Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written Examiner payment 2018

• 20-08-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,
    Has anyone received payment yet? If so, what subject and when did you send in your forms?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Email financial@examinations.ie with your pps and they'll tell you where your claim is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Lol I was a superintendent and am still waiting to be paid so good luck getting paid for the examining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Payment is usually 30 working days from receipt of claim form. So given that the earliest corrections start mid June and finish mid July, I wouldn't expect any payments to be made until early September at best. My forms were only sent in two weeks ago, I'm not expecting to see any money until October realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

They're processing the written examiners' money at the moment. They emailed me with a query yesterday saying they were processing the claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

Did anyone correct Maths? If so would they mind sharing what they received? Just so I can tell myself that I was right all along!!

• Advertisement

Payment for correcting arrived into my account this morning!!! Happy days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cestmoi2

What subject/ level?

PM sent

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Payment for correcting arrived into my account this morning!!! Happy days!!!

Or rather when did you submit your claim form roughly?

*checks bank balance, no change*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just checked online banking now and still not there. I posted everything financial to my senior examiner as required on 19 July, the day I finished correcting (LC AL). The senior examiner is meant to then send the details of all examiners under them into the SEC together. Rang the SEC in early August and they said they only received it from the senior examiner on 2 August. Two weeks later. Why such a delay?

As above, I was also told they hoped to pay everybody within 30 working days (of 2 August). 5 days x 6 weeks = 30 days. Having to wait up to 8 weeks/almost two months for payment for work for the SEC is not right. Looking at their considerable difficulties recruiting examiners this summer, they cannot afford to treat examiners like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Just checked online banking now and still not there. I posted everything financial to my senior examiner as required on 19 July, the day I finished correcting (LC AL). The senior examiner is meant to then send the details of all examiners under them into the SEC together. Rang the SEC in early August and they said they only received it from the senior examiner on 2 August. Two weeks later. Why such a delay?

As above, I was also told they hoped to pay everybody within 30 working days (of 2 August). 5 days x 6 weeks = 30 days. Having to wait up to 8 weeks/almost two months for payment for work for the SEC is not right. Looking at their considerable difficulties recruiting examiners this summer, they cannot afford to treat examiners like this.

Maybe not everyone was as prompt as yourself

It’s pointless counting from July 19. You know perfectly well the sec were not going to get it on that date. Some examiners as said in the post above may not have been as prompt as you. Your adviser isn’t going to send paperwork off until they get paperwork from everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It’s pointless counting from July 19. You know perfectly well the sec were not going to get it on that date. Some examiners as said in the post above may not have been as prompt as you. Your adviser isn’t going to send paperwork off until they get paperwork from everyone.

Then it would surely be fairer for the examiner to send their financial things directly to the SEC, and allow people who are less prompt in sending it to have a less prompt payment.

Then it would surely be fairer for the examiner to send their financial things directly to the SEC, and allow people who are less prompt in sending it to have a less prompt payment.

It doesn’t mean there would be prompt payment and you are only taking a couple of days at most. You sent your paperwork to your adviser on the 19th so they probably got it on the 20th. That was a Friday. Allowing for a few days delay for late posting let’s assume they got everything by Tuesday 23rd and were able to post everything to their chief the same day. Chief gets forms on 24th. They are also getting forms from other advisers. Might also be a delay here. They are not just posting claim forms to the sec, there is also other paperwork. So check all the other paperwork and wait until all of it comes in from all advisers. Post everything on 31st July/1st August. Sec receive the lot on the 2nd. It’s quite a reasonable timeline.

There is probably someone in the SEC who has been assigned to process all the claim forms for a particular subject. They can do them in a batch if they come in as a batch and sign off on that subject effectively. As you are required to send them to your adviser it guarantees that they come in quickly. Under the old system examiners sent them in themselves. I presume they were sorted by subject when that happened. It also meant that for accounting purposes Sec were often paying people in the next financial year for work completed the previous year as they were so slow at sending them in.

I was only talking to a friend recently who did practical examination work for the SEC this year. The requirement to send the form to the adviser doesn’t exist here for some reason. She only sent in her claim form three months after completing the work. If the SEC know when forms are likely to come in the work can be spread out accordingly.

We used to send the forms off ourselves to the SEC. Then this new rule came in about sending them to your AE to get signed off. One year in October I still hadn't been paid and the SEC told me my AE had not sent in any of his group's payment forms. This year I sent everything off to my AE on Tuesday July 23rd. Really surprised to be paid so early. Looked at my payslip that arrived today and the amount taken out is just horrendous. With the USC not being taken off from next year, I'll be up 700 Euro. Hope everyone else gets paid soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Also, Advising Examiners send theirs in complete batches to the Chief Advising Examiner. It only takes one lax examiner, AE or CAE for the forms to be well delayed in being submitted together.

Time was I was paid in November for summer corrections so I'll be quite happy as long as I get before end of September.

I got an email from the SEC today asking me about something on my claim form and then another email about 2 minutes later from the same person saying to disregard the query, and they were processing my form. I only sent it to my AE around the august bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 helenl711

I finished up around the 18/19 July, no payment yet. I remember for about four years, up until last year actually, no money landed in my account until the third week in October. Couldn't believe it last year when payment arrived the first week of September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I reckon, no matter what they say about processing dates, that they do the bigger subjects first. My pament is traditionally a lot later than my friend who does LC Maths, even though we always finish up well before them.

helenl711 wrote: »
    I finished up around the 18/19 July, no payment yet. I remember for about four years, up until last year actually, no money landed in my account until the third week in October. Couldn't believe it last year when payment arrived the first week of September!

SEC lost staff during the recession and the freeze on hiring in the public sector. I didn't get paid until November one year. Things are quite efficient the last two years or so, and I'd imagine some streamlining has been done internally. If my claim was being processed today I would expect to get paid next week. That's a five week turnaround.

• Advertisement

Any JC correctors get paid yet?

Email financial@examinations.ie with your pps number and they tell will tell you how far along your payment is.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Got paid yesterday; got taxed to the hills :(

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Got paid yesterday; got taxed to the hills :(

What level was that if you don't mind me asking?

cestmoi2 wrote: »
    What level was that if you don't mind me asking?

LC OL

LC OL
    Thank you! Waiting on JC here

cestmoi2 wrote: »
    Thank you! Waiting on JC here

Best of luck with the pay cheque! Hope you aren't taxed as badly as I was!!

Best of luck with the pay cheque! Hope you aren't taxed as badly as I was!!
    Bracing myself! :(

That happened me last year Sean. Even though I had the tax arranged with revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm really not expecting this til the end of the month, even though an LC friend of mine who finished a week after me has been paid. I think they do the LC first and then the JC.

I was paid super-quick for examining JC practical work back in June.

Advertisement