Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

By Burns night we'll be at the start of a 3 week wintry spell. Feel it in my bones. My bones beat the UKMO, ECM and GFS everytime ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not selling my bread.

Does anyone else think there’s someone from Brennan’s Bread furiously typing SSW on every weather forum they can find and then sit back and watch the money roll in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Loughc wrote: »
    Does anyone else think there’s someone from Brennan’s Bread furiously typing SSW on every weather forum they can find and then sit back and watch the money roll in.

IMG-20190114-210917.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Muckka wrote: »
    I have a feeling that we'll have a 1963 event this late winter early spring.

North Westerlies and Eastern wind's will be battling it out, they'll both produce sleet and snow.
    Hopefully the road's will be managed ok as it'll be bleak.
    If our road's are gritted and there's a good plan to keep the show on the road the country will be ok.
    A few places won't get it as bad.
    More than likely, the Kerry, Clare and Cork peninsulas will be slushy.
    But from Galway upwards on the western seaboard and from Waterford upward s on the east coast it'll be one to remember.

Intermittent snowy weather will hit the east coast until April.
    It'll be like similar weather we had in the 80's

We'll have those early season brown,grey afternoon s and evening's.
    The cloud's will be racing across the country, looking up you'll see them whipping by

Can't wait....

Layman's weather prediction....

No idea if your prediction will be accurate or not but I really enjoyed your description of the weather. Brought me back to winters as a kid in the 80s with those brown grey afternoons and a wind that would slice the tips of your ears off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

No idea if your prediction will be accurate or not but I really enjoyed your description of the weather. Brought me back to winters as a kid in the 80s with those brown grey afternoons and a wind that would slice the tips of your ears off..
    The brown/grey was smog! Thankfully smokeless fuels reduced that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

wing52 wrote: »
    The brown/grey was smog! Thankfully smokeless fuels reduced that.

Smog was all the rage back then in the urban areas alright but not at my location on the west coast. No I remember the particular brownish/greyish light in the afternoons during strong north-westerlys in winter and early spring. The clouds would be whipping across the sky, to borrow the other poster's phrase, now and again a single ray of sun would break through to hit the ocean for a few seconds then back to the grey/brown light. And it was feckin Baltic to be out in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Last time I done this , was about 5 years before I got to use and it ended up as a pooper scooper in the back garden till it got it glorious revenge last snow ,

Then one of the neighbours drove over it :eek: ,

Anyway Im all in again :D:D:D:D

:D

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/snow-shovel/

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Last time I done this , was about 5 years before I got to use and it ended up as a pooper scooper in the back garden till it got it glorious revenge last snow ,

You must have some size dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A real stonker from the ecm ensembles 42 members out of 51 showing great sings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Alot of general negativity and frustration over the past 24 hours.

This evening things seem to be looking certainly a little bit more positive, they don't call this a rollercoaster for nothing.

Some interesting charts for next week, if your getting bored of the bland and mild conditions.

ECMWF for next Wednesday looking rather chilly and unsettled.

ECMOPEU12_216_1.png

GEM also looking cold for next Wednesday

GEMOPEU12_204_1.png

ECMWF for next Thursday looking even colder with stiff north-east winds.

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Some of the GFS runs also looking rather chilly for next Wednesday and Thursday.

GFSP04EU12_228_1.png

GFSP08EU12_210_1.png

After 2 and a half months of relentless mild weather, things certainly look to be turning colder, will be a shock to the system for many, some places may see their first snow flakes next week, with lots of potential after that. I would imagine most places will see wintry precipitation of some description next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Alot of general negativity and frustration over the past 24 hours.

This evening things seem to be looking certainly a little bit more positive, they don't call this a rollercoaster for nothing.

Some interesting charts for next week, if your getting bored of the bland and mild conditions.

ECMWF for next Wednesday looking rather chilly and unsettled.

GEM also looking cold for next Wednesday

ECMWF for next Thursday looking even colder with stiff north-east winds.

Some of the GFS runs also looking rather chilly for next Wednesday and Thursday.

After 2 and a half months of relentless mild weather, things certainly look to be turning colder, will be a shock to the system for many, some places may see their first snow flakes next week, with lots of potential after that. I would imagine most places will see wintry precipitation of some description next week.

And so winter finally begins............

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

KingJeremy wrote: »
    You must have some size dog!

Have Astro turf out the back , the snow shovel is the job for cleaning up 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

UK Met Office teasing the probable changes for the second half of this Winter: Could 2018-19 be a tale of two halves?

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1084933173446770688

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

For times like this I wish Kermit was around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    For times like this I wish Kermit was around

Build it and he will come.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Build it and he will come.

An igloo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Mods have advised not to discuss the green amphibian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Loughc wrote: »
    An igloo?

A wall is more his style.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To follow on from the charts posted above.

This has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but here are some snow fall predictions for the next week showing in cm's the possibility of snow for the middle of next week.

Top run (Dublin)
    Middle run (Galway)
    Bottom run (Cork)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Off-topic but you let your dog poo in the garden:eek: I'd murder my dog if she did a poo in the garden :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Just signed up and always had an interest in Meteorology, hopefully i'm joining at an exciting time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yeah, we're gonna talk about dog poo from the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Don't eat the brown snow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    To follow on from the charts posted above.

This has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but here are some snow fall predictions for the next week showing in cm's the possibility of snow for the middle of next week.

Top run (Dublin)
    Middle run (Galway)
    Bottom run (Cork)

Cork not looking great *sigh* oh well still plenty of time! Just gotta find the generator for the shield, council moved it after I broke it last year but hey (heh)

All seriousness though the fact it could even snow next week after the months we have had is just something that's hard to believe really! Looking forward to some crisp evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

On a serious note where is the frog.

Is he safe ? Has anyone heard from him?

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

On a serious note where is the frog.

Is he safe ? Has anyone heard from him?

:(

Serving a ban at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ye never know, he could be seeing just normal January cold ahead and having a good aul laugh at us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ye never know, he could be seeing just normal January cold ahead and having a good aul laugh at us all!

Very slippery of him !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Serving a ban at the moment

Ah such a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Cold north westerlies and northerly blasts in the 18Z GFS. Hint of Scandi high towards the end of the run. Heights low in Greenland throughout. We'll keep watching :)

Advertisement