Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as bird proof grass seed?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

...and if so does it work?
    I scarified my lawn and over seeded. I think the sparrows have every single seed eaten and it wasn't cheap. 😣

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Only solution I've found to work 100% is to suspend netting over it. Maybe not an option for a large lawn. I've seen people put long rope lines with plastic tied on at intervals to act as flags, but the birds around here just walk under them.

I don't like using plastic netting in the garden as birds can get tangled up in it.

I usually go over the seed with some topsoil and repeat that every few days. They won't find it all and once that fresh grass is a couple of inches long I'll repeat the process. Takes longer, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've read that you can cover it with plastic, but then the plsstic would probably cost more than the grass seed....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did you rake it in well with topsoil & peat moss OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

fryup wrote: »
    did you rake it in well with topsoil & peat moss OP?

No:o It's a very big lawn and after scarifying the whole lot was patchy so i had to overseed the entire area. . It would have been a huge job. Is what you mentioned an absolute neccessity?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well for one thing it makes the seeds less noticeable, and it does promote growth as long as you give it a good soaking of water afterwards

yes its hard graft on a big area, but you do want a lushes green lawn don't you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement