Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Every now and then a poster seems to pop up out of nowhere and begin posting non stop, often winding up other regular members of the thread.

I'm a boards member since 2013, like yourself and have twice as many post as you so how am i popping up out of nowhere.
    I often post in the weather forum and i do believe this is an open forum for all opinions. Its doesn't just belong to people who love snow,sun ect ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Northern Blocking For Late January With JMA Friday (04/01/19)

Cold Week from Monday 7th.

24mi51d.png

vdwfd.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I am loving this dry mild weather. Really loving it. Getting so much work done outside and fitness training is easier.
    I don't particularly notice that there is very little sun.

That said, I would love some frost and snow too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great bright sunny day in Tralee with skies becoming totally clear by evening. Cool all day and cold now at 4.7C. Working outside until a few minutes ago , great to see the bit of extra light.

Pic 17.10

Z7vohsd.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very fortunate to get the fine day here in North Kerry it seems.

IpljptE.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Any body know who is running the severe weather Ireland FB page???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

And some more locally from here in Poland.

469555.jpg

469556.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

snaps wrote: »
    And some more locally from here in Poland.

469555.jpg

469556.jpg

Well lads..does that beat Sallins in March?:D

Plenty of cold in Europe with some severe snow in Italy. Expecting a lot of snow in southern Germany over the weekend, with a lot of Europe expecting some snow next week.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1081192613015883776

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1081218727545393155

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1081223806159597576

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1081203678357393408

tempresult_ehc2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Top posting Meteorite, really appreciated!

• Advertisement

I suppose if the SSW doesn't deliver we'll follow the weather in the time honoured way..

Looking into FI in hope (most of us) for any sign of cold and snow. Seeing what we'd like to see.. when things go downhill we reassure ourselves with statements like 'the models aren't handling this very well at all' and 'FI is really at 72H now'. Then we realise this isn't going to be our cold spell. But we continue, hope springing eternal in the human heart, getting back on to the rollercoaster though we've said we're done til late November 2019.

When all hope is lost and we start talking about how much the days have lenghtened and how much we love Spring around the 23/24th February, sometimes, everything comes together and we get a late cold spell.

The Joys of the Irish Weather Watcher:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It's all beginning to unravel. Atlantic is just dying to take control again and I fear it will succeed

It's all beginning to unravel. Atlantic is just dying to take control again and I fear it will succeed

What's beginning to unravel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Beautiful cold clear sky tonight. The stars are out in force even though visibility is a little 'misty'. Orion the Hunter looks splendid high to the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

What's unraveling? High pressure in charge for the next week, not sure how that's a sign of the Atlantic taking control!

The cold is coming.......

D

There isn't, or never was, anything to unravel:)

SSW that had a 57/43 chance of success in 3 weeks time. To my mind that's not ever anything that we felt we had in our grap that we lost.

So many situations, Feb 2012 when an epic cold spell looked 72h away..it unravelled:D

*has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

What's beginning to unravel?

The promising signs of a cold a snowy spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

With AO trending towards negative and NAO towards a positive looks like a strong HP south of Ireland and LP diving south east from Iceland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

YanSno wrote: »
    With AO trending towards negative and NAO towards a positive looks like a strong HP south of Ireland and LP diving south east from Iceland

Sounds similar to last year with transient cool northwesterlies.

• Advertisement

Ok I presume you mean the SSW.. The odds were always pretty much 50/50.

We can have a cold spell without it. Many forecasters are predicting blocking in mid to late January.

There are still as many signs for colder weather as there were a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

There haven't been any promising signs... This has been undoubtedly the most boring winter of model watching I've ever experienced. We'll have to get at least a cool/below average spell eventually, not getting one would be near unprecedented I'd imagine. At this stage though its looking like mid January at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Flew home to Ireland today, was talking to several people who were in Zakopane in Poland and were stuck there/missed flights and struggled immensely to get to the airport. The Kraków and Katowice area got off rather mildly considering. (Still enough snow to practically shut down Ireland though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There’s no Atlantic forecast anywhere. These no certainty of cold either as this high could stay around for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just above freezing... shivers. West Mayo offshore

LATER; a cold and inhospitable day for outdoor activities... A sneaky wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Been a very mild winter after a long heatwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

6z Gfs has LP racing across the North Atlantic around the middle of the month. Rain turning to sleet and snow scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There’s no Atlantic forecast anywhere. These no certainty of cold either as this high could stay around for weeks.

Models increasingly agreeing on a zonal +NAO 500 hPa pattern at our latitude, so that would mean a westerly flow of systems over or just to the north of us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a tiny bit of sunshine here this morning, very watery sun.

the charts ahead is starting to show more of a cool Atlantic theme going into the middle of this month and possibly beyond. Doesn't look great for those wanting snow, there is a chance of a few brief glances of cold, perhaps topplers which could bring some wintry showers across western and northern areas, but nothing major as of yet.

looking quite snowy at times across central and eastern Europe during January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Good sunny spells in Dublin 13 so far this morning with some nice blue skies, for a change.

Advertisement