Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Serving a ban at the moment

He's due back on the 21st,so perfect timing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Gonzo wrote: »
    To follow on from the charts posted above.

This has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but here are some snow fall predictions for the next week showing in cm's the possibility of snow for the middle of next week.

Top run (Dublin)
    Middle run (Galway)
    Bottom run (Cork)

Cork not looking great *sigh* oh well still plenty of time! Just gotta find the generator for the shield, council moved it after I broke it last year but hey (heh)

All seriousness though the fact it could even snow next week after the months we have had is just something that's hard to believe really! Looking forward to some crisp evenings[/quote

Actually in fact cork has the greatest depth of snow according to that. Take a look at the cm graph on the left hand side the one for cork is higher than the other two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

It's like Christmas Eve every evening, waiting for the next day to come, to run to the phone and see if we have snowy charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Crappy pub run GFS and GFS-P
    Hopefully just drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Poor 00z GFS run tonight. Models keep putting the good parts just out of semi reliable reach. Everything's great two weeks away. But it always is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Latest ECM is stunning though, towards the end of the run though but shows lots of snow.

Potential in the ICON though at the end of the run but nothing too exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

awful sense of deja vu checking the thread since midday y'day... ;) will it, won't it, yes, no...

No shovel here; if I need digging out I have good neighbours who have tractors...One year when I was living on a North Sea island, the lorry with snowplough got stuck in the snow... faithful tractor got him out and cleared snow . My home help used to arrive on their tractor....

Look after the farmers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Nice ecm. Really hope it's right. The gfs can go and kiss my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Billcarson wrote: »
    Nice ecm. Really hope it's right. The gfs can go and kiss my ass.

Yeah, a brief but potent easterly on 24 Jan. Beefy snow showers in the east and South East if that came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork not looking great *sigh* oh well still plenty of time! Just gotta find the generator for the shield, council moved it after I broke it last year but hey (heh)

All seriousness though the fact it could even snow next week after the months we have had is just something that's hard to believe really! Looking forward to some crisp evenings[/quote

Actually in fact cork has the greatest depth of snow according to that. Take a look at the cm graph on the left hand side the one for cork is higher than the other two

Would that just not be one run run from the GFS showing the most for there while the others don't show much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Deric Ó h'Artagáin said on the Marty King show that their is no snow on the horizon for Ireland.
    Some flurries next week possible up North on the higher grounds but no beast.

I know he works for TV3 so not sure what credibility he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Deric Ó h'Artagáin said on the Marty King show that their is no snow on the horizon for Ireland.

He’s correct, for now. Need the cold to come first and or patterns to become favourable for snow before thinking of it occurring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

There's no such thing as TV3 anymore :P

As things stand, Deric is most likely correct, depending on what "the horizon" is, timeline wise.

highdef wrote: »
    There's no such thing as TV3 anymore :P

As things stand, Deric is most likely correct, depending on what "the horizon" is, timeline wise.
    No TV3??? Is Network 2 still going?.

I think he said middle of next week for Northern Ireland for some flurries so i'm expecting his horizon for us would be at least 10 days and he didn't sound optimistic at the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Deric who? Lol .That Muppet? In all fairness though he is no more a " weatherman " then I am a china man.

IT IS ARCTIC OUT THERE! west mayo offshore, where the wind blows free and COLD

Billcarson wrote: »
    Deric who? Lol .That Muppet? In all fairness though he is no more a " weatherman " then I am a china man.

Nǐ hao Billcarson

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In fairness, if you look at his Instagram account, it's all weather related pics. Meteorology really is his passion in life.

https://www.instagram.com/deric_tv_/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

I was going to say all calm on the Western front.:D
    I've been moving between, Galway, Meath and Wicklow in the last four days :D

All calm and overcast and 9 degrees in Meath today.
    Yesterday was beautiful in Wicklow while it was dull back in Meath, or it was when I left it.

Back to Wicklow this weekend for a run up the Sugarloaf. Expect that will be chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Well the last day of the long spell of boring weather is today. From tomorrow a cold front will bring the change with it. This will herald an initial chill before the weekend after which the cold will relax a little and after that there’s all sorts of options on the table with many looking quite interesting. There will be some very mean northwesterly wind in the coming days. Some seem to relish the thought of the windchill it will certainly feel bitter but lowland snow potential initially be low. From about next Wednesday snow potential increases in probability. Though the hemispheric patterns after about 144 hours are changing hugely on each and every run. Still a waiting game but the pattern is a violently convulsing vortex being stretched in all sorts of directions. Let’s see where the chips will fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann are showing 2C as the high for where I live for Thursday, Yr.no are going for 3C. All going for very cold. Yr.no is showing snow for me for next week with a potential for a lot of snow on Monday.

Well the last day of the long spell of boring weather is today. From tomorrow a cold front will bring the change with it. This will herald an initial chill before the weekend after which the cold will relax a little and after that there’s all sorts of options on the table with many looking quite interesting. There will be some very mean northwesterly wind in the coming days. Some seem to relish the thought of the windchill it will certainly feel bitter but lowland snow potential initially be low. From about next Wednesday snow potential increases in probability. Though the hemispheric patterns after about 144 hours are changing hugely on each and every run. Still a waiting game but the pattern is a violently convulsing vortex being stretched in all sorts of directions. Let’s see where the chips will fall

sad to see the peaceful spell ending. It has been wonderful, a real blessing, Hoping for nothing severe now.

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1085149275426820096?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They will need new bins on NW they are throwing so many GFS runs into them.

The uncertainty across models beyond a few days is funny really.

Patience is required but I think a few false dawns before the goods arrive would be my hunch.

Villain wrote: »

Patience is required but I think a few false dawns before the goods arrive would be my hunch.
    Indeed!
    Shannon entropy on the details but the direction of travel is clear,cold cold COLD
    Here's another tweet from the UK met media man,only a matter of time really before we're pegging snow balls?

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1085161908087459841?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Villain wrote: »

The operational GFS truly is awful for cold and snow. The GFS steamrolls mostly mild Atlantic muck into Ireland from the 23rd of January. The GFS has rarely shown any proper cold weather at all over the past 2 weeks and is sticking to it's guns with the mild theme.

Plenty of other models showing very cold and wintry conditions with some models sending us into near freezer conditions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

33p62y8.jpg

Hmmmm...Who would I listen to,the soon to be retired poorly maintained GFS during a government shut down OR everyone else including a myriad of professional met organisations ,their employees,their anomaly charts and their unchanging published outlooks?
    God it's a tough choice isn't it

I also think the bread jokes are gone stale!
    Something new
    Every time I hear a bread pun now ,you'd swear it hadn't been done before
    Its old Sigh!
    There I've said it

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Hmmmm...Who would I listen to,the soon to be retired poorly maintained GFS during a government shut down OR everyone else including a myriad of professional met organisations ,their employees,their anomaly charts and their unchanging published outlooks?
    God it's a tough choice isn't it

I also think the bread jokes are gone stale!
    Something new
    Every time I hear a bread pun now ,you'd swear it hadn't been done before
    Its old Sigh!
    There I've said it

well said... maybe prefer a hot (cross) bun..

Advertisement