Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying land without planning permission

Options
  • 20-08-2018 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

There is a plot of land advertised on myhome. I have been looking at houses but this land looks to be in the perfect location to build on. However, it does not come with planning permission. It says there was planning permission 20 years ago, the land is in a residential area sourounded by houses.

What is the procedure here? Is it possible to buy on the condition of getting planning permission or do I take a gamble? A 300k gamble...

I am lucky that I don't need a mortgage to buy the land but I would need a mortgage to build the property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

How much would the plot be worth with planning permission and why did the seller not apply and increase the value of the site?

You can arrange to buy it subject to planning permission.
    But be aware if the sale falls through you are out the cost of the planning, but that's way cheaper than the sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

That's an expensive field because without planning permission that's all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Its possible to buy with the planning stipulation of course if the vendor accepts that condition.
    He might not as planning can take a while to go through.
    Have you looked at house prices in that area, you don't say where it is, consider the site price, construction cost and compare if its worth the hassle of the build.
    It can be quite stressful and rarely comes in on budget.
    Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a staggering price for a piece of land without planning permission - even with pp its expensive.

Just because it had planning years ago is no guarantee it will get it again. At very least ask for a pre-planning meeting but that would take a couple of months. Or buy subject to planning.

Also you could have a look at requirements for planning. The most likely reasons for being refused are - not in the right zone (check county development plan), lack of sightlines for access to the site (if it is bordering a main road or a very winding country road these are likely to be a problem), potential for flooding. There are lots more reasons but these are an obvious starting point.

Edit, I have just seen that it is in a 'residential area' - you still need to check the zoning, sometimes planning will not permit any more houses, even though there is already a cluster, to avoid creating a 'village' that does not have services and they don't want one to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Contacted the estate agent today and they said they would not accept a planning condition with the sale. It is being sold without planning permission. They have a bidding war anyway with people happy to go ahead without permission.

I am very sceptical about this as why would the seller not get planning permission first? Is there a way to see if they failed to get planning permission recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zenify wrote: »
    Contacted the estate agent today and they said they would not accept a planning condition with the sale. It is being sold without planning permission. They have a bidding war anyway with people happy to go ahead without permission.

I am very sceptical about this as why would the seller not get planning permission first? Is there a way to see if they failed to get planning permission recently?

well firstly they might want a quick sale and if people are willing to fight over it without any planning permission and the time that takes then it makes sense to refuse any conditions.. why should the seller care for the buyer's plans?

or maybe they have had the pre planning discussion and feedback wasn't great

if an actual planning application was launched and rejected - you'd easily find that info online.

Presume that's a Dublin council based on that land price... Or maybe Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You should be able to search all planning applications made on the site and in the area on the relevant local authorities website

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it possible the site can accommodate more than one house?
    That would explain the 300k value.

You first check the Development Plan Maps to see what the current Zoning of the site is, then engage an architect to put together a submission.

This is from the planning website. It's the property in the middle that's a slight different colour. Does the other colour mean it's not zoned as residential?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is from the planning website. It's the property in the middle that's a slight different colour. Does the other colour mean it's not zoned as residential?

Killiney Area may explain the site cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

...I am very sceptical about this as why would the seller not get planning permission first? Is there a way to see if they failed to get planning permission recently?

In a lot of counties now, a big part of planning permission for one-off houses is proving that you have a housing need in the area. And if you do get planning, there is very often criteria attached to it that you cannot sell the house for x amount of years ( I think it is often 7 years)

Therefore, the days of getting planning for one off housing and then selling the site with planning like you used to be able to do is almost gone.

In reply to your second question, in most (if not all) county council websites you can search all past and current planning applications and look at all details of them including planners reports, submissions from the local TD etc. Very interesting reading for nosy people like me...!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BnB wrote: »
    In a lot of counties now, a big part of planning permission for one-off houses is proving that you have a housing need in the area. And if you do get planning, there is very often criteria attached to it that you cannot sell the house for x amount of years ( I think it is often 7 years)

Therefore, the days of getting planning for one off housing and then selling the site with planning like you used to be able to do is almost gone.

In reply to your second question, in most (if not all) county council websites you can search all past and current planning applications and look at all details of them including planners reports, submissions from the local TD etc. Very interesting reading for nosy people like me...!!!!

The design of this was to exactly do that, keep site prices low for locals to build a house on, sadly its gone completely mad. I have lived in a part of Kildare all my life but can't get planning for a one off house anywhere near because I wasn't living in the 'rural community' enough....

I thought this local need planning was only a countryside thing? This land is in South Dublin as another poster found out by closely looking at the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP check out the planning applications nearby, particularly the one that backs onto the site, should give clues.

DLR are gone really strict on density and multiple unit types, I'd imagine they will try to get a lot more into that site than one house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Alarm bells would be ringing for me. The seller would get a lot extra even selling it with outline planning permission. But he isnt, why not?

Advertisement