Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate skype?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am not sure if it is peculiar to hate it so much.
    It feels unnatural, and awkward and makes me feel self conscious which in turn causes me to talk shyte.
    Perhaps it is an age thing ( in my 50's) and therefore I am not 'a digital native'. However I am not a technophobe either.
    Recently I have exchanged a few messages with someone from another forum. I was enjoying the interaction until he suggested we skype. My heart sank. I am struggling to find polite words with which to decline the offer, rather than responding with ' No f'cking way' !
    I do not skype with my friends ( all in Australia) and in my 20yrs of being in Aus. I never skyped with family in Ireland.

Anyone else hate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

cusser wrote:
    Anyone else hate it?

Can't stand it, such an annoying piece of software.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Moved here as a more suitable location for the topic than the Home Entertainment forum.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't use it either.

I use an alternative for audio calls (Linphone) and never do video calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Skype, software wise is destroyed since Microsoft bought it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

cusser wrote: »
    It feels unnatural, and awkward and makes me feel self conscious which in turn causes me to talk shyte.
    Perhaps it is an age thing ( in my 50's) and therefore I am not 'a digital native'. However I am not a technophobe either.
    Recently I have exchanged a few messages with someone from another forum. I was enjoying the interaction until he suggested we skype. My heart sank. I am struggling to find polite words with which to decline the offer, rather than responding with ' No f'cking way' !
    I do not skype with my friends ( all in Australia) and in my 20yrs of being in Aus. I never skyped with family in Ireland.

Anyone else hate it?

It served a purpose back in the day, but others have kicked its ass, so I expect its on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

I don't use it either.

I use an alternative for audio calls (Linphone) and never do video calling.

Never heard of it. Had a quick look ; looks interesting.... Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cusser wrote: »

Anyone else hate it?

Would it be more correct to say you hate video calling? You should be able to disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The most recent version has removed the windows hotkeys - this is a massive problem for me because of the way I use it.

None of the alternatives seem to have auto answer which I also need so I'm stuck with it for now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

I think it's great. What's not to like? You can turn the camera off if you're uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think it's great. What's not to like? You can turn the camera off if you're uncomfortable

Everything now goes back through Microsoft and they have the 'right' to listen etc etc.
    You might not think this a big deal but some of us do.
    “In 2018, when anyone can be offended by anything, these terms allow Microsoft staff to play unrestrained censor if and when they choose,” says Corbett. ” What’s also clear is that they reserve the right to go through your private data, and these terms seem to pretty clearly allow them to watch and listen to your Skype calls, so long as they are ‘investigating’ something. The terms don’t appear to require any complaint to be filed against you—just that an employee deciding that they want to investigate.”

http://fortune.com/2018/03/27/microsoft-bans-offensive-language-xbox-skype-privacy/

Last I checked there was no means of encrypting your traffic so that MS could not read/listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

They only thing they are likely to see if they "investigate" my video calls is probably a video stream of me pulling myself asunder while crying. I'd say they'd stop investigating fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

it's a torrid piece of software. I've nothing against video calling, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

it's a torrid piece of software. I've nothing against video calling, however.

When Skype was Skype the software was grand but the minute MS bought it they made a total balls of the software itself.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Zoom seems to be a good alt. The OP would similarly not be comfortable being videod IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Would it be more correct to say you hate video calling? You should be able to disable it.
    I know I can disable it, but then it becomes awkward, if the other person doesn't want it disabled.

One is trapped, unable to walk around, while talking, or make coffee...etc...

Viewing someone you know well, via skype seems to make them less real in my eyes and is very distracting from the content of conversation.

Everything now goes back through Microsoft and they have the 'right' to listen etc etc.
    You might not think this a big deal but some of us do.

This is a great reason to not like it. Thanks. I can use it as a more plausible excuse, rather than try and articulate all the other reasons.

It is funny, video telephony is as old as the hills and has been possible since the 1940's and yet it never took off.
    I don't know why that is, but somehow I feel it's the answer to a question that nobody asked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The new Electron based Skype is absolutely rubbish (don't get me started on the App version..). Have had huge problems since Microsoft changed it (only one side seeing video, crashing, not dialing then showing missed call amongst other things).
    I've been looking at alternatives (PC specifically) and it seems Viber is the only contender which is a pity. I know there are plenty of apps on mobile platforms which do it, but I use Skype on PC to keep in touch with relatives who use PC..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Links sent over skype open in IE even though Chrome is my default browser. Thanks, Micro$oft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It is funny, video telephony is as old as the hills and has been possible since the 1940's and yet it never took off.
    I don't know why that is, but somehow I feel it's the answer to a question that nobody asked.

What? Really?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What? Really?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_videotelephony

Ages, but it never caught on. Guess people are not always dressed for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement