Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

kod87 wrote: »
    Oh look, it's cloudy, dark and grey again.

This type of weather kills me. Just a glimpse of blue sky or sun....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Real dark this morning. The sunrise still fairly late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don;t suffer SAD on a technical diagnosed level but I'm very lacking any energy and wit in this gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just by pure bad timing the battery went in my Davis Vue on the day after I left for Christmas away (22nd), there only has been enough solar power to bring it up 4 0r 5 days since.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

6z gfs pushes the cold air further east. Those cold upper air temp stays well away from the east

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I saw the most beautiful sunrise this morning travelling south on the N11. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at it's been that long. And just as the lower limb of the sun cleared the horizon, the upper limb was slipping into the blanket of low cloud. Literally a two minute window of sunlight is what we got today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

YanSno wrote: »
    6z gfs pushes the cold air further east. Those cold upper air temp stays well away from the east

Doesn't matter
    Options seen now,hot or cold are not reliable at all
    Colder options in FI and nearer should become the majority in the next week or two (unless this SSW joins the 43% known to have no impact)but the usual caveats regarding FI apply

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like the Polish really are having the best of the winter weather.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1081138246036406272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Doesn't matter
    Options seen now,hot or cold are not reliable at all
    Colder options in FI and nearer should become the majority in the next week or two (unless this SSW joins the 43% known to have no impact)but the usual caveats regarding FI apply

The more i see this, it reminds me of Only fools and horses.
    "This time next year rodders, we're gonna be millionaires"

Eventually one of them will be right.

On todays Weather.
    Its gone from mild and overcast to bloody cold and overcast.
    Yipeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

On todays Weather.
    Yipeeee.

Simply untrue. The top posters all mentioned that the Strat warming had a 55% chance approx of effecting us. And if it did effect us it would take around 3 weeks.

What appeared on yesterday's charts for FI Mon-Wednesday next week was simply some cold weather in FI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Simply untrue. The top posters all mentioned that the Strat warming had a 55% chance approx of effecting us. And if it did effect us it would take around 3 weeks.

What appeared on yesterday's charts for FI Mon-Wednesday next week was simply some cold weather in FI.

I never said anything about the posters.
    I was talking about what the charts are showing or not showing.

I never said anything about the posters.
    I was talking about what the charts are showing or not showing.

I understand. However the charts as the poster indicated may only start hinting at what's in store around 20th January next week. It's 16 days from today. The last frames of GFS FI shown today won't be showing up anything of note as, it's so far away and we're unsure of the SSW propagation down through the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

On todays Weather.
    Yipeeee.

Every now and then a poster seems to pop up out of nowhere and begin posting non stop, often winding up other regular members of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes was about to say that :) Cold spell brought about by an SSW iirc?

The central date for the major SSW event in January 2009 was January 23rd which given time lag and the quick response nature of splits, the tropospheric response would be around January 31st. This was the time when the Scandi High had influence over Ireland with the Atlantic depressions being pulled back west. Heavy snow became afoot rather than the cold being significant (like -5.1c was the air minimum during the spell at any synoptic station) through the first week of February continuing into the second week though in the form of showers. Then by the third week, it all just went away like nothing happened. The second half of the month was very mild and cloudy. March was mild too. Kind of strange how quick it disappeared especially given how major the split was.

archives-2009-2-2-12-0.png?

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Every now and then a poster seems to pop up out of nowhere and begin posting non stop, often winding up other regular members of the thread.

:D Fraxinus was my favourite. He was a pensioner who would reach the depths of despair if 'promised' snow didn't come to Donegal :)

I understand. However the charts as the poster indicated may only start hinting at what's in store around 20th January next week. It's 16 days from today. The last frames of GFS FI shown today won't be showing up anything of note as, it's so far away and we're unsure of the SSW propagation down through the atmosphere.

Thanks
    Fi is FI regardless of the strat
    There's some downwelling of the strat heat taken into the models but it must have them all wobbly yet
    Once actual highs and where they are likely to be get factored in,we know more and can project more
    That's 3 weeks
    Up to then cold members will be in the ascendancy in the model ensembles
    Quite where they play out for real is always the question
    Ergo the UK met office is quite right to highlight the potential but not a reality

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The central date for the major SSW event in January 2009 was January 23rd which given time lag and the quick response nature of splits, the tropospheric response would be around January 31st. This was the time when the Scandi High had influence over Ireland with the Atlantic depressions being pulled back west. Heavy snow became afoot rather than the cold being significant (like -5.1c was the air minimum during the spell at any synoptic station) through the first week of February continuing into the second week though in the form of showers. Then by the third week, it all just went away like nothing happened. The second half of the month was very mild and cloudy. March was mild too. Kind of strange how quick it disappeared especially given how major the split was.

A potent enough wintry couple of days early Feb alright. The Naas road had bad traffic jams etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Up to yesterday, Cork Airport has recorded 11 consecutive days without sun, and totals not much better around the rest of the country. The Dublin region and Malin Hd seem to be fairing best, relatively speaking.

No sunshine in my area of west Cork since 21st December, a full two weeks ago, and not looking like there will be any over the next few days at least either.

No sunshine in my area of west Cork since 21st December, a full two weeks ago, and not looking like there will be any in the next few days either.

It's ironic how Cork Airport was the sunniest synoptic station in December 2018 with 35.2 hrs of sunshine whilst Belmullet was the dullest with 11.6 hrs of sunshine. The latter made it not only its dullest December on record (back to 1956) but also its dullest month on record beating the previous record of 15.0 hrs back in December 1993.

Cork Airport's dullest Decembers:

1. 1991 - 17.9 hrs
    2. 1977 - 19.8 hrs
    3. 1987 - 20.5 hrs
    4. 2015 - 24.3 hrs
    5. 1989 - 29.8 hrs

Belmullet's dullest months:

1. Dec 2018 - 11.6 hrs
    2. Dec 1993 - 15.0 hrs
    3. Dec 1974 - 15.8 hrs
    4. Jan 1981 - 16.7 hrs
    5. Dec 1999 - 17.7 hrs

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Highest part of our village at approx 1250M asl. 1m plus of snow.

469513.jpeg

Getting to school this morning......

469514.jpeg

The next storm front has just arrived here now after a cold sunny morning and the snow is coming down thick and fast. Orange warnings for another 30-50cm next 48 hours.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »

469513.jpeg

469514.jpeg

The next storm front has just arrived here now after a cold sunny morning and the snow is coming down thick and fast. Orange warnings for another 30-50cm next 48 hours.

It'll soon be like Sallins last march if that keeps up :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is that a horse or a reindeer at the front of that sleigh train if that is the correct term for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

469513.jpeg

469514.jpeg

I be moving to live in Poland in about 3 years moving everything lock stock and barrel..
    Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That 35 hours for sun must have come from the start of December, I think there was bursts of sun then alright. Definitely wasn't from the 14th or so onwards (had my exams and there was constant rain and wind during them). And since then it's been mostly cloudy and is today still :p . Is the sun real? Haha

That 35 hours for sun must have come from the start of December, I think there was bursts of sun then alright. Definitely wasn't from the 14th or so onwards (had my exams and there was constant rain and wind during them). And since then it's been mostly cloudy and is today still :p . Is the sun real? Haha

Here's the daily sunshine totals for Cork Airport during the month. The majority of the sun came from the first half of December yes.

UzLrHRF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Here's the daily sunshine totals for Cork Airport during the month. The majority of the sun came from the first half of December yes.

If Cork was the sunniest place in Ireland in December it scares me to think what the rest of the country was like!

UzLrHRF.jpg

It's beginning to look like a solar sunspot gif;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can only really remember about 2 days in December where we had sun shining for more than a few minutes, I think it was December 1st and last Thursday I think. I haven't seen any sun or blue sky since. November was also similar where it just seemed to rain everyday.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I can only really remember about 2 days in December where we had sun shining for more than a few minutes, I think it was December 1st and last Thursday I think. I haven't seen any sun or blue sky since. November was also similar where it just seemed to rain everyday.

The last “very sunny” day I remember was November 18th. That was when the easterly started before the cool air arrived which ended in the heavy rainfalls in the days after it. I had purchased my new camera for taking photos in a Black Friday sale and I captured some shots of the moon on that perfectly clear night with it. Before that, probably November 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's been so dull for the last two months to the point where I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me. It just feels so normal to have nonstop grey skies now.

Advertisement