Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you give your little ones for breakfast?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a 14 month old little man, normally a great eater but recently it's a real battle to get him to eat his breakfast. I have always given him Weetabix, but he's gone right off it. I tried Ready Brek flavoured with apple puree, but he wasn't so keen on that. I would prefer not to start down the route of Rice Krispies etc and he isn't the biggest egg fan either! Just wondering what others give their little people for breakfast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little boy is 7.5 months so it’s a bit different but I give him:
    Toast with peanut butter or cream cheese
    Porridge
    Ready brek
    Pancakes
    Rice Krispies with yogurt
    Shreddies (high in sugar but he doesn’t eat them anyway, it’s more to practice his pincer grip)
    Porridge fingers
    Omelette
    Edit: banana bread

On the list to try:
    Shredded wheat soaked in milk
    French toast
    Vegetable muffins

He always gets fruit with the above as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I always find 14 mths is a food "wobble" time.I don't know why, seems to be teeth, independence and a combo of other stuff.
    Try banana pancakes (small), overnight oats,toast.In our house, Ready brek with a sprinkle of honey goes down well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fruit. Our lads love melon and bananas in particular. We offer buttered toast also. And weetabix. Porridge is a hit too but we stopped making it in the warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

bee06 wrote: »
    Porridge
    Ready brek
    Pancakes
    Shreddies (high in sugar but he doesn’t eat them anyway, it’s more to practice his pincer grip)
    Porridge fingers
    Omelette

On the list to try:
    French toast
    Vegetable muffins

That all sounds so yummy and healthy!

shesty wrote: »
    I always find 14 mths is a food "wobble" time.I don't know why, seems to be teeth, independence and a combo of other stuff.
    Try banana pancakes (small), overnight oats,toast.In our house, Ready brek with a sprinkle of honey goes down well too.

Yes I agree with the 'wobble', I think he wants to feed himself with the spoon but just can't quite manage. I sometimes get a few spoons into him by letting him 'feed' me, but it's hard work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

ncmc wrote: »

Yes I agree with the 'wobble', I think he wants to feed himself with the spoon but just can't quite manage. I sometimes get a few spoons into him by letting him 'feed' me, but it's hard work!

Distraction I find helps. My 14 month old is also getting independent and doesn't really want to be fed any more. Breakfast is about the only meal where I can still feed him (readybrek with some fruit puree mixed through) and sometimes when he doesn't want to take the food I find distracting him with a toy or anything takes his focus away from the spoon and he seems to eat away for me. It's been working well the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Big ready brek fans over here. I usually put fresh berries or a mashed up banana in it.

Also eats a lot of toast, and is a demon for demanding some of his dad's cereal.

Other than that, more fruit, yoghurt, rice cakes. Occasionally egg but that's more of a lunchtime favourite in our house.

Instagram is great for ideas and recipes. I follow a lot of baby led weaning accounts. You have to ignore some of them because the presentation is ridiculous! The porridge fingers, muffins, pancakes and banana bread is great for freezing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Not judging so please don't think so! :)

Maybe it's we have a deadly nut allergyin close family so are paranoid about them but I would have thought this a bad idea no?

Reati wrote: »
    Not judging so please don't think so! :)

Maybe it's we have a deadly nut allergy so are paranoid about them but I would have thought this a bad idea no?

The current recommendation is to give all allergens between 6 months and a year to avoid the child developing an allergy. The exception is if a close family member has an allergy and in that case medical advice should be sought first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Shreddies and milk for my 2 year old.

I gave my 6.5 month old peanut butter on toast yesterday. Wanted to rule out any allergies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh both of mine started that at that age too, with the spoon.I just gave them a spoon and had one for me.Get spoonfuls in yourself in between his attempts.Easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am using baby led weaning with our 9 month old. We make lots of banana oat, blueberry, apple cinnamon or raspberry pancakes here. There is a great recipe for apple, banana and carrot muffins online too, sweetened with vanilla extract. I usually put cream cheese on this. I batchcook all of these and freeze them. Similar to Bee, our little fella loves omlettes (I add tomatoes, cheese, spring onion etc.). He loves French toast too. For ease, I will sometimes give him peanut butter, cream cheese, avocado or banana on toast. I try to keep it as varied as possible because I would eat the same thing for months then get sick of it so I am trying to mix it up with the baby.

I just screen grabbed this recipe for chia seed pudding from instagram!

Screenshot to follow when I make it small enough!

I just screen grabbed this recipe for chia seed pudding from instagram!

Screenshot to follow when I make it small enough!

+ screenshot hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

+ screenshot hopefully!

That's great. Chia seeds are great for the gloopy texture, I use them to make strawberry 'jam'.

A good way to get in more soon pactice as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Herself is hitting the 8th Month mark and id normally give her

Readybreak/oatmeal mix with a bit of fruit puree or sometimes I added in a bit of jam just to change it up
    Weetabix
    Pureed fruits - Annable K has some nice fruit compote recipes
    Oatmeal with a bit of yogurt or just yogurt.
    Have been trying her on bits of soft fruit also so she can play around with it.

I was all against the rice krispie route but have to say they do work as a snack to keep her entertained, gave them to her this morning in a bowl with milk and she loved it. Gave her the spoon to mess around with and she really enjoyed trying to use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I find mini weetabix handy for a snack/breakfast too.
    I give them dry or with fruit, to work away with while I’m doing other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

didn't know they had mini one jLm quite handy id say must pop them on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shalclon

Porridge
    Ready brek
    Pancakes
    Porridge fingers
    Omelette

On the list to try:
    French toast
    Vegetable muffins

Great list, what are porridge fingers can I ask?

• Advertisement

shalclon wrote: »
    Great list, what are porridge fingers can I ask?

The recipe I use is 1 cup of rolled oats, 0.5 cup of milk and puréed/mashed fruit is optional.

Stir the oats and milk together and leave to soak for 5 mins. Spoon out any excess milk and mix in the fruit. Press into a lined baking dish and bake for 20 mins at 200deg C. Leave to cool and cut into fingers.

I have tried a recipe microwaving instead of baking but it didn’t work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

They sound lovely bee, by porridge fingers I thought you meant you allowed him to eat porridge with his hands and I thought it was baby led weaning to the extreme 😂 How long do they keep once baked and do you just use regular porridge oats?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

I've never managed to get the porridge fingers right!! They always end up a sticky mess-am clearly doing something wrong!

I find the mini shredded wheat really handy-soak in milk and they love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ive made porridge fingers a couple of times, they always taste like cardboard and get flung straight on the floor. And I can’t blame anyone for doing it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cheerios, milk and a banana most mornings. Sometimes the cheerios are replaced by rice krispies (or coco pops if Missus is giving them brekkie). Odd time they will get toast but it is not everyday we would have bread.

edit porridge is disgusting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

porridge sometimes some dry cheerios at same time finger food.
    does your baby have bottle still ? I give my 13 month old bottle if wakes during night however find if he drinks any after 5.30 or 6 won't be as keen on breakfast.
    if he still seems hungry after porridge has some toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Porridge fingers here are just skinny cut flapjacks. Oats, Raisins, butter, honey... Baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Porridge with fruit puree and toast with butter is the usual order here.

They will sometimes eat dry cheerios and sultanas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Porridge every morning without fai for the whole familyl. We make loads of the things mentioned up thread but they would be snacks or lunches. If they don’t eat the porridge, it’s taken away and they can wait until next meal/snack.

• Advertisement

They sound lovely bee, by porridge fingers I thought you meant you allowed him to eat porridge with his hands and I thought it was baby led weaning to the extreme 😂 How long do they keep once baked and do you just use regular porridge oats?

Ha, sorry! I forgot not everyone speaks BLW! Yeah just normal porridge oats. I’m not sure how long they’d last. I usually keep a couple out for his breakfast the next morning and freeze the rest.

Advertisement