Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep winter fodder

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »

Yea you're right, housing can be stressful too, better not to do too much the one day, also be careful if you're changing diet....you probably know all that anyway

Thanks again. They’ve been getting a little beet outside and will be getting the same when they go in so hopefully not too much upset. But I’ll be watching them all closely for the first few days. Lost one last year after housing to twin-lamb and don’t want to lose another this year.

Re Ivomec: I was looking at our supplies this evening and there’s not enough to do them all so I’m re-considering this side of things. It would have been an injection of Ivomec Classic and they’ll be already get an injection of Tribovax as their annual booster for clostridia. I’m thinking now maybe one injection would be enough stress in the one go and I’ll skip buying more Ivomec (though it’s not that expensive in fairness)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks again. They’ve been getting a little beet outside and will be getting the same when they go in so hopefully not too much upset. But I’ll be watching them all closely for the first few days. Lost one last year after housing to twin-lamb and don’t want to lose another this year.

Re Ivomec: I was looking at our supplies this evening and there’s not enough to do them all so I’m re-considering this side of things. It would have been an injection of Ivomec Classic and they’ll be already get an injection of Tribovax as their annual booster for clostridia. I’m thinking now maybe one injection would be enough stress in the one go and I’ll skip buying more Ivomec (though it’s not that expensive in fairness)

Very easy stress a sheep, Tommy the vet (Heffernan) had an interesting theory saying they are still wild, They don't show any weakness even if they are feeling rotten. That's why you'd imagine they drop dead for no reason,
    I think he might have a point.
    Two injections probably wouldn't be any harm though even at housing if you handle them gently, but if I was doing it I'd leave a week between housing and injecting but you'd really need to be getting the vaccine in this weekend so do it all together......carefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Very easy stress a sheep, Tommy the vet (Heffernan) had an interesting theory saying they are still wild, They don't show any weakness even if they are feeling rotten. That's why you'd imagine they drop dead for no reason,
    I think he might have a point.
    Two injections probably wouldn't be any harm though even at housing if you handle them gently, but if I was doing it I'd leave a week between housing and injecting but you'd really need to be getting the vaccine in this weekend so do it all together......carefully

I completely agree with the above theory.

I had one with twin lamb already I didn't like the lifeline stuff plus the expense of it. I gave her a grovite type dose and alaymin. It was looking dodgy for a day or so but she's back to herself this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

kk.man wrote: »
    I completely agree with the above theory.

I had one with twin lamb already I didn't like the lifeline stuff plus the expense of it. I gave her a grovite type dose and alaymin. It was looking dodgy for a day or so but she's back to herself this evening.

Is she far off of lambing?
    Mine are still out, had 2 on their backs today, got to both on time thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is she far off of lambing?
    Mine are still out, had 2 on their backs today, got to both on time thankfully.

Could be up to 4 weeks. It's hit n miss ..some u win.
    You were lucky with those two. I put out double cattle troughs with legs in the fields..don't know if it helps but another option for them to scratch standing up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    Could be up to 4 weeks. It's hit n miss ..some u win.
    You were lucky with those two. I put out double cattle troughs with legs in the fields..don't know if it helps but another option for them to scratch standing up!

Havent lost a sheep on their back for a few years now, last time there was 2 on their back only 20 yards from each other. Saved one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Always when housing ewes we put down a good bed of straw and don’t dose etc on that day, this year the ewes went in wet and lay down for nearly 24 hours due to the bad weather and then were bone dry. As for what tommy the vet says I’d take it with a pinch of salt. No longer a vet and more a YouTube personality.

Advertisement