Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National hive poly

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a new national hive, what is the feedback on poly hives, pros cons over wooden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Pro:
    - may be cheaper
    - much lighter. A wooden hive full of bees is very heavy and unwieldy.
    - better heat insulation
    - may come with a feeder, so no need to buy one
    - easy to paint with masonry paint

Cons:
    - not as sturdy. I can stand on my wooden brood box even if it is turned on a side, poly box would be crushed
    - poly nucs that I have have no frame runners, so frames gets propolized to the box, making it difficult to prize out the first frame. As a consequence, more damage to sides of the box
    - easy to damage when scraping excess propolis/wax with a hive tool

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

jap gt wrote: »
    Im looking for a new national hive, what is the feedback on poly hives, pros cons over wooden

Pro:

Even when a poly box comes flat packed like the Swienty ones, they assemble in about 10 seconds. without tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't like how they can be damaged easier. I haven't any poly full hives but always use poly nucs. They always overwinter better in them.

Advertisement