Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep winter fodder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Its hard to know . all i know is 50 bales(30-35% DM) does us for around 120 ewes. Very hard to actually calculate it when youre supplementing with meal and if there outside with a pick of grass

That doesn’t sound too bad. I’ve been feeding chopping silage over the last few years and it wasn’t going that far, so gave up the chopping this year. Hoping it will make a difference and silage will go further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In all the calculators, they all leave it up to yourself how many days feed you think you’ll need, how many days winter feed are lads planning for this winter ? I’ve optimistically hoping to have grass up till mid nov, silage to start / mid March and plug all other gaps with meal ? How does that compare ?[/quote

1 bale for 2 ewes with single lambs or a bit more over that length of time, ewes carrying twins will eat less

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Anyone get any prices for beet yet this year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Do sheep gorge on beet? Or do they just eat their fill?

We might be feeding beet outside and I’m thinking of spreading lots of beet around the field to save bringing out a day’s worth at a time.

Is it likely some will “overeat”?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

I have hay and silage got this year but it's only 2/3 of what I need 2 questions : 1) which should I buy hay or silage both are more or less the same price?
    2) which should be fed first the hay or silage?

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Keep a handful of lambs here to graze field around house, lambs weigh about 50kg,was wondering how much meal they would need per day over the winter, would 5 kg do ten each day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

Are these ewe lambs that you are going to sell for breeding hoggets?

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Box09 wrote: »
    Are these ewe lambs that you are going to sell for breeding hoggets?

Fatten for xmas

Anyone get any prices for beet yet this year?

Was talking to a local dairy farmer this evening hes paying E55 a tonne washed and delivered for beet, expensive feeding enough i taught.
    How are people fixed for fodder now? With the good back end might just scrape by here with what i have but would like to get another few bales or take a bit grazing if i could get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Was talking to a local dairy farmer this evening hes paying E55 a tonne washed and delivered for beet, expensive feeding enough i taught.
    How are people fixed for fodder now? With the good back end might just scrape by here with what i have but would like to get another few bales or take a bit grazing if i could get it

Used to get beet for 40 a ton here washed but it's an awkward feed, never found it much good to be honest, high enough in energy but full of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ewes are in great order mud fat some prob average fat score 4 so i can afford to let them lose a condition score for lambing mid february which they will naturally as grass gets tighter. i had budgeted to start giving hay in a rack next weekend but i wouldnt think i will need to unless frosty weaather comes. its been balmy for sheep all autumn. if i get to 20th of dec without hay feeding i will be flyin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone got a price for beet this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    ewes are in great order mud fat some prob average fat score 4 so i can afford to let them lose a condition score for lambing mid february which they will naturally as grass gets tighter. i had budgeted to start giving hay in a rack next weekend but i wouldnt think i will need to unless frosty weaather comes. its been balmy for sheep all autumn. if i get to 20th of dec without hay feeding i will be flyin

Lambing at condition score 3 isn't good enough, they'll have no reserve to milk off their back, mid feb is only 9 weeks away and a long winter after.

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone got a price for beet this year?

E50-55 a tonne around here anyway

wrangler, what would u think i should do? i have scanning next week , would they benefit from the good quality hay from now?

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    wrangler, what would u think i should do? i have scanning next week , would they benefit from the good quality hay from now?

I'd monitor their condition, but I wouldn't lamb at condition score three.
    But you're right, four is probably too heavy for lambing, especially if you're using something like texel.
    Your grass is probably good enough for them, hard to know without seeing it, They don't need much mid pregnancy. Just monitor them, very hard to put condition on them in the last six weeks pregnancy if you let them go down.
    Ewes are very wooly now too so make sure you put a hand on them when you're condition scoring, If you're vaccinating five or six weeks out from lambing is a good time to examine them, also when you're scanning them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I agree with wrangler hard till put condition on them in last 6 weeks they will just put it into the lamb or lambs which is more bother lambing... I'd be giving them hay or silage from now on if your lambing February don't want till change there diet too late that could bring on its own problems aswell.

scanning friday so will be good time to handle them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

Does it pay to feed store lambs on grass? I bought 37 weighing from 28 to 35kgs. They also have access to beet tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Young95

Does it pay to feed store lambs on grass? I bought 37 weighing from 28 to 35kgs. They also have access to beet tops.

If they are close to 40kg yes but not the small lads. May let them frame up more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

What age and breed of lambs are these memory stick?

There a mix of Suffolk and border Leicester I think. Bought them in baltinglass a month ago. On tops and grass and getting a pinch of meal to keep them quiet but not every day as I work. Between 28 and 35 it's. Some of them are jumping like spring lambs which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If lambs are on beet tops, and grass run back they should not need nuts

If lambs are on beet tops, and grass run back they should not need nuts

I give them 5 kgs if they are near the yard. It's a handy way of keeping them quiet and it should pay for itself.

Whats the main differences between dirty and washed beet apart from the obvious:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Anyone ever fed sheep Mangolds?? Their a type of fodder tuber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Got a couple of bales sampled the other day using a handheld silage analysis machine at our Discussion Group. Don't know just how reliable it is as the Advisor sampled another sample twice and got two different readings.
    Anyway bales that were made late May were:
    DM - 37.94
    pH - 4.6
    ME - 11.75
    CP - 16.19
    D-val - 75.1

Bales made in late august were:
    DM - 27.12
    pH - 4.13
    ME - 10.6
    CP - 13.9
    D-val - 66.3

Think the ewes will be getting the first cut bales and ewe lambs will do alright on the second cut. I think the time has come to do a bit more reseeding as ME content is lower than i'd like, but this field hasn't been reseeded in donkeys years. Shouldn't require too much meal fed along with the first bales, will have to sit down and work it out.

How are lads getting on feeding beet? Neighbour said i can buy some off him if i need it, was thinking about getting some in case the winter does drag on and stretch the hay i have at least if the spring is good i can leave the hay in the shed till next year.
    Have the early ewes with lambs grazing some leafy turnips at the min and have a couple of acres of rape for the march lambers will be putting them on that next week so not fixed too bad but might be tight bales depending on weather

How are lads getting on feeding beet? Neighbour said i can buy some off him if i need it, was thinking about getting some in case the winter does drag on and stretch the hay i have at least if the spring is good i can leave the hay in the shed till next year.
    Have the early ewes with lambs grazing some leafy turnips at the min and have a couple of acres of rape for the march lambers will be putting them on that next week so not fixed too bad but might be tight bales depending on weather

Feeding beet outside here since Christmas. They're flying on it and I cut them back a bit last week after seeing them up close when we had them in for a foot-bath. They're getting approx 1 beet/day now (1kg), as well as the little pick of grass that's left. The beet isn't washed and I split it with a shovel (I like torture!). Very little left around the field the following day.

Will house in next week or two (depending on weather) and start twins on meal from early Feb as they're lambing mid-March. Will continue with 1kg of beet and straw for roughage when they're housed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Feeding beet outside here since Christmas. They're flying on it and I cut them back a bit last week after seeing them up close when we had them in for a foot-bath. They're getting approx 1 beet/day now (1kg), as well as the little pick of grass that's left. The beet isn't washed and I split it with a shovel (I like torture!). Very little left around the field the following day.

Will house in next week or two (depending on weather) and start twins on meal from early Feb as they're lambing mid-March. Will continue with 1kg of beet and straw for roughage when they're housed.

What meal are you going to feed?

• Advertisement

What meal are you going to feed?

Probably 18% nut with soya added on top.

Paid 320 euro/ton last year for 20%S or something like that and I don't think it did anything extra for them. Having said that, Spring was harsh last year so it's probably not the best time to judge the meal.

I don't mind paying good money for good meal, but when you're not 100% sure it'll make a difference tis hard to hand over the cash.

Anyone know the price it's making on the ground this year? The farming media are saying it's up a good bit from last year, but they mightn't be the most reliable sources!

What way to lads feed beet to housed ewes? Chop it here in middle with shovel and throwing into pens but finding it hard to get them started on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Chopping with a beet chopper and bucket into troughs after lambing and feeding a 20% ration. Use to use a old turnip pulper with a motor to chop for ewes.
    The ewes with lambs always get beet and ewe hoggets get it out on grass. The ewes would go mad while waiting on the beet to be fed and the young lambs eat a lot of beet with the ewes.

Probably 18% nut with soya added on top.

Paid 320 euro/ton last year for 20%S or something like that and I don't think it did anything extra for them. Having said that, Spring was harsh last year so it's probably not the best time to judge the meal.

I don't mind paying good money for good meal, but when you're not 100% sure it'll make a difference tis hard to hand over the cash.

Anyone know the price it's making on the ground this year? The farming media are saying it's up a good bit from last year, but they mightn't be the most reliable sources!

Grennans 18% €305 and Super 20% €325 in bags collected. The 'Super ewe and lamb' is really good. List of ingredients in order, Soya, maize,oats, beetpulp, barley,ditillers, wheat gluten, molasses.
    It worked well here last year
    18% ration is maize, oats, soya, beetpulp, distillers,barley, wheat gluten, molasses, maize nuggets.
    It's important to feed ewes well now up to lambing,

wrangler wrote: »
    Grennans 18% €305 and Super 20% €325 in bags collected. The 'Super ewe and lamb' is really good. List of ingredients in order, Soya, maize,oats, beetpulp, barley,ditillers, wheat gluten, molasses.
    It worked well here last year
    18% ration is maize, oats, soya, beetpulp, distillers,barley, wheat gluten, molasses, maize nuggets.
    It's important to feed ewes well now up to lambing,
    Ya thats what we are using. The 20% nut has soybean as the top ingredient.

Ya thats what we are using. The 20% nut has soybean as the top ingredient.

You're probably doing better on price, I didn't put the boot in on price yet, I just paid during the week and that was what they charged, not really buying enough now to bother

You're probably doing better on price, I didn't put the boot in on price yet, I just paid during the week and that was what they charged, not really buying enough now to bother

Ahah am only doing marginally better on price because i work in the place ha 320 for the 20%

Ahah am only doing marginally better on price because i work in the place ha 320 for the 20%

Not every branch stocks the Super, they might stock it nearer to lambing, I usually buy a ton and deal in tinnycross but had to go to moate for it this time.
    Had to go the whole way to Rath once last year to get it

Not every branch stocks the Super, they might stock it nearer to lambing, I usually buy a ton and deal in tinnycross but had to go to moate for it this time.
    Had to go the whole way to Rath once last year to get it

Is their a super 20% aswell? The 20% is called the 'elite ewe and lamb' here. The super e&l is an 18% i thought

• Advertisement

Is their a super 20% aswell? The 20% is called the 'elite ewe and lamb' here. The super e&l is an 18% i thought

The elite ewe and lamb is a nut, is it the same ingredients, the super ewe and lamb that I use is a ration.......but there's a super ewe and lamb nut thats 18% just to confuse everyone.
    I like the ration as opposed to the nut because I feed more concentrate and the nuts have a bit more molasses to bind them and the ewes would be a bit scoury.
    I don't know if there's still more molasses in the nut but there was more a few years ago

Is it safe to give cattle fattner ration to store lambs? I'm conscious of the copper but these should be finished in 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is it safe to give cattle fattner ration to store lambs? I'm conscious of the copper but these should be finished in 2 months.
    I'm not saying its safe but i did it this year. I had some cattle fattening cubes left over from the last lot of cattle i finished. However I brought a few small bags of lamb ration and mixed it together. No problem all gone and got good money for my finished lambs.
    I wasn't comfortable doing it but hey life is a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What breeding is In the lambs and what type soil are you on?

I bought them in Baltinglass. Land is good grassland but always give copper to cattle as soil can be high in molybdenum. They have loads of grass. Bought 10 ton of meal earlier for the heifers but it mightn't be all used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Brought in, in lamb ewes yesterday they are due March 10th. Was going to do it this week, glad I did now given the weather that is forecast.

• Advertisement

I'm planning to house the ewes on Friday afternoon (due to lamb from 12th March) but the forecast says now tis supposed to rain Friday morning.

I know they're supposed to be dry going into the shed, but how big a deal is this?

Do they *have* to be dry, as in don't house them unless they're dry? Or is it a case of, it'd be better if they were dry but sure they'll be grand anyway.

I'm planning to house the ewes on Friday afternoon (due to lamb from 12th March) but the forecast says now tis supposed to rain Friday morning.

I know they're supposed to be dry going into the shed, but how big a deal is this?

Do they *have* to be dry, as in don't house them unless they're dry? Or is it a case of, it'd be better if they were dry but sure they'll be grand anyway.

Better not going in saturated, damp is no problem, an airy shed will dry them.

Better not going in saturated, damp is no problem, an airy shed will dry them.

Tis good and airy alright!

Touch wood the rain won't be too bad. Was planing on giving them Ivomec and footbath in advance so don't fancy getting too wet myself out in it either

Touch wood the rain won't be too bad. Was planing on giving them Ivomec and footbath in advance so don't fancy getting too wet myself out in it either

Yea you're right, housing can be stressful too, better not to do too much the one day, also be careful if you're changing diet....you probably know all that anyway

Pouron or injection? Im not convinced of their merits in sheep imo. A plunge dipper is the best way about it imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement