and I believe that your wrong.
    Now Back to the Weather , some snow showing up around the 12 day mark mostly for the north

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

https://youtu.be/IWWwM2wwMww

Can't get this out of my head now :)

Ironically by 'The Vapors'!!

Back to the weather. Amazing model change in a day. GFS etc had a meandering Bartlett High out to day 16 yesterday. Now nothing of major significance yet but the cold will move into Europe and building blocks in place post 15th January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Up to yesterday, Cork Airport has recorded 11 consecutive days without sun, and totals not much better around the rest of the country. The Dublin region and Malin Hd seem to be fairing best, relatively speaking.

New Moon

My wife's city in Poland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

12z gfs shifts the hp Southward so cold air not hanging around for too long unlike South East of uk. Lots of flip flops to go a slight shift of the blocking could see us under a mild or cold air flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This is the 12z GFS for less than 6 days away
    It is unlikely in my opinion to be strat related but it would be a wintry northeasterly in the East

17c49561990abf9a77476ebaac1288fb.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

6/7 days is still a good while off and changes will happen. Hopefully the cold and some snow showers will make it this far west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who has got the sun? Could you please bring it back? :(

Hope we don't get an SSW that details a cold spell.. That has happened hasn't it? Not the Feb 2012 one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Your 100% correct. The models will start to take into account the SSW. Its going to get emotional with the big swings in the output.

This Sundays farming forecast and the one after will be classics. ;)

I really hope it doesn't get emotional as it has been in the past. The amount of argument a few flakes of frozen water can cause is bizarre.

I wouldn`t jump on that rollercoaster just yet if I were you. It`s still far from certain that Ireland will get any cold weather conditions from this SSW event. IMO the Atlantic will make its presence felt again before long.

The above said, this is just the line for the rollercoaster. We don't get strapped in until early next week. Then the ratchety-hill-lift type sounds will begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hope we don't get an SSW that details a cold spell.. That has happened hasn't it? Not the Feb 2012 one?

Winter 2011-12 did not have any major SSW.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Winter 2011-12 did not have any major SSW.

Ok there was one year Sryan. Pretty sure I read it here 2 years ago. Maybe my memory is playing tricks. It may have brought a premature end to a cold spell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ok there was one year Sryan. Pretty sure I read it here 2 years ago. Maybe my memory is playing tricks. It may have brought a premature end to a cold spell..

February 2009?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    February 2009?

Yes was about to say that :) Cold spell brought about by an SSW iirc?

• Advertisement

There is just too much INTENSE Cold going into Europe and Eastern Canada.

I can really see some Intense Cold of considerable duration reaching our shores very soon.

2vcb0xx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Poland update.....
    It's been a stop and start winter this year in Southern Poland. Latest we've ever had the first snowfall (it was end of November this season compared to mid October the last 5 years).
    We had a white Christmas and New year again with around 20cm snow.
    But the last 3 days have been crazy with winter storms.
    My previous record of 37cm of lying snow was passed yesterday, with 41cm measured.
    Some snow drifts here are 2m high.
    We still have another 3 days of intense snow and strong winds this weekend from a forming low in the Baltic.
    I'll try and get some photos tomorrow, but it's very hard to get out and about.
    Saying that life is normal, schools open etc etc. I got bus to work yesterday as it wasn't worth the hassle of digging my car out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Who has got the sun? Could you please bring it back? :(

It was out here yesterday, " Oh island in the sun.." dazzled me blind. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

shivery this morning.. brrr... west mayo offshore,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

snaps wrote: »
    Poland update.....
    It's been a stop and start winter this year in Southern Poland. Latest we've ever had the first snowfall (it was end of November this season compared to mid October the last 5 years).
    My previous record of 37cm of lying snow was passed yesterday, with 41cm measured.
    We still have another 3 days of intense snow and strong winds this weekend from a forming low in the Baltic.
    Saying that life is normal, schools open etc etc. I got bus to work yesterday as it wasn't worth the hassle of digging my car out.

I'm currently near Katowice, and yesterday was interesting! We were driving and a heavy shower came in, coating all the freshly salted and plowed roads within a minute or two, and reducing visibility very low!

It's about 10-15cm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

snaps wrote: »
    Poland update.....

Just for the record. That sounds truly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There is just too much INTENSE Cold going into Europe and Eastern Canada.

I can really see some Intense Cold of considerable duration reaching our shores very soon.

But you often see intense cold into Canada / NE USA exiting into the Atlantic and firing up the jet stream when it meets the warmer gulf air (all of which can lead to a storm train for Ireland). Hope that's not the case obviously being a confirmed snow bunny......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Cold in eastern US/Canada can be bad for us.

But you often see intense cold into Canada / NE USA exiting into the Atlantic and firing up the jet stream when it meets the warmer gulf air (all of which can lead to a storm train for Ireland). Hope that's not the case obviously being a confirmed snow bunny......

Very true RB.

I think with what we might see as one of many options, is Snow storms for the NE Canada / America. These lows will move out across the Atlantic but at a lower latitude and head into more southern Europe. Proper trigger lows keeping us with a cold Easterly from a HP set up over the Atlantic. I think that's what might happen.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Oh look, it's cloudy, dark and grey again.

Advertisement