Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What areas to avoid when renting?

Options
  • 19-08-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

So I've recently found out that sometime in October I may be bound for a job in Cork nearby the Airway Technology Park, and thus will need to find a room. Before I start looking, I was wondering is there any "no-go areas" that I should avoid? Will probably be looking at areas south of the River Lee in Cork city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

These type of threads always turn into an absolute sh*t show.

There's over 250 threads in the Cork City forum searching the words 'rent' and 'area', so there's a start for ya.

Btw, you're moving to Cork, not Los Angeles there aren't any 'no-go areas' unless you're the type who gets scared by their own shadow or by human to human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Btw, you're moving to Cork, not Los Angeles there aren't any 'no-go areas' unless you're the type who gets scared by their own shadow or by human to human interaction.
    Certain areas of Finglas & Ballyfermot are great for the locals, not the best for non-locals. Everywhere has it's sh|tholes, and I doubt Cork is any different.

I'm trying to avoid said "locally know" sh|tholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

the_syco wrote: »
    Certain areas of Finglas & Ballyfermot are great for the locals, not the best for non-locals. Everywhere has it's sh|tholes, and I doubt Cork is any different.

I'm trying to avoid said "locally know" sh|tholes.

You should be fine south of the river. Some working class areas with minor problems, but not "No go areas" or "****holes" by any means. The level of gang violence and crime rates that exist in Dublin are not applicable to Cork.

North of the river is generally fine also, though some areas have higher levels of deprivation and the usual issues that accompany. You should also look at the satellite towns such as Glanmire, Carrigaline, and Ballincollig. Further out, but nice areas. Ballinlough, Turners Cross, Blackrock, Douglas, and Frankfield would be the usual rental areas on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's Cork, not Basra.

Granted some areas are more 'lively' than others esp. the so-called working class areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Do you drive? That makes a huge difference to where is suitable or not, especially for working in the airport.
    If you don't, then either the city centre, Riverstick, Belgooly or Kinsale are on a bus route. Pretty much everywhere else is a good walk and a bus, or 2 busses from the airport.
    If you do drive, then most places are within 30mins or less. Pick if you want city, rural, the suburbs or a town/village and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

For where you're working any of the Frankfield estates or Ardfield in Grange would be ideal for a room. We rented in Frankfield for a year when we moved back to Cork and it's a mix of renters and families with normal teenagers - not an ounce of bother out of anyone. You could drive up a back road to Airway Technology Park in 5 minutes in the morning. I never used the bus but there certainly was one regularly. This will bring you to Douglas village or on into town, Douglas being one of the few non-city-centre nightlife areas.

Alternatively there's Leghanamore but I remember hearing it's a little isolated from bus routes.

Turners cross would be a good area that's within reasonable walking distance of town, has a regular bus service and has Friday night football if you're into it. Decent enough place for bars if you like drinking in a local.

*For traffic reasons* I'd avoid living North of the river. Both the tunnel and the Michael Collins / De Valera bridges route are very busy travelling southbound in the mornings and northbound in the evenings.

As you say, every city has dodgy areas, but Cork doesn't have vast clusters of it like Dublin, and bar a few notable exceptions you should to take it on an estate by estate basis for the most part.

In the areas you might be looking which are close to your new workplace, there's a couple of pockets around you may not find comfortable. It sounds like you know your own comfort level, and a quick google street view will help you decide.

Generally speaking, a rougher estate/cluster in Cork looks much like a rougher estate in Dublin so listen to your own bias. I grew up in a council estate in Cork city where we weren't treated like other 'locals', and I know what I'd avoid. As an adult it's not so much an issue of safety as an issue of nuisance and security of possessions.

There won't be that much to rent when you're looking on daft anyway, so you won't find yourself needing to select suburbs to narrow your search.

.red. wrote: »
    Do you drive?
    Yes, but won't have a car for at least a few months; in Canada atm. So shall be dependent on buses for the first few months/year.
    MrDerp wrote: »
    For where you're working any of the Frankfield estates or Ardfield in Grange would be ideal for a room. We rented in Frankfield for a year when we moved back to Cork and it's a mix of renters and families with normal teenagers - not an ounce of bother out of anyone.
    Grand. Will check it out. Any idea what the cycle lane on the N27 is like? Is there a 60 or 80 speed limit on the road?
    *For traffic reasons* I'd avoid living North of the river. Both the tunnel and the Michael Collins / De Valera bridges route are very busy travelling southbound in the mornings and northbound in the evenings.
    I find forced bottlenecks usually have issues. Thanks for the heads up.
    As an adult it's not so much an issue of safety as an issue of nuisance and security of possessions.
    This is what I'm looking to avoid. At 6 foot 6, I don't get much hassle from anyone when walking about.
    There won't be that much to rent when you're looking on daft anyway, so you won't find yourself needing to select suburbs to narrow your search.
    With Daft, I'd be generally using the map view, to ensure I get a house near a bus route, and near'ish the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Grand. Will check it out. Any idea what the cycle lane on the N27 is like? Is there a 60 or 80 speed limit on the road?

With Daft, I'd be generally using the map view, to ensure I get a house near a bus route, and near'ish the city centre.

Cycle lane is ok at the moment, I actually brought my wife to the airport this morning and there was someone cycling up. I’ve seen it in shocking condition though in the past, between the r851 and kinsale rd roundabout, where it’s an on path job and the hedgerow often comes way out if it hasn’t been cut. If you live around Douglas, grange or frankfield though you’ll take said R851,

It’s a hell of an uphill cycle, but if you’re cycling you won’t avoid it. You’re working 150m asl whatever way you slice it.

I’d start with the frankfield Douglas grange axis for your search, makes the most sense for your work and buses are good. Donnybrook is mostly ok too. You’ll see the odd estate you might not like the look of but even these you’d be unlucky to get nuisance in. I regularly ran in the area at night and if you’re not even getting stupid comments jogging past teenagers (I’m 7 inches shorter than you) they’re unlikely to bother your property I’d expect.

You’ll get more modern properties around Maryborough hill near Douglas but I’d avoid it for traffic and bus route reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Grand. Will check it out. Any idea what the cycle lane on the N27 is like?
    Vertical...

If you're fit you'll manage but you'd need a shower after. It's only on the side ascending the hill, nice big hard shoulder on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Also the 206 is due to be extended to the airport and business park by the end of the year so this might open up a few more areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Let's not pretend Cork has no "no-go" areas. Yes Cork is generally safe but there are areas with plenty of crime and young people causing trouble. Not exactly ideal living situation and i'm sure many of us would avoid those areas (we all know them) if going to buy or rent a house

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Also the 206 is due to be extended to the airport and business park by the end of the year so this might open up a few more areas.
    Cool. Currently I'd be looking at areas on the 226/A route, as it'd drop me nearby the new job. Disliking Daft atm. Selected "no" to owner occupied, but the map view shows me owner occupied anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Let's not pretend Cork has no "no-go" areas. Yes Cork is generally safe but there are areas with plenty of crime and young people causing trouble. Not exactly ideal living situation and i'm sure many of us would avoid those areas (we all know them) if going to buy or rent a house

Well, why not name them like the op requested?
    It seems like you have exactly the info he's after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seems to be a spate of car thefts, joyriding and burnouts on the northside right now, an old problem rearing its head again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

These type of threads always turn into an absolute sh*t show.

There's over 250 threads in the Cork City forum searching the words 'rent' and 'area', so there's a start for ya.

Worlds 3rd friendliest City OP, welcome

:D

Advertisement