Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Friendly Home Alarm Systems

Options
  • 20-08-2018 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey

I just got a decent quote for a house alarm from homesecure, but the sales person was insistent that my cat would trigger the motion sensor, even though the website says all alarms are Pet Friendly.

I got a much more expensive quote from Securicore who insisted that the cat would definitely not trigger a wireless motion sensor.

Are the wireless sensors the two companies use that different, can anyone vouch for their own pet friendly alarm systems?

I would just feel a little bit better with a motion sensor than a shock sensor but it looks like I might have to go for the window shock sensor

Also the cat has a catflap on the front door, she wouldn't like being left out every night :(

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

I have a small dog. I have motion sensors & they are covered at the bottom with a piece of white paper so they don't pick up the dog wandering around but they would pick up a person walking around. I have used them for 5 years now & they work perfectly- the only thing is I would imagine your cat would possibly jump up on furniture etc? The sensor would probably pick them up if that's the case. I have more trouble with my shock sensors as the dog sometimes scrapes the patio door barking at cats which sets it off so I'm not sure they would be an option for your door with the cat flap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

We had this problem for a long time until I got the alarm reconfigured. Have two dogs who are left inside when we go out. We had to revert to shocks on all windows and doors and 'part arm' when dogs are in. If dogs are out set 'full arm' and motions kick in. The dogs have never set off the shocks on the doors by scraping/knocking against the doors and the rear is a patio door so Im sure they see cats etc when were out.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

thanks guys, looks like i'll have to go with shock sensors all round so. I would say the cat actually probably will set off the sensors, by jumping up on counters, tables etc.

I did think that motion sensors kindof used the "heat vision" (same one that the Predator uses) and that they could recognise something as small as a cat as opposed to a house robber.

The benefit of shock sensors I suppose is that I can set the alarm while in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 conor o brien

Honeywell make PIRs that are pet tolerent, they are meant to be very good. They are only a £10 on Amazon, would be worth a try if you wanted to leave PIR on.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Animals and PIR`s don`t mix. You cant say whether the animal is going to jump up and down or climb on furniture. Its not worth the heartache so you are better to stick with perimeter sensors on your windows and doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Animals and PIR`s don`t mix. You cant say whether the animal is going to jump up and down or climb on furniture. Its not worth the heartache so you are better to stick with perimeter sensors on your windows and doors

Yea, I'm tending to agree with you, if an animal didn't set off a PIR it wouldn't be a particularly good sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The benefit of shock sensors I suppose is that I can set the alarm while in the house.

That's one benefit, however detection of an attempted break-in versus someone being in your house is the main one imo.

Advertisement