Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wet snow/ Sleet falling here in SW Donegal. From photos I seen online nearby higher roads have snow/wet snow on them and looks quite dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Warner in cork city today then yesterday, temps seems to have risen a bit over nice. 4/5 degrees from the 2 degrees last night. Wet aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I'm heading to Malaga on Thursday for a long weekend, anyone have any idea what it'll be like there? :D

I was there first week of January and weather was gorgeous, sunny, and 20c! Couldn't believe it! Bring your sunglasses, and a jacket as gets cold at night. Enjoy, it's a wonderful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Assuming the modules went pear shaped last night with no talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

There was talk. There was some unnecessary hype on here. It was all favouring the UK with the east of Ireland very marginal pre-200 hours on the GFS 18z whilst we’d have no chance with the ECM 12z. Would be very disappointing.

This morning’s runs aren’t the greatest either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Not pear shaped but a cold weather theme is still on the cards just how cold is the question. It could be that we won’t know for sure how next week will be looking until Sunday but I’d say many parts of Ireland will see snowfall next week at least high parts anyway. Interesting model watching over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Whoa :eek: As the light dawns I'm squinting out the window thinking, why are the hills so bright, what's that on the garden, Is that SNOW!? Why yes, yes it is! I did not expect that. (NW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I can't wait to see all the facebook posts this morning about the half a cm of snow that fell last night.
    "have te make a snowman in me pi-jamis"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very finely balanced on overnight charts and really could go either way still.

I think also bear in mind that we do have some banter in here, the more serious chat is in the model thread.

The cold is going to knock on our door but will it be enough to open it??

• Advertisement

Posted by Emmet Kennedy on Facebook
    Up croagh.. Dunkineely/inver stay well clear!
    Screenshot-2019-01-18-08-20-36.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Villain wrote: »

I think also bear in mind that we do have some banter in here, the more serious chat is in the model thread.

Exactly, its only banter.
    Sure who could take Irish weather that seriously ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Villain wrote: »

Yeah a lot of windy trash in the GFS ensembles this morning suggesting it’s all very knife edge. I think ECM is good and cold but not particularly snowy until the very last frame which shows a slider which could work for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock synops reporting 1 cm of patchy wet snow cover this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

So was last nights snow all we get? Still some near Boylw but only on mountains in Sligo now

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

pauldry wrote: »
    So was last nights snow all we get? Still some near Boylw but only on mountains in Sligo now

There will deffo be snow chances ongoing for next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There are charts that show the U.K. but not ireland in the freezer. Misery. Slight deviation West of a thousand mile cool pool in next chart. Ecstasy. Slight deviations east again. Misery.

So it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We cannot depend on the Government. For the love of God, Ireland and all that's decent in this world, if you care about your fellow man....
    Organise a van between friends and head to Donegal to help!
    A bread van!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Some people were calling these charts last night the best they've seen and others were getting carried away while i insisted we are not going to have anything out the ordinary. NAO well into positive and chances for a blocking has diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

YanSno wrote: »
    Some people were calling these charts last night the best they've seen and others were getting carried away while i insisted we are not going to have anything out the ordinary. NAO well into positive and chances for a blocking has diminished.

Saying it’s diminished is like me saying it’s 100% going to snow next week in my garden :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Brave call and not sure how long NAO will stay positive for long looking at forecast.

The charts still show cold, -4c Sunday night won’t be bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

The vortex over in Canada and that 1035mb hp will play a big part in our weather and also i believe in climate oscillation. This is my own opinion now zonal influence with cold outbreaks from the north / east which will be very marginal for snow and short-lived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Maybe so but I think virtually everyone in Ireland will see snow (and maybe lots of it) before February ends and that, by Irish standards, is a good winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

6z GFS. Look good. We're just on the edge of all the fun at the moment. But that could change and deliver the good in the long run. Warmer air to are West colder to are East. Possably under cut low . Some fantastic model watching at the moment. Anyone calling it one way or the other may get job future planning Brexit..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The GFS 06z is an improvement on the 0Z with a larger cold pool developing and covering more of the country at 204h. ECM looks fine to me at the same time frame so i'm a little puzzled why all the doom and gloom this morning.
    The trend is still cold by next weekend, how cold still uncertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

The overall pattern is improved this morning on the 06z from the GFS. Some very cold uppers having no problem making it into the east of ireland at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

GFS 06z is good from Sunday 27th onwards for significant snow in terms of the parameters. Other than that, not great..... besides maybe Tuesday.

I remain pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dusting of snow on the car this morning, south of Sligo Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

6Z GFS showing nothing really of note for next week but FI is great for snow fans around Sunday 28th there would be no shortage of the white stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

GFS 06z looks a lot better for our hopes of snow, it's well into next weekend but I feel a lot more positive than I did last night.

Advertisement